Looking for kakis to go Cambodia

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidforce

Sep 19, 2003
18th level
Visit site
After looking at multiple wonderful shots taken there, I finally succumbed to wanderlust and am thinking of going.. Anyone keen to join for what I hope is the photography journey of a lifetime?

My schedule

-2nd July: fly to bangkok
-3rd July: fly to Siem Reap
-4th July: Angkor
-5th July: Angkor
-6th July: Bus to Phnom Penh
-7th July: tour Phnom Penh
-8th July: Bus to Saigon
-9th July: Tour Saigon
-10th July: Fly to sg

Neglected to ask anyone along thinking I'll just backpack alone.. but got vetoed by my parents if I can't find company.. :cry:

Sorry, but I think your backpack journey is kinda rush.

In particular, the bus trip to Saigon....u betta check the timetable properly. e.g. public holidays, weekend, availability of tickets and frequency of buses btw the two places. :bsmilie:

If I recalled correctly, July is quite proned to flooding.... :think:

liquidforce said:
After looking at multiple wonderful shots taken there, I finally succumbed to wanderlust and am thinking of going.. Anyone keen to join for what I hope is the photography journey of a lifetime?

My schedule

Neglected to ask anyone along thinking I'll just backpack alone.. but got vetoed by my parents if I can't find company.. :cry:

Actually i wanna go to Cambodia also ..... but you post ur add to find khaki in a very short time, so i can not plan properly...... may be plan around October or November end or this year.

It does looks abit rush....perhaps you might wanna remove Saigon and just enjoy Cambodia?

Anyway, the pass for AngKor Complex are available in 1 day/3 days/1 week pass, costing $20/40/60 respectively.(USD).

Remember to bring one passport size photo for your pass.

Thanks for the tip on the bus thingie.. got to check that out.

it is a bit rush, but it's all the time I have. After that, will be a long time before I can have such a long leave..

To enter into Angwat for non-cambodian people, you need to apply for a Pass.

1 DAY Pass = US$20 per person
3 DAYa Pass = US$40 per person

According to your schedule, you need to plan for 1 day or 3 days Angkor tour to utilitise the Pass.

Hope this tip is useful ........

liquidforce said:

My schedule

Hmm? Vetoed by parents? How come no kaki = no trip?

jsbn said:
Hmm? Vetoed by parents? How come no kaki = no trip?

:dunno: apparently they think it's highly dangerous and having a companion will be safer.. can't believe they teamed up on me... also can't believe how hard it is to find people willing to go cambodia

Managed to persuade them that I'll only be sticking to the tourist routes and big towns.. and I'll hide in my room under the bed if I hear any gun shots!!

Dun flash your money or valuables around.

Especially dun put all your money in the wallet, often when you hand your wallet with IDs to the authorities in checkpoints. The only thing you are going to get back is your wallet minus the cash :bsmilie:

liquidforce said:
:dunno: apparently they think it's highly dangerous and having a companion will be safer.. can't believe they teamed up on me... also can't believe how hard it is to find people willing to go cambodia

Managed to persuade them that I'll only be sticking to the tourist routes and big towns.. and I'll hide in my room under the bed if I hear any gun shots!!

Haha! i feel the best way of backpacking is to go alone and meet people there! :) widen your horizon and also know people from all over the world.
I did that during a backpacking trip a few mths ago, and it was terrific! I had the same problem as you; My mum don't allow me to travel alone, but i told her a white lie :devil: that i'm going with some other friends.

I'd love to go Cambodia with you for a photography trip, but the time doesn't permit as i'm having a major assignment on those days.. However if i'll to go, i would love spend a couple of months on the trip and do overland to the surrounding countries like vietnam, laos, etc...

Benign said:
Dun flash your money or valuables around.

Especially dun put all your money in the wallet, often when you hand your wallet with IDs to the authorities in checkpoints. The only thing you are going to get back is your wallet minus the cash :bsmilie:

For real? Sounds like somewhere I know.... ;)

behyx is indeed right ! Backpacking alone is the best way to meet other people and getting to know the locals.

I went to Cambodia alone last year and ended up having dinner with the locals every evening......really nice.......I must say Cambodians are very friendly and nice people.... They might not be as well-off as us, but even insisted on paying for my pick-up ride heading back to BKK ! Really touched.....

Of course, in every country there are bound to be black sheeps, so just be vigilant when travelling....

Hope you will make it and enjoy your trip!

Guys,

It is not a joke lah. Unless you are a seasoned traveller, alot of countries is different than Sg. Personally, I wouldn't advised Laos or even Cambodia(preferably with companions/group). The story about wallet returned minus cash is true.

If you really are 'green' traveller, just have to be extra cautious lor. Locks for your backpack. More alert and cautious is betta. I dun go around Phnom Penh with more than USD$100. I do wish to go around with less $, but sometimes when the robber find you carry too little......He might not be too happy hor :sweat:

U love the country, it enlightened me in many ways......... :)

liquidforce said:

hahaha... only son. I understand ur feeling.

Basic common sense applies:
Bring out only what u need for the day. Dress very casually (I mean, VERY). Don't flash your money and that $15,000 1DsMkII with a $3,000 70-200mm L. And never hand over ur wallet even if the person is the King of Cambodia demanding ur wallet.

Oh yeah, a tripod (or monopod) in hand might come in handy. Juz dun leave home without it ok? :) 2kg, all metal is no joke.

Weather is going pretty warm around June till Sept...do drink lot's of water. Btw do not drink water straight from the tap. Not clean and safe. Be prepared to spend about $2USD, yes USD to buy mineral water. The preferred currency is USD.

One more thing, do be careful when travelling in Phnom Penh. Many cases of robbery at gun point and avoid dark alleys.

behyx said:
My mum don't allow me to travel alone, but i told her a white lie :devil: that i'm going with some other friends.

I am calling your mom to tell her!

I think you spend more time on transport than anything. Why the need to fly to Bangkok and Saigon? There's direct flight anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.