Looking for Photographers / Videographers with passion for Good [Discussion thread]

I understand your view,

to teach a person how to fish is better give him a fish.

that's why I show the calculator to let everyone work out their own sum.

but we have seen lots of people still need spoonfeed, so let them learn things thru the hard way lor.

Yeah, but at the same time I would also like to see less of this cheapo "clients" in CS. Isn't that what we always frustrate (to use a mild term) over? Isn't that we will always complain over cheapo clients and not cheapo photographers, so for this instance instead of educating photographers, the emphasis should be to educate clients, no?

We need this sort of clients to learn the hard way, budget more or go somewhere else. The link is good for photographers but means nothing if we let clients dictate price from the start. That's the point I'm making.

nah.... we SHOULD allow these threads to pop up every few weeks or so ...... so that the message is reinforced each time that we dont welcome "Shoot for free/credit mentioned" or "Shoot for food" type requests

This is a sort of a 'soft' reminder,awareness and reinforcement that photographers should have some self-respect for their own works

Anyway its a free world ..... they can advertise..... you can choose to make your thoughts known too

I'm only afraid some of our most passionate advocaters against cheap service will grow tired of fighting this fight in here.

Over the course as this continues (economy yet to recover) some of us will eventually grow jaded because no change is happening and frankly, might as well spend that 15min of typing onto something to generate money instead.

Are the mods open to put it to a vote? I will follow the wishes of the majority, I can understand why some might prefer status quo.

my point is to let everybody knows there is a cost involve, wherether you want to make any money out of it or not,
the photographers want to donate his time and talent away for a cause is really up to him.
but if anybody want to come here ask for cheap or free photography services.
I will show my most sincere smile, look into the person's eyes, speak in the most gentle and soft tone, tell him: "GO FLY A KITE"

ok. i thought u wanted a everyone must shoot for a fee world, which i thought it would be quite scary.

which is why i support the idea, that free photography requests must be first vetted by the mods, before posting.

the last time i volunteer and event, the organizer pays me $50 an hour.......

when people ask me shoot for free, i tell them not free that day.

Joke: need recommendation, tell them fly 2 big kites with banner will get response. better them telling them just go fly kite.... some people will be blur and cannot get it..... fly kite for what.

Yeah, but at the same time I would also like to see less of this cheapo "clients" in CS. Isn't that what we always frustrate (to use a mild term) over? Isn't that we will always complain over cheapo clients and not cheapo photographers, so for this instance instead of educating photographers, the emphasis should be to educate clients, no?

We need this sort of clients to learn the hard way, budget more or go somewhere else. The link is good for photographers but means nothing if we let clients dictate price from the start. That's the point I'm making.

I'm only afraid some of our most passionate advocaters against cheap service will grow tired of fighting this fight in here.

Over the course as this continues (economy yet to recover) some of us will eventually grow jaded because no change is happening and frankly, might as well spend that 15min of typing onto something to generate money instead.

Are the mods open to put it to a vote? I will follow the wishes of the majority, I can understand why some might prefer status quo.

when there is rotten apple, there will be fly around,
more rotten apples will attract a lots of flies,

educating of clients is needed, but educating our own photographers is more important.
these freeloaders come and go, we can't depend on a few veteran photographers keep nagging around like playing the old broken records.
every members has to play a part.:)

on the other hands, we do allow such threads appear occasionally, a constant reminder of freeloader is everywhere and how they are look alike. just take it as some form of example for members learn how to deal with it.

We will stop freeloaders to come here exploiting our photographers; please alert admins and mods if you spot any.

however, we can't stop our members offering free services, but we do hope they know what are doing.

there will always be people who are hungry to shoot something, anything,.....

not too long ago, there is a local organisation that organise big local event. They got a few people to slave for them for many weeks over the weekend to cover the rehersals and the actual day. After every rehersals, these peeps have to submit at least 5 of their best photos on their facebook site and sing praise of the organisation in their fb.... the reward for doing all these are special passes.... and if I remember correctly, one will take home a limited edtion stuff toy......

One Year in Timor, 6 Feb

and

healthcare projects

speaking to a few people, it seems this is not a Dinner and Dance type request for photographers but rather sourcing for photographers who would like to travel with SIF teams around Asia where they have projects benefitting the poor and impoverished

I have been directed to this section of their site

If the cause is noble and SIF uses their money to improve lives and looking for volunteers to help out in several areas, ....... you make the choice....

MY own comments, and I am sure for most comments from others in this thread, refer to parties who DO have a budget for their own anniversary or celebration events benefitting NOBODY in need,who are trying to either save costs or fatten their profits by sourcing for cheap/free photography services

Last edited:
and i second eddie's pov on this.

when there is rotten apple, there will be fly around,
more rotten apples will attract a lots of flies,

educating of clients is needed, but educating our own photographers is more important.
these freeloaders come and go, we can't depend on a few veteran photographers keep nagging around like playing the old broken records.
every members has to play a part.:)

on the other hands, we do allow such threads appear occasionally, a constant reminder of freeloader is everywhere and how they are look alike. just take it as some form of example for members learn how to deal with it.

