Looking for Mountain bikes, any suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stress

Sep 5, 2006
Hi Bikers
I'm looking to purchase 2 MTB, budget around $400 to $500 each bike.
Too many bike shops to go shopping around (too far apart)and i'm a bike idiot. Any decent recommendation from anyone? Any trusted shop that I can go whithout getting chop, chop!
I stay at upper thomson and there's one shop at upper thomson (near sprinleaf garden). Is this shop trusted?
Simple requirements:
Must not be too heavy.
I dun need disc brakes (if it comes with it I dun mind but must be decent quality)
Need suspension for front.
No hardcore biking but may venture to slight rough terrain once in awhile.
Good look is a plus;)

Thanks!

Last edited:
You could probably just ge the aleoca bikes at NTUC in AMK hub.

You can look for Polygon range of bikes at Rodalink. I think there is an outlet in Upper Thomson Road. Good price and using decent Shimano parts.

Another shop would be Chapter2Cycle at AMK Ave 10. Look for Ben and ask for his recommendation. They carry a few brands, but you wouldn't go wrong with brands like Giant or GT.

I would avoid buying bicycles from hypermarket as the salesman there know nuts about bicycle, especially if you are looking for a more quality bike.

I would avoid buying bicycles from hypermarket as the salesman there know nuts about bicycle, especially if you are looking for a more quality bike.

Actually, Aleoca seeds it's own people there. and they use Shimano parts too.

can try Kona too. not bad. i've got the Fire Mountain model and it's currently being neglected... :bsmilie:

Hi Bikers
I'm looking to purchase 2 MTB, budget around $400 to $500 each bike.
Too many bike shops to go shopping around (too far apart)and i'm a bike idiot. Any decent recommendation from anyone? Any trusted shop that I can go whithout getting chop, chop!
I stay at upper thomson and there's one shop at upper thomson (near sprinleaf garden). Is this shop trusted?
Simple requirements:
Must not be too heavy.
I dun need disc brakes (if it comes with it I dun mind but must be decent quality)
Need suspension for front.
No hardcore biking but may venture to slight rough terrain once in awhile.
Good look is a plus;)

Thanks!

Was in the same situation as you last week.. looking for a bike below $500....noob in biking and just want to pick up for leisure and fitness..:bsmilie:

Did some "research" from the local forums.. and for this price range there are a few choices.. You can check out www.togoparts.com or www.smbf.com

GT avalanche 3.0 seems to be very popular but the V-brake version is already out of the budget..$550-$600 depending on the LBS (local bike shop)..the disc brake version will cost $100 more.. Otherwise the GT aggressor will be a cheaper choice..

Polygon is quite value for money but I did not go for it as it reminds me of bicycles you can see at ECP rental shops.. but they do have high-end bikes too... :bsmilie:

Raleigh Mojave 4.0 http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/mountain/mojave-4/ .. about $450 from what I saw from the forums.. Actually quite alright specs for the price..but I couldnt find it in the LBS i went to.. the uncle showed me a brochure and said he could bring it in for me the next day.. But didnt buy it as I didnt see a physical "sample"..

Eventually bought a Jamis Trail X2 2008 version.. Sticker price for 2008 version is $410, 2009 version is abt $50 more.. Difference between the two is, 2008 version is vbrakes but 8speed, 2009 version is disc brake but 7 speeds. Chose the 2008 version eventually since I dont intend to go offroad.. and the blue colour looks quite good IMO.. http://www.phoenixcyclery.com/mm5/m...hx&Product_Code=08trailx2&Category_Code=jamis

Did not have very pleasant experience when I went to the bicycle shops.. Was a sincere buyer.. but some shops quoted much higher than what I had found out from the forums, some wasnt too helpful for noob buyers like me, while some "branded" shop obviously paid more attention to "selected" groups of customers.. Hope you have a good time shopping for your bike and riding it soon! =)

Yes, check out www.togoparts.com for more info.

GT and giant are good. Do not get aloeca.

One trustworthy shop which doesn't chop people is Chapter 2 Cycle Partner Shop
Blk 451, Ang Mo Kio Ave.10, #01-1761 Singapore 560451
Tel: 6452-7168

Thanks a million guys.....
Yes, noobie like me are not treated well in LBS. Sales staff gave loads of crap! Price is going to increase soon due to exchange rate, tomorrow promotion will end Blah blah blah....Didn't they know that we are in the worest recession S'pore ever faced. Prices go up due to low demand? What logic....:dunno:
If the service is sincere, my budget can go up to $650 each. I'll try the C2C at AMK. Hope to get my bike soon......

check out C2C opening hours in case you make a wasted trip like me last time... They close quite early.. =)
Opening Hours : Monday to Friday : 10.30am - 7.30pm
Saturday : 11.00am - 6.30pm
Sunday/Public holiday : Closed

On the other hand if anyone suddenly feel like viewing bikes late at night.. Tiong Hin near Lor Ah Soo opens quite late!
MONDAY TO SATURDAY: 2.30 PM - 12 AM
SUNDAY: CLOSE

Bro

If you had read an earlier thread on bicycles (just a week ago) you will know where to get the Raleigh Mojave cheap:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4685899#post4685899

Got mine for <300

You can also go to a distributor and get a Raleigh cheap:
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/in...0253#msg390253

Hiap Guan Metal Industries (Pte) Ltd
Blk 4 , Tagore Lane
Singapore 787469 (65) 64564584

Raleigh Mojave 4.0 http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/mountain/mojave-4/ .. about $450 from what I saw from the forums.. Actually quite alright specs for the price..but I couldnt find it in the LBS i went to.. the uncle showed me a brochure and said he could bring it in for me the next day.. But didnt buy it as I didnt see a physical "sample"..

