Looking for long lens owners

tbc666

Sep 10, 2009
Hi all bazooka owners,

I would like to know more about the 600mm f4 lens for birding before I plough my "blood and sweat" money in. Does any owners have backaches, spinal problems after carrying too long in the field cause I am having a backache now for quite sometime already but booking an appointment soon for detailed checkup.

My height is 165 cm & weigh 60 Kg and my routine is usually 2 to 6 km of trekking during birding. Using Nikon now.

Appreciate any helpful responses.

tbc

Dec 12, 2009
Sorry I do not own such a huge lens but I am thinking that you need a huge camera backpack to carry your lens as you trek around. The lens is heavy, the bag isn't going to be light so I think it might be of some challenge if your trek routes have upward slopes or high stairs.

Usually I see people carry them using luggage cases with wheels on flat ground. Actual shooting should be not too much of a problem since I assume you are using a tripod (add on to your bag weight) unless you are shooting hand-held (need to train arm muscles then).

I guess it would be good to go trek with a bag and put some weight similar to ur camera equipment to test out if you can cope with it. I don't think you want to spend so much money on the lens and it affects your health and enjoyment of trekking also.

Just 2 cents worth (I trek for birding at times but using a medicore 300mm lens :p)

An drew

May 27, 2005
As long as you have proper lifting technique you should not hurt your back. You can also hurt your back with something lighter if your technique is wrong.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/backpain/ht/lift.htm

The concern is whether you will enjoy birding anymore if you have to lug a heavy lens around.

bylim

Sep 2, 2009
Hi I don't have a bazooka lens but I do hike occasionally.

My advise is to get a good hiking bag with good waist straps to better distribute the weight across your body. A good bag makes a whole lot of difference for hiking with heavy loads and you will be able to carry 10-14kg comfortably. Not sure if there are camera bags that can fit a 600mm and have not seen many good cam bags suitable for hiking either.

tbc666

Sep 10, 2009
Thanks to all the replies, there's a variety of answers but at least it helped to look at the same issue from different perspective. I'll consider them carefully. :thumbsup:

Sep 17, 2008
hmm.

i carry a full kit when i go shoot (not birding)

so...

a dslr, a tripod, 3 lenses, flash, umbrella (for both diffusing and sheltering me from rain), a laptop

i estimate 6-10kg.

currently i have very painful back... undergoing physio. so i suggest trek light.

tbc666

Sep 10, 2009
Hi Allen,

Sorry to hear about your back, did the doc say if it is due to the frequent loading on your back the cause of it? That's what I am afraid of!

IsenGrim

Jan 28, 2008
i dont carry that much but i think i do lug alot of stuff around all the time
2 cameras
3 lenses
2 flashes

i sign up for massage packages as a cure.

tbc666

Sep 10, 2009
i dont carry that much but i think i do lug alot of stuff around all the time
2 cameras
3 lenses
2 flashes

i sign up for massage packages as a cure.
That would be alot to carry also! :sweat:

Sep 17, 2008
Hi Allen,

Sorry to hear about your back, did the doc say if it is due to the frequent loading on your back the cause of it? That's what I am afraid of!
he says its weak back muscles. i'm kinda sceptical abt it, seeing my friend who has knee injury also has the same diagnosis.

why not use a waistbelt system? it reduces the load off ur back and u can carry ur heavy stuff without much problem

henry soh

Aug 29, 2008
Hi bros, Some use camera's trolley to carry their lenses, cameras, etc

Top Bottom