Looking for Cats for shoot....

Status
Not open for further replies.

goo82sg

Feb 10, 2005
Hi guys... have a sudden passion to shoot cats.. any owners kind enough to let your cats model.. hehe.. anyone interested in shootin cats too.. pls join.. can exchange pointers in shooting.. also a talk **** make fren session.. all are welcome..

Go shoot the boat quay cats?

my aviatar is the cat from boat quay.. hehe...

Can count me in?? ;p

slleong said:
Can count me in?? ;p

all are welcome... those interested pls pm your contacts.. perhaps can organise a cat shoot... if oni you n me.. you ok with it ?

Hi goo82sg,

Ever considered taking photos of lots of cats of all shapes and sizes. Probably you can try out one place at Lorong Halus (Pasir Ris Farmway). The place is actually rented to one Kind lady for strays cats and dogs. When I was doing some volunteering work there last time, saw a group of photographers. I am sure they will appreciate you guys for taking nice pics of them and probably promote the place so that ppl looking for cats can look them at the shelter. You do get to see persians and nicer domestic cats there too.

Sorry but I will only be able to post the address and name as I dont have it off hand

Cheers,
tltan

Hi goo82sg,

It's a very cute, and I'm sure, heartwarming idea. If you manage to shoot nice cat/kitten portraits, you will be creating some very impactful images seldom seen in S'pore's shoot-gal-models-day-in-day-out mentality.

I would like to bring to your attention some difficulty with photographing cats. (I have 4 cats.)

Cats are more aloof and detached to people compared to dogs. While both cats and dogs will probably not understand your instructions and not cooperate with you like human models, dogs may be easier to shoot than cats as cats may ignore you or run away. It may help slightly to have the cat owner around to watch their animal, and help you out with holding the cat's attention.

Cats have eyes with a very large pupils. If you photograph cats indoors, their pupils will open wide enough to cause red-eye (green-eye in cats) even if you bounce. It's really that difficult. Dogs don't present such a difficult problem.

You could try bringing the cat outdoors but the owners may worry about their animal catching fleas. If the worry isn't there, then the bigger problem would be frightening the cat. Unlike dogs, pet cats are more wary about their unfamiliar surroundings and may run off (not towards their owners) to hide.

Ok, I'm not here to burst your enthusiasm but just letting you know.

An alternative suggestion would be to shoot friendly strays which are probably outdoors (brighter areas) but they may be dirty, injured or abused. However, such images could tell strong stories about a day in the life of stray cats in Singapore.

tltan said:
Hi goo82sg,

Ever considered taking photos of lots of cats of all shapes and sizes. Probably you can try out one place at Lorong Halus (Pasir Ris Farmway). The place is actually rented to one Kind lady for strays cats and dogs. When I was doing some volunteering work there last time, saw a group of photographers. I am sure they will appreciate you guys for taking nice pics of them and probably promote the place so that ppl looking for cats can look them at the shelter. You do get to see persians and nicer domestic cats there too.

Sorry but I will only be able to post the address and name as I dont have it off hand

Cheers,
tltan

sure.. can pm me the details? perhaps if the thread works.. can organise a trip down..

btw.. i have queries... is it better to shoot in a small group as we might able to scared off the cats.. i not too sure.. suddenly have this hunch...

tltan said:
Hi goo82sg,

Cheers,
tltan

Farmway is mettacats org ? They open mainly on saturday

hi goo82sg, just to share with u, it really depends on the personality and past experiences/upbringing, that would determine if the cat would be frightened away. if u find a grp of cats who are used to ppl ard them, a whole bunch of photogs wouldnt be a prob.

i keep cats myself, 7 to be precise, and i think ur bigger difficulty would be lighting. as mentioned by Jemapela, red eye is almost a confirmed-have issue if u use flash, regardless of the colour of the cat's eye. with poor lighting, u may find it easier to shoot lazy adult cats rather than kittens. (if the adults are too active, bring some canned cat food along and let them eat, after they eat they will start to clean themselves and relax - a good way to win their company too!)

