Looking for Designers for Coffee Table Books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a very successful soft-launch on offering “Coffee Table Books for Professionals” recently.:thumbsup: On the forum and during the “factory visits”, there were requests for design, montage and layout services from photographers and there’re offering of such services from designers.
Let’s try to match-make and perhaps create a “marketplace” for these requirements on this thread..

If you are interested can follow the discussions on http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=201011

Kind regards,
:)

I'm one of those that is interested in services to design coffee table books.. My PS skill sucks :) Anyone doing do feel free to PM me your package.. Tks..

Designing for such books is not an easy thing to do. I believe any who are currently doing it can testify to that.

Besides the work itself ---conceptualisation, design and layout --- there are many production details unknown to the layman that go behind it all. Not just a matter of cut and paste. One may be able to do that for digital printing, but not so for offset printing.

Such a designer is effectively the person liasing between photographer and printer, and there can be many issues to handle that is not known to the photographer. One example would be the conversion of RGB images from the photographer to CMYK images for printing. Another is colour-proofing the artwork for the photographer.

We all don't want Clubsnap to become a place to source for cheap photographers. In the same way, Clubsnap shouldn't be a place to source for cheap designers.

So before the market gets spoilt, my questions are: How much must the photographer (and thus the client) pay for this coffee-table book design service? How much must the designer charge?

We're all in this business together. So if possible, let's be a little bit more transparent so that we can have a level of control. Set good and standard market rates for coffee-table book design that we can all agree on for this portion of the industry. And simply refuse any would-be designer who offers it below those rates.

I am both designer and photographer. From experience, both markets are either spoilt or spoiling fast. Clients value creativity, but few know the value of creativity. Most do not see the work behind good work.

So be it photography or design, we price it such that it is worth our while. And try to educate the client about our costs and how they are paying money that is worth their every cent.

At least via Clubsnap, let the designer compete based more on merit than on price.

I don't usually say so much in this forum, and i'm only one man. But if what i've said strikes home with us, and if we desire things be done properly for the sake of the creative and the creative industry, perhaps a collaborative meeting of designers and photographers would be in order. Get it right, right from the beginning. :)

p.k said:
Designing for such books is not an easy thing to do. I believe any who are currently doing it can testify to that.

Besides the work itself ---conceptualisation, design and layout --- there are many production details unknown to the layman that go behind it all. Not just a matter of cut and paste. One may be able to do that for digital printing, but not so for offset printing.

Such a designer is effectively the person liasing between photographer and printer, and there can be many issues to handle that is not known to the photographer. One example would be the conversion of RGB images from the photographer to CMYK images for printing. Another is colour-proofing the artwork for the photographer.

We all don't want Clubsnap to become a place to source for cheap photographers. In the same way, Clubsnap shouldn't be a place to source for cheap designers.

So before the market gets spoilt, my questions are: How much must the photographer (and thus the client) pay for this coffee-table book design service? How much must the designer charge?

We're all in this business together. So if possible, let's be a little bit more transparent so that we can have a level of control. Set good and standard market rates for coffee-table book design that we can all agree on for this portion of the industry. And simply refuse any would-be designer who offers it below those rates.

I am both designer and photographer. From experience, both markets are either spoilt or spoiling fast. Clients value creativity, but few know the value of creativity. Most do not see the work behind good work.

So be it photography or design, we price it such that it is worth our while. And try to educate the client about our costs and how they are paying money that is worth their every cent.

At least via Clubsnap, let the designer compete based more on merit than on price.

I don't usually say so much in this forum, and i'm only one man. But if what i've said strikes home with us, and if we desire things be done properly for the sake of the creative and the creative industry, perhaps a collaborative meeting of designers and photographers would be in order. Get it right, right from the beginning. :)

Well said! As a designer, I'd hate for the industry to come to ruins(it's getting there faster than I'm comfortable about) and for this place to serve as a source for cheap creative services. Creativity is never about the cheapest. The cheapest often also means the least creative.

