Looking for SLR body or lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damien

Apr 14, 2003
Sengkang
Met a few clubsnap members last month and they seem to be happy with slr than digital camera.
So i shall start this thread where experienced users can recommend cheap but good bodies or lens, and also for newbies to look for reference here to prevent kenna cheated loh..

PLease do list the model as well as the 2nd hand market price. DO add your personal comments ya...

Regards,
Damien

canon
--------
canon eos 50 (2nd hand ard $250)
tamron af 28-200mm or the new 28-300mm (eh dunno the price)

nikon
-------
nikon f80 (ard $500 2nd hand)
sigma 28-200mm (dunno price)

just a suggestion for beginner setup, maybe flash can use built-in one first to save some $

Hmm.. me thinking of looking for a slr to take mainly potraits, (cos need to print out ya). ANYone here can reccomend a good body and lens? Prefer to be under $200, hope is sufficient lol..

Originally posted by Damien
Hmm.. me thinking of looking for a slr to take mainly potraits, (cos need to print out ya). ANYone here can reccomend a good body and lens? Prefer to be under $200, hope is sufficient lol..

I wouldn't know about other makes as i am a Canon user. At your budget mentioned above, you would probably be able to buy a used Canon eos 66 kit; lens plus the consumer 28-90mm lens (4.5-5.6 i think!)

The camera would allow you to learn a bit into the basics of photography, but IMHO will not be something that you would want to hold on to for a long while (but given your budget...)

aperature of 4.5 aint too impressive for good portraits though. (a lens with a bigger aperture like 2.8/2 would be able to blur out the background more)

I second chyeo's recommendation of the eos 50 (father of the current eos 30 - i meant the camera, not chyeo :p). the features are sufficient to keep you satisfied with it for quite a while. Body alone would blow your budget though. There are quite a few at TCW the last time i saw (about a week ago).

hmm actually if you wanna take portraits, doesn't really depend on the body... more on the lens actually...

you might want to get a canon eos 33 with vertical grip (convenient for your portraits) and a canon 85mm f1.8 usm. this lens is proven good for portraits.

but then again, at a budget of $200 you probably wun be able to get anything. maybe 1 item only. maybe you can raise your budget to $400 or $500? then can work something out for you.

You might be able to get a 2nd hand minolta body for $200. I bought my minolta 700si from ahpengpeng for $300 last month.

Originally posted by reno77
You might be able to get a 2nd hand minolta body for $200. I bought my minolta 700si from ahpengpeng for $300 last month.

true, but lens how?

Check out Yahoo Singapore auctions. There is currently a dynax 5xi with a minolta AF 28 - 80mm lens going for $199.

http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo.com/sg/auction/73317563?aucview=0x13

If you want to have more fun and learn more I'd recommend getting a manual SLR camera. I recommend a Pentax Spotmatic F, since thats the one i have :)

Thank you everyone!

So i presume i have to take a len with a small f no. for a shallow depth of field (for good potrait effects) correct?

And am i right to say lens with small f no. are more ex cos those cheap lens that come with the package have f no. of 3.5 to 5.6???? So sad if thats the case, maybe will start look for slr only when I can find a job first!! haha, cos me just graduated.

Thanks for the advice though, keep them coming!

Regards,
Damien

Hi Damien

it's good to see someone actually looking for film SLR camera when everyone seem to be heading toward the Digital counterpart.

If u are only looking for a SLR to try out and not going to do any serious photography with it, i would suggest that u get those cheap SLR. The differences between pro SLR and entry-level SLR are those extra features that u won't be using. Of cos, on top of that, u will have faster AF, ECF and better mettering. But all these can be do without if u are just trying out.

I won't said that entry-level SLR are all that bad.. there have all the features a SLR need to have, minus the extra features that u don't need to have. i'm a canon user so i would recommend canon :)

EOS 300/300V, EOS 50/55 and EOS 66. These 3 model are the ones that u can try to look for.

EOS 300 is light and i would recommend it as the best camera for newbies because of it value for money. moreover, it's still available in the market so it's a plus for those who just cannot accept 2nd hand stuff. 2nd hand price (body only) shld be around $250. not very sure cos i don't see ppl selling this

EOS 50 has more features than EOS 300 but it's a older model and has been discontinued i think in 1998. And tht's why u can get this camera at abt the same 2nd hand price as EOS 300. Abt $250-$300. Same price but better value.. but it's heavier and since it's older, the external condition might not be as good

EOS 66. not sure how good or bad cos never used it before. but i think this is the cheapest canon SLR camera.

Good len don't come cheap. but if potrait is wht u intend to take, a cheap alternative is the Canon 50mm f/1.8 MKII. new one is $100+ if i'm not wrong. 2nd hand for this len can be easily found, either here or in the shop..

I understand that there are many canon and nikon users here in clubsnap. many of them are willing to let u have a feel of the body or lens. so, maybe u can organise a BG session and try out a few model and then make the decision.

if ur budget 200 only a bit hard to do, but u may want to consider MF cameras if you dun need all the bells, whistles and gizmos...may be slightly cheaper, and also a prime lens...to keep your cost down....

try searching around for a Nikon FM + 50mm f1.8 lens.

Still, if u wanna better portrait lens, with good BOKEH, a 105mm lens is better.

No way near your S$200 budget though.

Photography is an expensive hobby... :(

When buying a camera or lens, u are buying INTO A SYSTEM. So, consider carefully...as u might loose MUCH MORE money later if u change system.

i'm currently using a second hand MF camera as well. So thought of doing a gradual upgrade to an eos system. I'm intending to branch into wedding photography. Having thought of getting a 10D, the initial cost of dumping $2690 for a body as a poor student is kinda hard to swallow. So i probably stick with a film base camera for the time being. :D Oops..hope i'm not getting off thread here.

Hi

Suggest u get either a EOS 300v or F75.

I am glad that I bot the 300v. Both cameras cost $620 +- at Cathay.

Student or working adults, if one wants a very decently good SLR u gotta pay.

Jeff

agree with what xmax said. perhaps Damien you should come to SEED? the people there might have some models to let you have a feel with.

haha, seems like there is still some hope cos I can get a canon body (500) for less than $200 and then look for the Canon 50mm f/1.8MKII in TCW as reccomemended by XMax.

As for CHyeo, i will go down SEEDS sometime though cos now shaking legs at home also.. haha..

Regards,
DAmien

EOS 500!
ohh.. tht's history.. but then, if it's only for try out, anything goes!

just saw someone selling a very new 50mm in the buy and sell.
claimed to be used for only 30min
bought at $130 + $15 filter. selling at $130 for all.

have to make myself clear.. i'm not related to the seller :D

but u can judge how much for a older 2nd hand from there.

haha, seems like there is still some hope cos I can get a canon body (500) for less than $200 and then look for the Canon 50mm f/1.8MKII in TCW as reccomemended by XMax.

As for CHyeo, i will go down SEEDS sometime though cos now shaking legs at home also.. haha..

Regards,
DAmien

go to the seed on 21st may loh...

eos 500 is the first slr i owned! but mine is eos 500n lah, the silver one...

yeah u can get that one, good camera. served me well for 7 years++

Status
Not open for further replies.