Looking for suitable Lens

salleh1987

Nov 27, 2012
Singapore, Singapore
Hi im looking for suitable lens for landscape shots like sunset and sunrise and building scapes photography.. as well as potrait shots maybe.. Can u guys recommend me Lens That has a price of $800 below.. Looking for lens that has sharp images product.. thanks guys! 😊
Dont mine me im a newbie!

OK then we won't mind you. After all, you provide zero information, so it's not worth minding this post

Hi im looking for suitable lens for landscape shots like sunset and sunrise and building scapes photography.. as well as potrait shots maybe.. Can u guys recommend me Lens That has a price of $800 below.. Looking for lens that has sharp images product.. thanks guys! ��
Dont mine me im a newbie!

What limitation do you see with your current kit lens? At most, I would suggest a 50mm f/1.8 for portraits. Other than that, use your kit lens. If you need to ask these sort of questions, then it's obvious you should not be spending more money on photography yet. Once you understand more, you will naturally know what lens(es) you need and won't need to ask.

I agree with catchlights. Use the kit lens that comes with the camera. It's there for the simple reason that it covers a lot of possible scenarios (more or less). It helps the beginners to get familiar with the basics. Some brands offer different kit lenses (e.g. Canon), use what your budget allows.
Once you know (= you have acquired knowledge, skills, experience) it will be obvious for you what lens you might need for certain scenarios and you don't need to ask.

Ok ive got the 50mm 1.8 which i use for potrait photography.. i just felt like with the kit lens 18:55 i got here doesnt give sharp images.. btw im using canon 600D.. Just wanted a wide angle lens that will produce sharp quality images.. buy dont really know which lens i should buy..

Ok ive got the 50mm 1.8 which i use for potrait photography.. i just felt like with the kit lens 18:55 i got here doesnt give sharp images.. btw im using canon 600D.. Just wanted a wide angle lens that will produce sharp quality images.. buy dont really know which lens i should buy..

get the 14L

17-55 f2.8? I think is way above your budget.

you need a ultra wide?
Tokina 11-16?
you will still need your kit lens to cover the rest or the focal length.

Maybe u can post some of your pics here to give us a feel?

Over 90% of the time someone comes on CS and says their photos are not sharp, it turns out that it's the user, NOT the camera or lens. If the Photozone tests of the 18-55IS are accurate, that's a bloody sharp lens, especially given the price! Distortion and CA could be a little high, but mostly can be eliminated in software.
Before you go out and plonk your hard-earned money on a new lens in a futile search for sharpness, I'd suggest you make sure it's not really you that's the weak link.

- When you say portrait photography, indoor or outdoor? studio or non studio environment?
- Wide, how wide? * If you are shooting wide like 18mm, I do hope you are not shooting head & shoulder shots or tight head shots *
- With or without flash?
- What is the kind of shot you are trying to achieve? You can show us some examples of what you envisioned and what you have actually shot and the members here will see how to help you... It may (very likely) not be the equipment issue here.

Also...sharpness isn't everything... If you composition is crap, it's just sharp crap even if it's sharp.

If you are not getting sharp images with the kit lens, then 99% sure it's the fault of what's behind the camera. Usual errors are shooting at f/22 etc.

If you are not getting sharp images with the kit lens, then 99% sure it's the fault of what's behind the camera. Usual errors are shooting at f/22 etc.

usual error is shooting on Auto and hoping it works miracles

kit lens seems very decent.

kit lens is decent but if u want a profession sharp image then of course something better than the kit lens will give u a shaper image. if you wan to save cost u can always use software like lightroom to adjust the sharpness and detail how but adjusting with the software its guarantee u will lose some quality but usually wont affect much unless u need a super high resolution image without any quality lost.

If you really want to spend money buying lens which is good can cheap , u can try going for 17-50mm tamiron lens, its about the same as the 17-55mm cannon lens which is price super high by canon.

Actually from my knowledge, 18-55 is decent for normal usage. If you are pixel peeking, most lens wont give you the sharpness. Try macro lens ba, its usually the sharpest lens around, u can see insect hair in there =D
Also try shooting at f5.6-f8 for sharp images =D

kit lens is decent but if u want a profession sharp image then of course something better than the kit lens will give u a shaper image. if you wan to save cost u can always use software like lightroom to adjust the sharpness and detail how but adjusting with the software its guarantee u will lose some quality but usually wont affect much unless u need a super high resolution image without any quality lost.

If you really want to spend money buying lens which is good can cheap , u can try going for 17-50mm tamiron lens, its about the same as the 17-55mm cannon lens which is price super high by canon.

Tamron lens you mean? anyway watch for lemons, there are alot of focusin issue. i was using thinking of saving money on that Tamron17-50mm, then i got a bad copy. back focusing issue to be exact, thus i buy the canon super high expensive non-L lens 17-55 f2.8, and i never regret. but my pocket got a big hole after that;p

since you have 50mm f1.8 for potrait.. maybe you want to have a look at tokina 11-16/12-24 or sigma 8-16/10-20 for your landscape purposes?

but if you want to replace your kit lens.. tamron or sigma 17-50 f2.8 is good..

Last edited: