Looking for Prosumer Point & Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headshotzx

Dec 14, 2007
Punggol
Hey guys. Yeah it's me. Again.

I own a 400D, couple of lenses and a 580EXII flash. I've been thinking of replacing my mom's old Lumix 4mp camera (back in 2005, it cost only S$200+, so it's old!) with something that's updated. It's not just for my mom, but also for me when I don't want to lug around all my gear to school, yet still want to capture moments.

I am totally out of sync of the PnS market, and I'm totally lost. Cost shall not be the issue here (as long as it doesn't cost more than S$800 for the standalone camera please)

What I'd like in the camera:

- Manual capabilities
- Good Noise Handling, at least at ISO200/400 (coming from a dslr shooter, I'd be very critical with this factor)
- Image stabilisation (all PnS have this now, right?)
- Hotshoe mount available (for use with my speedlite, or a strobist setup)
- Pocketable (so no S5-IS for me, I don't need it, and neither does my mom)
- Tripod mountable
- Cost (Less than S$800 is preferable)

Deal sweeteners: Fast flash sync speed (for strobist shoots), good battery life.

The Canon G9 caught my attention. It's got everything I need, but I heard that the noise handling isn't good. Hmm?

So, with regards to the G9, what's a good prosumer PnS? I heard of the Lumix LX3. How's that compared to the G9?

I've heard rumors of the G10 coming out soon (apparently it was officially posted on popphoto, then taken down), so I'll keep that in mind.

Cheers guys
Zexun

EDIT: My mom's Bday is in May next year, so I'm in no hurry to buy something. Maybe buy her the camera for Xmas. But that means my 50D will have to wait cos i'll be a few hundred bucks short =(

Hey guys. Yeah it's me. Again.

I own a 400D, couple of lenses and a 580EXII flash. I've been thinking of replacing my mom's old Lumix 4mp camera (back in 2005, it cost only S$200+, so it's old!) with something that's updated. It's not just for my mom, but also for me when I don't want to lug around all my gear to school, yet still want to capture moments.

I am totally out of sync of the PnS market, and I'm totally lost. Cost shall not be the issue here (as long as it doesn't cost more than S$800 for the standalone camera please)

What I'd like in the camera:

- Manual capabilities
- Good Noise Handling, at least at ISO200/400 (coming from a dslr shooter, I'd be very critical with this factor)
- Image stabilisation (all PnS have this now, right?)
- Hotshoe mount available (for use with my speedlite, or a strobist setup)
- Pocketable (so no S5-IS for me, I don't need it, and neither does my mom)
- Tripod mountable
- Cost (Less than S$800 is preferable)

Deal sweeteners: Fast flash sync speed (for strobist shoots), good battery life.

The Canon G9 caught my attention. It's got everything I need, but I heard that the noise handling isn't good. Hmm?

So, with regards to the G9, what's a good prosumer PnS? I heard of the Lumix LX3. How's that compared to the G9?

I've heard rumors of the G10 coming out soon (apparently it was officially posted on popphoto, then taken down), so I'll keep that in mind.

Cheers guys
Zexun

EDIT: My mom's Bday is in May next year, so I'm in no hurry to buy something. Maybe buy her the camera for Xmas. But that means my 50D will have to wait cos i'll be a few hundred bucks short =(

I think the reviews for the Panasonic LX3 are not out yet. But you may like to check the following website for the review of the G9. Sample images from ISO 80 to ISO 3200 are available and all are taken under controlled lighting.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/G9/G9A.HTM

there are some ISO samples of LX3 over in the panny section. go there take a look.

Given your experience with dslr, you should know pns cams rarely perform well at high iso?
If you want to make use of your 580EXII, then G9 is the way to go. But it's high iso performance is quite bad.

There are some pics taken by LX3 in cs. The pics look gd even at iso400. Maybe it has to do with sensor size? So far I think LX3 has the largest sensor of all pns cams, followed by Nikon P6000. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Given your experience with dslr, you should know pns cams rarely perform well at high iso?
If you want to make use of your 580EXII, then G9 is the way to go. But it's high iso performance is quite bad.

There are some pics taken by LX3 in cs. The pics look gd even at iso400. Maybe it has to do with sensor size? So far I think LX3 has the largest sensor of all pns cams, followed by Nikon P6000. Correct me if i'm wrong.

The Sigma DP1 has the largest sensor of all the P&S. It's the same size as our DSLRs hehe. ;)

Hmm, iso 400 isn't very high for PnS cameras nowadays right? :S

Can you guys tell me what model series are prosumer PnSes for the different brands?

I know Canon is G series, Nikon is Pxxxx. Don't really trust Sony..

Don't forget Fujifilm and Pentax. Their cameras are quite good too.

I kind of don't trust Pentax though. I've seen their dslr cameras, and the noise @ ISO400 is comparable to ISO1600 on my 400D...

The G9 seems good, but there are better alternatives image-quality wise, but none seem to have the 'canon-integration' so to speak. I'd very much like to mount my 580EXII on the camera and still have ettl capabilities.

I know this is a weird question, but d'you guys think I'll be satisfied with the G9? It'd be my 'knock-around' camera, and my mom's main camera, of course.