Last edited:
Bro

If you had read an earlier thread on bicycles (just a week ago) you will know where to get the Raleigh Mojave cheap:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4685899#post4685899

Got mine for <300

wah...... *heartache* + *kick myself*
yours is Mojave 4.0 8 speed with disc brakes ? or other models of Mojave?
Now.. <$300 is definitely a good buy if its for the 4.0 ...
should have checked on CS before buying also..

Last edited:
Tagore Lane is just 5 mins away where I live......:bigeyes:
I can walk there and ride back:)
Will check whether they open on Sat.....Thanks again!
Soon I can cycle and shoot:D

Polygon from rodalink is quite good. im riding a quatro.
been riding BT hill for 6months and clocked 800+km and its still good!no problems at all!

C2C would be a good place to start too :)

hope to see enjoying your bike and shooting soon :bsmilie:

cheers!

try taman jurong shopping centre. (near a furniture shop & facing towards road and not at inner side). the aunty is rather friendly. if you go to pro bike shop and the boss is busy, dont expect much help as he probably have to spend time analyse your needs. Join a bike forum and learn before making an informed choice.

imho for budget at $400 for a good mountain bike with decent specs might be a lil challenging to find.

otherwise, settle for taiwan made stuff at $80-$300. But looks cheap though and heavy indeed.

If looking for competitive pricing, can try Tiong Hin at Lorong Ah Soo. Shop owner may have a fierce look, but can be quite friendly and reasonable.
C2C is also a good choice.
GT and Giant are quite reliable for bikes at that price range.

try taman jurong shopping centre. (near a furniture shop & facing towards road and not at inner side). the aunty is rather friendly. if you go to pro bike shop and the boss is busy, dont expect much help as he probably have to spend time analyse your needs. Join a bike forum and learn before making an informed choice.

imho for budget at $400 for a good mountain bike with decent specs might be a lil challenging to find.

otherwise, settle for taiwan made stuff at $80-$300. But looks cheap though and heavy indeed.

Sorry to burst your bubble brudder even a $2000 bike CAN and usually are still made in Taiwan or China. The trick is in know who made it as not all Taiwan made are bad. Giant for example makes for so many brands out there that you might be afraid to ask if your exotic overprice one was not made by them heheh but not too worry, when Giant make hi-end frames and it cost you more then $1000 to 4000 to make it...it will be good enough.

But so many of the brand that got those about so far in here ( except maybe for a Kona, depending on which model).. we are talking below average heavy steel frames but still very usable and so long as you don't do very demanding rides and look after them well they will serve you well. GT, Raleigh Mojave to really budget low end like Polygon, Aloeca are made in Taiwan and China. Don't let the shops kid you. 95% of all the bikes in the world are made in Taiwan and China. Always good to check with the forummers at sites like togoparts.com to ascertain if what you are really getting is as good as the saleman claim. Most LBS are very LL especially when you head to a high end shop. They will not give you the time of day unless your pocket is very deep or you give them the impression they are deep heheh.. So when they see the newbie some shop resort to telling you what you want to hear and push you to get a fast sale....so he can go back to service the guy who is ordering exotice parts to built his bike from the ground up.

Sorry to burst your bubble brudder even a $2000 bike CAN and usually are still made in Taiwan or China. The trick is in know who made it as not all Taiwan made are bad. Giant for example makes for so many brands out there that you might be afraid to ask if your exotic overprice one was not made by them heheh but not too worry, when Giant make hi-end frames and it cost you more then $1000 to 4000 to make it...it will be good enough.

But so many of the brand that got those about so far in here ( except maybe for a Kona, depending on which model).. we are talking below average heavy steel frames but still very usable and so long as you don't do very demanding rides and look after them well they will serve you well. GT, Raleigh Mojave to really budget low end like Polygon, Aloeca are made in Taiwan and China. Don't let the shops kid you. 95% of all the bikes in the world are made in Taiwan and China. Always good to check with the forummers at sites like togoparts.com to ascertain if what you are really getting is as good as the saleman claim. Most LBS are very LL especially when you head to a high end shop. They will not give you the time of day unless your pocket is very deep or you give them the impression they are deep heheh.. So when they see the newbie some shop resort to telling you what you want to hear and push you to get a fast sale....so he can go back to service the guy who is ordering exotice parts to built his bike from the ground up.

thanks for the insight. and, yes i am aware there are several bike factories in taiwan and i had visited them before. they not only oem, but can set another plant (or section) to make look alike bikes with higher specs (not necc higher qc though).

i think i ought to clarify a lil above. i meant to say those taiwan brand bikes :bsmilie: and many of them do look horrible.

was at taman today. the goods ones are way above 2k. the next break is 600-1k. anything below 600, i think its just buying for the brand as the (shimano) parts grade quite compromised.

the trend is in hybrid now i think as many come to realise they wont use their mb for true blue off roading. at best, they be mounting humps and staircases.

am not a biker anymore as i lost my bike:bsmilie:

thanks for the insight. and, yes i am aware there are several bike factories in taiwan and i had visited them before. they not only oem, but can set another plant (or section) to make look alike bikes with higher specs (not necc higher qc though).

i think i ought to clarify a lil above. i meant to say those taiwan brand bikes :bsmilie: and many of them do look horrible.

was at taman today. the goods ones are way above 2k. the next break is 600-1k. anything below 600, i think its just buying for the brand as the (shimano) parts grade quite compromised.

the trend is in hybrid now i think as many come to realise they wont use their mb for true blue off roading. at best, they be mounting humps and staircases.

am not a biker anymore as i lost my bike:bsmilie:

Wah you in the same industry or something related? should mean you get some discount for bike stuff hehehe...

Status
Not open for further replies.