I concur we should call for a meeting on this.

as a person in the creative industry i would tend to agree with the above 2 comments

maybe a different price range for levels of creativity.
just like photography, leave the cheap stuff to the monkeys

designers should be priced for their creativity of the job and not the amount of work done.

I have to agree with all of you here. Now in the creavity field the cheapeat you ask the better you are.

Take for an example. I was having some drink with some friend in clubsnap. Some wedding photographer was doing a job for $150 + print.

p.k said:

PK, well said.:thumbsup:

Since I've started this thread, perhaps I'll go one step further by calling all designers interested in these issues to meet at my factory. I'll help to moderate and throw in some refrehment. Would one of you coordinate the participants and date, preferably in the evening from 6.30 to 8.30PM.

1) How to design a Coffee Table Book or a Portfolio for digital offset production?
2) What is a good price for the service? Right price?
3) Any other issue?

The objective is not to fix a "market price" but to set some professionalism in the trade.:think:

Cheers,

Winson, you the man lah. Thanks for volunteering to host the meeting. :thumbsup:

Since I've said so much previously, I better also go one step further and help facilitate the meeting for designers. ;p

Therefore, professional designers who are interested in providing this service of designing wedding coffee-table books for photographers and their customers, please pm me with the following information:

1. CS nickname
2. Real name
3. Contact number
4. Preferred days

The time of meeting will be 6.30-8.30pm regardless, but I'll see if it's possible to find a date that suits everyone.

The agenda:
1. Introductions
2. The design process
3. Digital offset production
4. Personal selling point
5. Costing & pricing
6. Any other issues

This is a discussive meeting where everyone should contribute. I mean only to facilitate, and not to lead or impose. :)

Tentatively, registration for the meeting will close by 10 Sept.

pk can i join???

i shoot and do coffee table my own. Sometimes shooting weddings very the tire, and would like to stay home and do computer work. Don't mind shoot less and but help others to solve problems and got income also.:)

Cheers, wonderful contribution from all...
Put me in the list..
Dan

Hi pk

I am intereted to join in. pls put me name in nicholas wee 96705712.

thank

So far, we have 5 persons including myself.

1. smurfman
2. Dan
3. nicholas68
4. rolzink
5. p.k

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me interested also. Don't mind I add the name myself in the list:

1. smurfman
2. Dan
3. nicholas68
4. rolzink
5. p.k
6. PhotoSnapper

I am a designer as well as a photographer and is keen to meet for such discussion.

1. smurfman
2. Dan
3. nicholas68
4. rolzink
5. p.k
6. PhotoSnapper
7. Stor

1. smurfman
2. Dan
3. nicholas68
4. rolzink
5. p.k
6. PhotoSnapper
7. Stor
8. Hobbesyeo

1. smurfman
2. Dan
3. nicholas68
4. rolzink
5. p.k
6. PhotoSnapper
7. Stor
8. Hobbesyeo
9. jOhO

1. smurfman
2. Dan
3. nicholas68
4. rolzink
5. p.k
6. PhotoSnapper
7. Stor
8. Hobbesyeo
9. jOhO
10. destiny_star

well. same for me here. i do agree that designers that i know of sometimes undercharge me... (they are my friends la... and they do that)

well.... Winson, if you do not mind, i do have some sources for you and may provide additional services / manpower in that sense.

first of all, i have students who wish to become interns. i cannot take too many of them at the same time, so i do not mind introducing your company to the schools.

Recently there are alot of request from ITE that they hope that their students can join the industry as interns in hope to gaining experience. Departments like Digital Media Design and Product Design has expressed their interests in welcoming MNCs and local SMEs to come forward to select their interns.

They MAY not be as good as people from diploma courses, but some of them are sure committed to learn. (from my experience from ITE Intern students). Most of them are very patient to learn too.

well, my 1cent worth of suggestion thou. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.