a word of caution whether shooting strays or housed cats. if u get close to a cat, careful how close u get, kittens especially. dogs will come sniff and lick ur equipment, but a curious cat will use it's paw. a paw which if outdoor, is full with sand and if indoor, possibly cat litter.

and we know how they love their reflection in the lenses no? :)

uncleparty said:
hi goo82sg, just to share with u, it really depends on the personality and past experiences/upbringing, that would determine if the cat would be frightened away. if u find a grp of cats who are used to ppl ard them, a whole bunch of photogs wouldnt be a prob.

i keep cats myself, 7 to be precise, and i think ur bigger difficulty would be lighting. as mentioned by Jemapela, red eye is almost a confirmed-have issue if u use flash, regardless of the colour of the cat's eye. with poor lighting, u may find it easier to shoot lazy adult cats rather than kittens. (if the adults are too active, bring some canned cat food along and let them eat, after they eat they will start to clean themselves and relax - a good way to win their company too!)

a word of caution whether shooting strays or housed cats. if u get close to a cat, careful how close u get, kittens especially. dogs will come sniff and lick ur equipment, but a curious cat will use it's paw. a paw which if outdoor, is full with sand and if indoor, possibly cat litter.

and we know how they love their reflection in the lenses no? :)

yea.. i had this problem too.. the curious kitten reached for my lens... i was fortunant that my filter was scratched oni.. if i were to do a close up, i definately get a cheap filter to do it.. haha..

thanks guys for pointing out the green eye thingy when shooting at low light.. i often shoot stray cats in open bright day... didnt have this problem...
like to thanks all whom had shared their views...

Hi guys, a generous owner has offered his 2 cats for shoot.. anyone interested in the shoot? i was thinking of bringing it outdoor.. pls help me brainstorm too.. i only have minminal experience shooting stray cats... pls do help me... i will keep in touch with him and arrange a day for shoot.. will try to post the photo of the 2 cats, with consent of the owner's permission..

wat sort of help do u need?

personally my cats dont want to go outdoors. they've never ever been outdoors before, once i try to bring one downstairs just walk walk, bring to lift there already damn scared. jump out of my hand and growl in my corner. lol.

be careful dun lose other pp's cat le...
sometimes cats get spooked easily outdoors...
it they really panicked and run... :sweat:

i suggest doing it in a confined place, at least u have more control...
than to risk the owner's cat running away...

flash may be used without causing red/green eye.

refer to my post here

It was shot in the night with only the void deck dim fluoro tubes as lighting and my flash.

When shooting cats, I prefer to shoot them in the early morning or late evening/night when their irises open up to become round. In the bright afternoon, their eyes becomes slits which look 'evil' or fierce to me. not really my taste. Big round eyes depict cuteness :D hope to see you guys' pics soon.

Hullo,

I dont think its a good idea to bring the cats outdoor as they might be stressed. They are better off at their original location so that they are at their natural state of mind and posture.

Its not metta cats in fact. Its near (beside) to a green building besides Pet Movers. http://www.petmovers.com.sg/pasirrismap.html Free parking if you can find it at the Pet Movers carpark...sort of...if there are space available. Otherwise, can park anywhere along the road =)

Think it will be very meaningful if ppl can know that strays at such houses are very very beautiful. You will also be surprised that there are hundreds to thousands of cats there.

Regards,
tltan

Do count me in if there is an outing on cats photoshooting.

ResizeofDSCF1683.jpg

Serenity.. :)

Pls be patient guys... I am trying to come up with something.. Tentatively, I hope to set the shoot on a sunday.. Either it be early mornings or late evenings... Pls do pm if you guys have somewhere in mind, honestly, the place i go.. only got one or two cats at the back alley.. if whole bunch were to go.. sure scared it off... i am also pm a owner if he be kind enough to go his house shoot.. hehe..

Status
Not open for further replies.