Looking for Compact camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanlim

Oct 28, 2005
NEL
Budget: 700?

The camera on itself has to be good looking.
I'm more anal about the noise then megapixel. Basically, looking for good photo quality.
Zoom? hmm, a 28mm would be a bonus but at least a 3x optical zoom is prefered.
Oh, and an image stabilizer would be another plus point, but optional.

Thanks!

Fujifilm F1000fd?

On paper, it looks awesome. Dunno about how it really performs in real life, so you might need to research on this yourself.

:D wow the g9 looks pretty nice.
However, i'm trying to limit my range to only compact cameras. i'm trying not to move towards prosumers as i already have 2 dslrs. no point if overlap. Thanks anyway.

any more?

yup....i'm looking at the G9 myself. :heart:
Have used all the fuji F series from F20 to F50,would like to try something else.

yup....i'm looking at the G9 myself. :heart:
Have used all the fuji F series from F20 to F50,would like to try something else.

any idea how much it is?

I just read a few reviews about the sony-T200. one word, WOW.
Seems really impressive. anyone has any personal experiences on it? Oh, i couldn't find its price in SGD. anyone?:D

Thanks

up:sweatsm:

Using a Fuji F31fd. It creates usable images up to ISO 800 for me, which is very good for a compact.
So far I think Fuji F series has the best noise control for compacts, but not too sure for the newer high-megapixel models.

I just read a few reviews about the sony-T200. one word, WOW.
Seems really impressive. anyone has any personal experiences on it? Oh, i couldn't find its price in SGD. anyone?:D

Thanks

The Sony T-200 is $570 wif a 2gb card & case at MS Color.

570? its 699 at best denki. rofl

anyway, the T-200 is pretty disappointing in reality. tonnes of finger prints, doesnot have that solid touch. the only plus point is the 5x optical zoom and that smile detector thingy where you can chose your focus points.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Sony/sony_dsct200.asp

Oh, i saw the casio s10 <$500 at best denki. i believe even better price at cathay. should i get it or wait for the EX-Z200??

the link are as follows
s10
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08010707casioexs10.asp
ex-z200
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08010709casioexz100exz200.asp

T200 was released priced at $699... later, presently it is $649... this is the list price in those Harvey Norman, Courts & Best Denki... but street price is $570 only...

Saw the specification of the Casio Z200... seems impressive on paper... but have to read reviews first... I dun quite trust Casio... I have friends that ever bought slim Casio compacts, they didn't last very long, spoils quite easily...

Personally, i recently bought a used Sony T100 for $350. Just to have a compact camera with me everywhere i go...

good that you are finding out how to research yourself.. much more efficient and less biased more often than not

you can also look at imaging resource (google for this site) if you want a second opinion

now is the next step, you need to decide what features are important to you, what features are not, and your price budget limitation. then we can help you better. there are so many consumer cameras available, from as low as $100 (yar, the cui china brands) to as high as $800 still considered consumer camera. there will always be trade-offs, definitely you pay for what you get, but there is also better value for money due to brand pricing differences - some charge a premium for branding.

if you are anal about noise, as you mention in first post, then you would have to go for fujifilm, though they are not as strong as the f30/f31fd when directly compared i think, based on reviews.. due to their joining in the megapixel race and hoping that people forget that image quality is not the same as megapixel on paper. but still stronger.

based on a quick read you could try going for canon sd870is, a570is or sd950is. these are based on imaging resource which uses different names from singapore though, so you will have to find out equivalent yourself hahaha.

