looking for cheap hdmi component cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

fongi

Aug 19, 2008
hi, not sure if this is wat it is called. just bought a full hd tv... and to enjoy the full hd quality, i must have the hdmi cable, but i'm using the older version of the starhub box (grey color), which does not have the hdmi port. so i was advise by the sales exc to use the typical ''red, yellow, white'' component cable, but it is a hdmi cable.

this is the typical hdmi cable...
http://www.konecable.com/images/hdmi_000.jpg

the cable dat the sales exc show me is something like this
http://yuloland.com/images/cable-composite.jpg
but each wire has got 3 wire in it, making it very thick, definitely not the normal kind of component cable... but it's very expensive lor, i was quoted $180 after discount, actual was $255.

any bro here is using this type of hdmi component cable? where to get the cheaper version?
and izit called ''hdmi component cable'' in the 1st place... i tried searching, but couldn't find a pic on it... please help...:confused:

You're talking about a hybrid of the RCA as well as HDMI right? 1 end got the 3 (red, yellow, white) cables while the other end is the HDMI input? Don't buy yet. Don't know much about such cables. But i know for sure that no HDMI cable is worth $180. Lucky you din buy on the spot. If not become another carrot head.

Don't think the old set top box supports HD. You may need to get the HD box instead. MIO box works fine though. Been enjoying HD 5 :)

You're talking about a hybrid of the RCA as well as HDMI right? 1 end got the 3 (red, yellow, white) cables while the other end is the HDMI input? Don't buy yet. Don't know much about such cables. But i know for sure that no HDMI cable is worth $180. Lucky you din buy on the spot. If not become another carrot head.

nope, is actually both end oso 3 cable, and in each cable, there's 3 more cable, so it's actually very thick... it's like a advance version of a component cable... but it's meant for full hd tv.

Don't think the old set top box supports HD. You may need to get the HD box instead. MIO box works fine though. Been enjoying HD 5 :)

the old set top doesn't have the hdmi port, oni the ''red, yellow, white'' port.... so this cable is actually the hdmi cable meant for this type of set top

The 3 plug cable is known as a Composite Cable. (Yellow, Red and White colour)

Component Cables have 5 plugs. (Blue, Red, Green, Red and White colour)

For cheap HDMI cables, try playasia.com. About $10 inclusive shipping. U can research Wiki for the cable type for more info.

Last edited:
the old set top doesn't have the hdmi port, oni the ''red, yellow, white'' port.... so this cable is actually the hdmi cable meant for this type of set top

The standard set-top boxes only support composite connections. Hubstation has component connections and only the HD boxes have HDMI connections. So if u want HDMI, u have to upgrade to a HD box.

Last edited:
The standard set-top boxes only support composite connections. Hubstation has component connections and only the HD boxes have HDMI connections. So if u want HDMI, u have to upgrade to a HD box.

actually there is... cos the sales exc show me... but it's costly, at $180... i'm just thinking if there is a cheaper version... or else i'll have to up grade my box liao...:)

Bro

There is NO component to HDMI cable. None of the pics show such a cable.

A decent component cable can be had for < $100 for a 1m length, and I am talking videophile quality.

HDMI is digital, component is analogue.

See this forum:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=226

And look up the threads on HDMI and Starhub STB.

Your sales person is having you on.

actually there is... cos the sales exc show me... but it's costly, at $180... i'm just thinking if there is a cheaper version... or else i'll have to up grade my box liao...:)

Component, hdmi, composite are different stuff.

Component 3 wire, green red blue are all for video signal
Composite 3 wire, yellow for video, red white for audio
Hdmi digital 1 cable for audio & video

If u need to have both end different you'll need a convertor

Monoprice sells a lot of cables. I got some cheap hdmi cables when ordering some other stuff from there. They provided good fast service. http://www.monoprice.com

Note, I used vpost to ship over.

Bro

There is NO component to HDMI cable. None of the pics show such a cable.

A decent component cable can be had for < $100 for a 1m length, and I am talking videophile quality.

HDMI is digital, component is analogue.

See this forum:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=226

And look up the threads on HDMI and Starhub STB.

Your sales person is having you on.

bro... trust me.... she do a demo using the normal and the hdmi composite cable to show me the difference...dat's y i oso abit stunned... is as good as a hdmi cable... btw the store is ''Audio House''... dat's y i'm checking to see if any bro here using this combi for their set

tks all for the tips... i think i just go down to SLS to look see if they carry any of those weird wires... worst case scenario is to upgrade box liao... ;)

Let me repeat this:

There is NO SUCH THING as a HDMI Component cable.

There are:
Composite cables
Component cables
& HDMI cables.

bro... trust me.... she do a demo using the normal and the hdmi composite cable to show me the difference...dat's y i oso abit stunned... is as good as a hdmi cable... btw the store is ''Audio House''... dat's y i'm checking to see if any bro here using this combi for their set

Let me repeat this:

There is NO SUCH THING as a HDMI Component cable.

There are:
Composite cables
Component cables
& HDMI cables.

maybe got leh... the middle got a convertor bah... might have missed that out... lol...

dun judge it too fast...

btw, i think one of the most alarming discovery is he said its not component, and composite instead... and picture quality of Full HD... think that one enuff to justify the cost liao... i wan 1 to plug from my comp to the tv liao...

Hmmmm... Its as if saying a VCD player can give HD quality just by using a better or special cable in my opinion. Kinda far fetched.

hi, not sure if this is wat it is called. just bought a full hd tv... and to enjoy the full hd quality, i must have the hdmi cable, but i'm using the older version of the starhub box (grey color), which does not have the hdmi port. so i was advise by the sales exc to use the typical ''red, yellow, white'' component cable, but it is a hdmi cable.

this is the typical hdmi cable...
http://www.konecable.com/images/hdmi_000.jpg

the cable dat the sales exc show me is something like this
http://yuloland.com/images/cable-composite.jpg
but each wire has got 3 wire in it, making it very thick, definitely not the normal kind of component cable... but it's very expensive lor, i was quoted $180 after discount, actual was $255.

any bro here is using this type of hdmi component cable? where to get the cheaper version?
and izit called ''hdmi component cable'' in the 1st place... i tried searching, but couldn't find a pic on it... please help...:confused:

The component cables (green, blue, red) usually cost $10-$20 at your local hardware shops. The gold plated version should cost more. These cables produce slightly improved IQ but it's not a big improvement though compared to normal AV cable (yellow).

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.