Looking for Photographers / Videographers with passion for Good [Discussion thread]

No company name, no details..no head no tail. Carrot head hunting ?

Something to be proud of uh... If only I can pay a portion of my pride for chicken rice

Lets be nice fellow snappers. A NPO looking for volunteers is different from those cheapo who pays $50 for 3 hrs job at a home party.

many photographers here have full of passion indeed, but with passion along does not fill the stomach. :)

If asking photographers to serve for passion only, it would be nice if ALL the vendors to supply their goods and services to the organization also in the same way too.
it will be even better if the staffs of the organization also work for passion only too. :)

No company name, no details..no head no tail. Carrot head hunting ?

Something to be proud of uh... If only I can pay a portion of my pride for chicken rice

i'm not too sure, but if the SIF falls under charity/non-profit organisations, i can understand why they need to source for volunteers.

shouldn't we draw a clear line between what is free work, and working as volunteer to give back community? because afaik, our CS ganbatte japan we also used volunteers, but it was for charity.

btw, i'm not too sure here volunteer means no pay or what, but i think that perhaps there is also some allowance given.

this is a different ball game imho.

A simple question in general. Are all non profit organizations run totally by volunteers who do not draw a salary ? Based on previous encounters there is a core of full timers that are paid. In a report in our local media, it was stated that the pay level of the CEO of these bodies do not work for peanuts as we all understand as peanuts. The pay is very much on par with a commercial entity. Amounts like S$30K per month of the the top earner was mentioned. On an average, a CEO would be looking at S$5k per month at the lowest end. I am assuming the when Eugene Han means by in a non profit setting he means that the photographer or videographer will be working for free.

If a non profit organization can pay salaries for staff, why do they think that other service providers should do good work for free and bait it as a payback to society ?
Lead by example, work with a totally unpaid staff then I am sure you could find free service provider outside your organization.

In the pre digital days, non profit organizations got special rates from professional photographers; not free but a significant discount. Now they seem to want free service when I mean free it sometimes means they do not even provide for food.

these days organization also use "pro bono" to entice photographers,
or rather newbie photographer (or portfolio experience) to shoot for free

in my own words
i read a very good book on business photography about "pro bono" work
"pro bono" is not merely shooting and get the experience, u don just shoot, pass the CD and thats it!

is about the mutual benefits btw the u and the "charity organization"
so u shoot for them .. and what can they give u in return other than monetary payments
(stated in contract)

if the "charity organization" is asking for FREE or Pro bono from a photogapher, it is likely to ask other companies for pro bono as well
photographers who take up "pro bono" should also have a contract to protect themselves cos ur the BOSS here
such that other company are not suppose to use your images, they should buy from you. nor the company is allow to give them etc etc
ur giving low res with copyright intact etc etc ..

if u guys still believe "credits will be give"
trust me no will will flip to the last page and see who the photographer is
u will be more happier to see the yusof ishak name in your wallet

but still kudos to those who are interested :)

Last edited:
their $50/-is just like a bullet cart.Ask so much and yet give so little.GO fly kite.

I make it short ... There's 1 charity org ever asked me to help them to do an event shoot for them ( 2 hrs F.O.C ) . As usual before the shoot telling me is NPO etc.. ok fine. Do you know what I found out after the shoot ? They are paying food catering service,sounds tech,stage set up, banner,cleaner, landscape..etc except my photography service. Put yourself in my shoe ! How would you feel if you were me?

This is what I mean.Always said no funds.Go fly kite

Hi all,
As a veteran photographer whom did assignments for SIF in the 90s, SIF was already paying S$80 per hour, with film usage at S$40 per roll.
I would believe that they should still have reasonable budget to pay freelancers for assignments.

Maybe it's for non-critical assignments that they are opening up for amateurs to shoot now, thus those whom are looking for shooting experience and
portfolio opportunities should still consider this as good training ground.

I wouldn't mind shooting for them again if they can pay me my S$150 per hour (Subjected to 2 hours minimal) to worth my while as a professional photographer.

Regards ...

I make it short ... There's 1 charity org ever asked me to help them to do an event shoot for them ( 2 hrs F.O.C ) . As usual before the shoot telling me is NPO etc.. ok fine. Do you know what I found out after the shoot ? They are paying food catering service,sounds tech,stage set up, banner,cleaner, landscape..etc except my photography service. Put yourself in my shoe ! How would you feel if you were me?

haha.. i kena one also.. i have to sign a form stating i am a volunteer and the token is $100 for their year end dinner and dance.. i told since they are a non-profit organization their dnd won't be so great.. i just wonder why they need a photographer.. u know what.. they hire a event company for the event!!! money is being spent on it, but not for photographers.. wtf!

Please correct me if I’m wrong as my accounts is not very good, but base on their financial report for the year 2009/2010 SIF is very rich.

Cash at Bank and in Hand: -------------------------$11,345,319.00
Fix Deposit: ---------------------------------------$129,054.00
Cash held with Investment Manager: ---------------$2,624,178.00

SOME OF THEIR INCOME
Grants from Gov of SG: ----------------------------$9,678,352.00
Grants from Temasek Foundation: ------------------$80,551.00
Grants from others for other projects: --------------$129,919.00
Amortisation of deferred capital grants: -------------$38,874.00

SOME OF THEIR EXPENSE
Programme Expenses: ------------------------------$2,562,201.00
Operating Lease Expense (Office rental?): -----------$145,421.00
Investment Management Fee: -----------------------$63,649.00
Leasing of Office Equipment: ------------------------$7315.00
Staff Cost: -----------------------------------------$900,000.00

IN A NUTSHELL
Current and Non-current Assets: $41,335,885.00

The above can be found on their website:
Here
http://www.sif.org.sg/files/annual_reports/SIF_AR_2009-2010.pdf
Or here
Singapore International Foundation - Annual Reports

Decide for yourself if you want to shoot free for them. For me, if they can affort an office in Bishan, Junction 8 Level 9 and pay $900,000.00 a year for their staff cost, they can pay for a photographer.

Don't let CS become "THE PLACE" to come to for free photography service.

I would say its more like donating your service. people do not simply stop offering donation even though the organisation is asset rich in the balance sheet. just my opinion though.

jonathann said:
I would say its more like donating your service. people do not simply stop offering donation even though the organisation is asset rich in the balance sheet. just my opinion though.

As much as we would like to donate our services, we have a responsibility to pull the market up again. And a charity organisation which is fully capable of helping us, isn't. People will continue to look down on us because over there, all the workers and services are paid, except for photography