Looking for Beginner Full Body Recommendation

JayBern

Nov 26, 2008
Bishan
jaybern.blogspot.com
Hello all!

I've recently been on a holiday and I borrowed a Nikon D3100 to take pictures of the trip and particularly the night sky.

I'll share the link to my Flickr later!

I'm planning on getting one myself. And looking for recommendations for a full body so I can take better night skies. But I'll also want to take day shots. Mainly landscapes but also portraits in general.

Is there a full body out there that is as versatile as what I'm looking for?

Any tips on how to zero in and select my cam? Apart from budget. I'm quote lost in all the jargon...

Thanks in advance! [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

If you liked the Nikon camera and the menu style then go and check the recent Nikon cameras. Any entry level will serve your purpose, the rest is skills and knowledge you need to pick up. Don't sweat too much over the cam.

'Full body' is not a term used within the realm of photography. I'd hazard a guess that you want a recommendation for a camera body and lens combination that would suit your choice of subjects. At the very least, you'll need a tripod too if you intend to embark on astrophotography (again, I'm just guessing here). Kit lens ftw, I still use mine after 5 years! :D

Take a day or two to read up on the technical terms. Then go set a budget, as this would help you narrow down on your desired Nikon model really really fast. Don't sweat too much over your first cam, just take it out and start shooting.

Looking at your previous thread created 7 years ago, you have yet start your own study on photography and cam models. Start learning from the world of internet libraries on this question and I am sure you can make your own decision very soon.

'Full body' is not a term used within the realm of photography. I'd hazard a guess that you want a recommendation for a camera body and lens combination that would suit your choice of subjects. At the very least, you'll need a tripod too if you intend to embark on astrophotography (again, I'm just guessing here). Kit lens ftw, I still use mine after 5 years! :D

Take a day or two to read up on the technical terms. Then go set a budget, as this would help you narrow down on your desired Nikon model really really fast. Don't sweat too much over your first cam, just take it out and start shooting.

Yes that is correct! And I meant to say full-frame not full body.

Astrophotography indeed is my primary aim here. I know I'm just sweating on the first cam for nothing. Thanks for the reassuring pat for my selection process!

Looking at your previous thread created 7 years ago, you have yet start your own study on photography and cam models. Start learning from the world of internet libraries on this question and I am sure you can make your own decision very soon.

Indeed I did ask about it back then. Looking and the number of years back, I'm sure I had a perfectly rational reason for dropping the intent to pick this up as a hobby. I actually did a research to find out more but like you mentioned the "world of internet" has way too much info. I'm just trying to get a fellow forumer's opinion (and perhaps a fellow local) on the topic of my first cam.

Also I'm lazy as f hahaha..

The d810a but budget... Probably the d610?

Guess I gotta wait for the next tech fair and go explore! [emoji4]

If astro will be your primary aim, Full frame bodies will definitely yield better image quality as compared to crop body sensors.

And on the budget side, there are various brands and models to choose from. Doubt you will go wrong with any of them.
- Sony A7 (too many in the 7 series of Sony)
- Nikon D6XX/D7XX
- Canon 6D

It's not recommended that you go for those with 'a' behind it. E.g. 60Da or D810a. Because they have some special filter (on the sensor) that will make your normal photos abit weird (e.g. slightly reddish or other stuffs)

Body asides, you will also have to consider the lens factor. For best image quality wise, many would go for large aperture lenses (e.g. f2.8 and or wider like f1.4). Do factor the lens cost in ur budget as well.

I'm not trying to say that f3.5 or 'slower' lens wouldn't do the job, just that most would prefer to keep the ISO as low as possible. My "starting point" for milky way would probably be around ISO3200, f2.8, 20sec... Using a f3.5, you will have to go maybe to ISO6400.

As for where you want to explore the cameras, you might want to read this thread first: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1047612 May be an old article, but I doubt anything have changed since then.

Sony A7 nv go wrong, full frame =d small light weight

Might be a good idea to start out on a slightly cheaper camera first. Make sure you are really serious about photography before committing to get a full frame camera.

just buy sony A7.

Pentax K3ii
Built in GPS that shifts the in camera Sensor Shake reduction to track the sky for astro photography

If you're going for astro photography.

A tracking telescope with a camera adapter and a camera body is one option. Most use the T2 mount.

Alternative is to mount your camera and lens onto a tracking tripod.

Of the 2, the telescope plus camera body is cheaper.

Camera, full frame has lower noise than cropped so is better.

Alternative is one of those astrocams.