I guess by looking at Photo Biz lately there has been an increase in members voicing out against low ballers. So there has been awareness improvement, though the number of cheapos seems to be constant. I'm just annoyed these rotten apples & flies are sending a lousy impression to others.

I guess by looking at Photo Biz lately there has been an increase in members voicing out against low ballers. So there has been awareness improvement, though the number of cheapos seems to be constant. I'm just annoyed these rotten apples & flies are sending a lousy impression to others.
“The Revolution has not yet succeeded. Comrades, you must carry on!”

lol

The question that need to be ask is:
1) How do being a photographer help their cause?
2) Is it a photographic mission where they are going to use the photographs to raise funds?
3) What will happen to the mission if there is no photographer?

I ask and this is what I get:

The photos will be used for their website and for publicity

2) Is it a photographic mission where they are going to use the photographs to raise funds?
No

(I ask how will it effect the mission if for one reason or another, the images are lost ie; equipment failure, photographer sick, etc, any back up plan or photographer as I don't want to sobotage the mission or may get another friend involve?)
No worries the mission will NOT BE AFFECTED IN ANY WAY and they can make do with photos from their volunteers, just like they did in the past.

So I don't see how being a free photographer help their cause, who benefits from the photos when even if there is no photo the mission is not affected.

You make your own choice.

BTW, for those so call "no budget" org, happen once my friend said "OK", on the day send them SMS that he's sick, that say die die must get a photographer, in the end suddenly got budget of $600.00 for me to shoot a 4 hour D&D for them :sticktong

So be careful when shooting for free, you're usually taken for a free ride :bsmilie:

Last edited:
yqt said:

No

(I ask how will it effect the mission if for one reason or another, the images are lost ie; equipment failure, photographer sick, etc, any back up plan or photographer as I don't want to sobotage the mission or may get another friend involve?)
No worries the mission will NOT BE AFFECTED IN ANY WAY and they can make do with photos from their volunteers, just like they did in the past.

So I don't see how being a free photographer help their cause, who benefits from the photos when even if there is no photo the mission is not affected.

BTW, for those so call "no budget" org, happen once my friend said "OK", on the day send them SMS that he's sick, that say die die must get a photographer, in the end suddenly got budget of $600.00 for me to shoot a 4 hour D&D for them :sticktong

So be careful when shooting for free, you're usually taken for a free ride :bsmilie:

Well said brother!!!

yqt said:

No

+1 :DDDDD

look at the bright side of FREE shoot, at least you get to keep the photos you took.

becos under the SG laws, the clients own the photos under the term of "work for hire".

so wise up photographers, either you shoot for FREE or make the person who commissioned you pay you decently.

don't be so dumb, kissing your photos goodbye for some "token of appreciation", or $50.

if you really want to volunteer for a cause, you can ask the organization to pay you your rate, and you donate the money back to them, at least you can get tax exemption for the money you've donated.

today just handle a client.

she was asking any newbie that is willing to shoot for limited budget.... i never ask how much..... but suggested pay market rate of at least $80 an hour, cos photographer will be more happy to shoot.

No

good good......

next time, before hang up, tell them many people asking them to fly kite

look at the bright side of FREE shoot, at least you get to keep the photos you took.

becos under the SG laws, the clients own the photos under the term of "work for hire".

so wise up photographers, either you shoot for FREE or make the person who commissioned you pay you decently.

don't be so dumb, kissing your photos goodbye for some "token of appreciation", or $50.

if you really want to volunteer for a cause, you can ask the organization to pay you your rate, and you donate the money back to them, at least you can get tax exemption for the money you've donated.

good move I say

I used to shoot for a company at $120 per hr for a number of years. Till 2009 recession, they requested $100 per hr and the video pricing remain the same. Then in 2011 the contact I worked with went to work for another company. The new in-charge told me she got a photographer that can offer $50 per hr and asked me to match it. I told her I take pride in my photographic skill and services. Hence, now I shoot for them occasionally when they have 2 events on the same day at $100 per hr. As for the old contact, she called me in Nov last year and asked for quotation. She even suggested an hour rate I never think of. I went and shoot that event. Her boss was impressed with the images and wanted me to cover all their events in the future.

Take pride in what you can do and charge accordingly.

Last edited:
Uncle Jopel is the man. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

take pride of your work and people will show you respects.

say no to freeloaders, this the way to stop them,

don't be cheapo, else people will treat you like monkey.

Hi folks,
Apologies if my original post was misleading or unclear.
One of the things the Singapore International Foundation does is send out volunteers to help communities in developing countries.
Often, the volunteers help in capacity building: doctors training other doctors, teachers training teachers, or volunteers sharing skills and knowledge to help communities develop livelihood options.
We’ve paid for photographers to capture some of our events and projects, and we’ve also had photographers volunteer their services.
We’re now looking to tell stories of people doing good, wherever they are. And along with text stories, we want to have pictures and video to celebrate people doing good.
As a non-profit organisation, we of course can’t compete with commercial outfits that may pay top dollar. But we do pay.
More importantly though, we seek photographers with a passion for capturing people doing good as we embark on this new project. That’s important to us.
For those who have questions, you’re welcome to pm me.