Looking for collaborator to buy brand new Nikkor AF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G DX IF-ED

Status
Not open for further replies.

klooless

May 23, 2007
I'm looking for someone who wants to buy a brand new Nikkor 18-135mm DX lens to collaborate with me in buying a Nikon D80 kit. I'm looking for the D80 body only. Both of us should end up paying about 10% less than if we were to buy each piece independently.

Let me explain...I have based all prices on this forum's price guide at http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=151190

D80 Kit Price - $1820
D80 Body Only Price - $1420
18-135mm Lens Only Price - $600

Total price if body and lens were bought separately - $2020
Theoretical discount received for buying kit is roughly 10% ($200).

After sharing the 'discount', we would be paying $1280 (save $140) for the body and $540 (save $60) for the lens.

We could make an appointment to meet at the camera shop to purchase together.

I'm looking for someone who wants to buy a brand new Nikkor 18-135mm DX lens to collaborate with me in buying a Nikon D80 kit. I'm looking for the D80 body only. Both of us should end up paying about 10% less than if we were to buy each piece independently.

Let me explain...I have based all prices on this forum's price guide at http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=151190

D80 Kit Price - $1820
D80 Body Only Price - $1420
18-135mm Lens Only Price - $600

Total price if body and lens were bought separately - $2020
Theoretical discount received for buying kit is roughly 10% ($200).

After sharing the 'discount', we would be paying $1280 (save $140) for the body and $540 (save $60) for the lens.

We could make an appointment to meet at the camera shop to purchase together.

No offense but the way I see it whoever buying the lens is on the losing end.

Oracle quoted 1780 for the D80 kit and 1380 for the body only. That makes the lens 400 only. This is a savings of 140 over yours. ;)

No offense taken. I do not know the actual lowest price around, therefore I had taken the prices from the price guide in this forum for illustrating the calculation method only.

I do not understand your example however, to reiterate:
- $1780 for the kit
- $1380 for the body only.
- Therefore lens buyer should pay only $400, a savings of $140 over my previous example price of $540.

Going by your example, the lens buyer should pay only $400, the body buyer would then have to pay the balance of $1380 (same as body alone price), but do not get to share in any discounts derived from buying the kit.:dunno:

Nevertheless, could you let me know where is this Oracle shop? Their prices are $40 cheaper than that in the price guide, that is another $40 discount I could share with anyone wanting to buy the lens.

I'm not interested in grey market sets though.

No offense taken. I do not know the actual lowest price around, therefore I had taken the prices from the price guide in this forum for illustrating the calculation method only.

I do not understand your example however, to reiterate:
- $1780 for the kit
- $1380 for the body only.
- Therefore lens buyer should pay only $400, a savings of $140 over my previous example price of $540.

Going by your example, the lens buyer should pay only $400, the body buyer would then have to pay the balance of $1380 (same as body alone price), but do not get to share in any discounts derived from buying the kit.:dunno:

Nevertheless, could you let me know where is this Oracle shop? Their prices are $40 cheaper than that in the price guide, that is another $40 discount I could share with anyone wanting to buy the lens.

I'm not interested in grey market sets though.

The Oracle is here

My point is that the lens is the carrot in the kit. It is to encourage the buyer to get the kit instead of the body. By applying ur 10%, the one buying the lens is being penalised. It doesn't make sense. Might as well get the D80 kit for 1780 and sell off the body at 1280. At least he saves 100 on the lens instead of 60.

BTW the Oracle does not deal with grey sets. Full local warranty. I can vouch for it.

Thanks for the tip about the Oracle, that is some long thread at 35 pages! I'll definitely consider getting from him at such competitive prices. I'm looking for the 18-200 VR lens to go with the body. Can't seem to find the address to his shop though.

Back to the debate about the discounts...Both parties saves $100 in your model, although the body is more than twice the price of this lens. How is that different from insisting on a $20 discount during a 20% dept store sale, regardless of whether one buys a $50 or $100 item?

Thanks for the tip about the Oracle, that is some long thread at 35 pages! I'll definitely consider getting from him at such competitive prices. I'm looking for the 18-200 VR lens to go with the body. Can't seem to find the address to his shop though.

Back to the debate about the discounts...Both parties saves $100 in your model, although the body is more than twice the price of this lens. How is that different from insisting on a $20 discount during a 20% dept store sale, regardless of whether one buys a $50 or $100 item?

SMS him for the shop address. You will be in for a surprise! ;) :bsmilie:

Anyway no need to debate lah. It's just my point of view.

OK, peace! Thanks again for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.