also, to find out price - google for alan photo, cathay photo and ms color. these have websites, and also telephone numbers. will be current, and you get a much better idea if you call yoruself, takes at most 10 minutes to run through the whole list. just make sure you have pen and paper ready and a list of what you wish to ask. ALSO, take down the name of the person who quoted you the pricing.. sometimes they will shua lai when you go to shop.. mainly talking about certain shops. alternatively, email them using the addresses provided, when you get reply print out the quotation if you are happy and go. to add on, best if you ask all 3 all the time. sometimes the price difference can be quite distinctive esp if certain shop having promo that another don't have. be a conscious consumer and make sure you know what you are buying is a lifelong skill which will benefit you not just for photography. :)

good that you are finding out how to research yourself.. much more efficient and less biased more often than not

you can also look at imaging resource (google for this site) if you want a second opinion

now is the next step, you need to decide what features are important to you, what features are not, and your price budget limitation. then we can help you better. there are so many consumer cameras available, from as low as $100 (yar, the cui china brands) to as high as $800 still considered consumer camera. there will always be trade-offs, definitely you pay for what you get, but there is also better value for money due to brand pricing differences - some charge a premium for branding.

if you are anal about noise, as you mention in first post, then you would have to go for fujifilm, though they are not as strong as the f30/f31fd when directly compared i think, based on reviews.. due to their joining in the megapixel race and hoping that people forget that image quality is not the same as megapixel on paper. but still stronger.

based on a quick read you could try going for canon sd870is, a570is or sd950is. these are based on imaging resource which uses different names from singapore though, so you will have to find out equivalent yourself hahaha.

also, to find out price - google for alan photo, cathay photo and ms color. these have websites, and also telephone numbers. will be current, and you get a much better idea if you call yoruself, takes at most 10 minutes to run through the whole list. just make sure you have pen and paper ready and a list of what you wish to ask. ALSO, take down the name of the person who quoted you the pricing.. sometimes they will shua lai when you go to shop.. mainly talking about certain shops. alternatively, email them using the addresses provided, when you get reply print out the quotation if you are happy and go. to add on, best if you ask all 3 all the time. sometimes the price difference can be quite distinctive esp if certain shop having promo that another don't have. be a conscious consumer and make sure you know what you are buying is a lifelong skill which will benefit you not just for photography. :)

:thumbsup: woa thank you so much for the solid reply! hmm my two important criteria's are must look nice (exterior) and must have low noise. As such i'm not really into fuji ( most look pretty ugly) nor canon (fat). hahaha. I find that casio cameras look pretty good. but their pretty fragile. i have one casio exilim from a few years back. :x the noise control is also :thumbsd: haha but the new s10 is tempting. anymore?! anyone?! please please :)

:thumbsup: woa thank you so much for the solid reply! hmm my two important criteria's are must look nice (exterior) and must have low noise. As such i'm not really into fuji ( most look pretty ugly) nor canon (fat). hahaha. I find that casio cameras look pretty good. but their pretty fragile. i have one casio exilim from a few years back. :x the noise control is also :thumbsd: haha but the new s10 is tempting. anymore?! anyone?! please please :)

have you been looking at canon aseries only?

canon ixus series all quite nice and slim, is directed for the market which likes chic looking cameras. for good looking cameras, i think canon attains a good balance. sony is also ok, i guess, but a lot of people tend to shy away from sony because it does after all, use memory stick pro duo instead of the usual sd card - which is cheaper also.

don't know about casio, but honestly, most casio camera reviews i've seen are not.. very encouraging.

i was at best earlier. the new canon IS series are pretty fat :/

i was at best earlier. the new canon IS series are pretty fat :/

simply put

ixus =/= is

i think

i seriously cannot imagine how you would call any ixus camera fat. and i'm not biased towards canon.. i use pentax. :bsmilie:

if low noise is impt, then get a fuji. i would rather have an ugly cam than pics with ugly noise.

:D
if low noise is impt, then get a fuji. i would rather have an ugly cam than pics with ugly noise.

Agreed. But for this specific camera, i want it to look nice. i want to bring it around for parties and holidays. I already have other cameras for the "good photo quality but not good looking" creteria

simply put

ixus =/= is

i think

i seriously cannot imagine how you would call any ixus camera fat. and i'm not biased towards canon.. i use pentax. :bsmilie:

hmm after what you said, i would give it another go tomorrow. Thanks

oh by the way, heres a reference :embrass:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd850is/page2.asp

its twice the width of a casio s10. its 26mm to 13mm >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.