While we're on the topic of my mom, how does the G9 automatic settings go? Is it still as fool-proof as the using compact cameras and dslrs in the green-rectangle mode? That's probably my only noob-factor because my mom is a noob and just wants to take pictures.

Oh yes, the G9 uses the same batteries as my 400D, so do you guys speculate that the G10 (when it comes out, probably end of year/next year) will use 450D's smaller battery?

Cheers guys
Zexun

The Sigma DP1 has the largest sensor of all the P&S. It's the same size as our DSLRs hehe. ;)
oh yea i forgot. Then again, the DP1 will piss many pns users off. Imagine telling the consumers: this cam has got no zoom; prime lens only.

I kind of don't trust Pentax though. I've seen their dslr cameras, and the noise @ ISO400 is comparable to ISO1600 on my 400D...

The G9 seems good, but there are better alternatives image-quality wise, but none seem to have the 'canon-integration' so to speak. I'd very much like to mount my 580EXII on the camera and still have ettl capabilities.

I know this is a weird question, but d'you guys think I'll be satisfied with the G9? It'd be my 'knock-around' camera, and my mom's main camera, of course.

While we're on the topic of my mom, how does the G9 automatic settings go? Is it still as fool-proof as the using compact cameras and dslrs in the green-rectangle mode? That's probably my only noob-factor because my mom is a noob and just wants to take pictures.

Oh yes, the G9 uses the same batteries as my 400D, so do you guys speculate that the G10 (when it comes out, probably end of year/next year) will use 450D's smaller battery?

Cheers guys
Zexun
In terms of performane, canon pns is not equal to canon dslr, even though they come from the same company. I've got no idea about G10. But pns cams today, regardless of brand, have very good fool-proof, full automatic system that can churn out a usable pic at the press of the shutter button. So long as the situation is not too tricky.

since you already have a canon flash, its better to go for the g9 for compatibility of TTL, otherwise panasonic LX3 is another superb choice for its super fast (f2.0-2.8) and really wide 24-60mm Leica lens. ISO performance might not be up on par with some of the best brand out there, but the effective stabiliser and fast+wide lens make up much of it. Beside that, it also support RAW. :thumbsup:

One of the review comparing the G9 to LX3

Last edited:
since you already have a canon flash, its better to go for the g9 for compatibility of TTL, otherwise panasonic LX3 is another superb choice for its super fast (f2.0-2.8) and really wide 24-60mm Leica lens. ISO performance might not be up on par with some of the best brand out there, but the effective stabiliser and fast+wide lens make up much of it. Beside that, it also support RAW. :thumbsup:

One of the review comparing the G9 to LX3

Although I do not have an LX3 but I still own a good FZ20. The F2.8 Lecia lens is so sharp that nothing escapes it's glass :bsmilie:. If the LX3 is just as good or even better, I think you should just sell the flash and move on :) (I'm a canon user btw)

Although I do not have an LX3 but I still own a good FZ20. The F2.8 Lecia lens is so sharp that nothing escapes it's glass :bsmilie:. If the LX3 is just as good or even better, I think you should just sell the flash and move on :) (I'm a canon user btw)

I'm okay if the LX3 has a hotshoe where I can put my ebay radio trigger on it and manually adjust my off-camera 580EXII and shoot. But then if I do that, I'd require the LX3 to be perfectly operable with one-hand.

Just want to point out something here, that when you compare the current Pentax DSLR images with Canon DSLR images, Pentax is not as bad as your perception is at the moment. There is a lot more noise reduction on Canon DSLR jpegs when you compare the offerings of the 2 brands, and when you compare the images in RAW, there really isn't much difference. The degree of noise reduction is set to it's weakest as a default with Pentax cameras.

With PnS, I don't think that there is any that offer good image quality, not even close to DLSR standards. The Sigma DP1 offers good image quality, but is let down in many aspects such as the inability to use PS, poor ISO800 colours, poor jpeg engine and the lack of image stabiliser.

its not a problem with selling flash or not, but rather sharing of equipment due to the cost... i believe the g9 and his current 400d will be utilize his 580ex better than the lx3.

Its just like people who already own olympus will choose pana/oly over the g9, same goes for nikon/fuji, unless one doesn't mind shooting at auto or manual flash mode.

I'm okay if the LX3 has a hotshoe where I can put my ebay radio trigger on it and manually adjust my off-camera 580EXII and shoot. But then if I do that, I'd require the LX3 to be perfectly operable with one-hand.
at 265g with battery, its highly possible to operate with 1hand, but definitely not as good as 2hands

its not a problem with selling flash or not, but rather sharing of equipment due to the cost... i believe the g9 and his current 400d will be utilize his 580ex better than the lx3.

Exactly what I'm thinking. And it's not just the flash, even the battery is the same, meaning that I can swap here swap there if my battery runs out on either platform on a shoot (which only happened once a few months ago).

What's the price difference between the G9 and LX3?

Exactly what I'm thinking. And it's not just the flash, even the battery is the same, meaning that I can swap here swap there if my battery runs out on either platform on a shoot (which only happened once a few months ago).

What's the price difference between the G9 and LX3?
lx3 can be gotten at under $700 street.

should be about $700+ thereabouts..

anyway, if you wanna have a tryout with the LX3 just ask..

Status
Not open for further replies.