Looking for backpackers to travel to Xinjiang

Status
Not open for further replies.

sh_37

Apr 10, 2006
West Coast
Hi guys,

I'm looking for hardy backpackers to travel to xinjiang together with me. Planning to leave soon actually, end of may, unless some of you have plans to travel there around late july. I dont mind travelling then too!

Travel route is Udon Thani via Tigerairways. 30hr bus ride to Kunming. Then a train to Chengdu, then train to Urumqi. This is to minimise travelling cost; time is not a factor for me and my friend.

Not sure if this is possible in actual fact, cos i did my research online thus far. Any travelling advice and tips are welcome from one and all.

thanks!
shihan

How long a trip are you planning?

erm... planning to go for about 2 weeks... time spent at stop overs such as chengdu, kunming would be minimal as the main point is to visit xinjiang.

Budget is set at about S$1000. not sure if it would be enough to allow us to travel round urumqi to see the sights tho.

Flight to Udon Thani: ~$97 via Tiger Airways
30 hr Bus from Vietianne to Kunming: ~ $40-50
Train from Kunming to Chengdu:~ $30
Train from Chengdu to Urumqi:~ $ 103

Total one way cost: ~$280-300

:think:

Advice from cheersjy is that now is not a good time to visit kanas as the trees are still green as opposed to being red in sept.
:dunno: may post pone the trip to sept. pending...

meanwhile, still looking for fellow travellers!

That sound interesting but Xijiang is very far for me. Why not take straight train after the flight?

think there is no straight train... well, according to the website. to be sure... well, go to the train station? Haha.

Hi guys,

I'm looking for hardy backpackers to travel to xinjiang together with me.

erm... planning to go for about 2 weeks... time spent at stop overs such as chengdu, kunming would be minimal as the main point is to visit xinjiang.

Flight to Udon Thani: ~$97 via Tiger Airways
30 hr Bus from Vietianne to Kunming: ~ $40-50
Train from Kunming to Chengdu:~ $30
Train from Chengdu to Urumqi:~ $ 103

Total one way cost: ~$280-300

I think you really need very hardy travellers to try this routing ....

Have you checked out the timing of the buses and trains for connection times and waiting times ... Do you know if there are "direct" connection between bus and trains .... ?

It is fun to do, but beware and be ready for all the pitfall along the way ... And you should be dead tired after travelling and arriving into Urumqi. That is only the entry into xinjiang ... not even the highlight and scenic spot that you would want to visit ...

Kanas and Kashgar are both in different directions from Urumqi and both will take you more time to travel to ... so what time is left for sightseeing, visiting and photo shoot ... ? You may get some fantastic photo opportunities aling the way on your travels to Urumqi, but whatever time you have left to explore Xinjiang is very limited. So where is the point of the trip ... BUT of course ... getting there is half the fun ...

I suggest you rethink your plans and if you are going only in Sept ... at least there is more time to save some money ... Take a flight from SIN to Beijing to Urumqi or at least SIN to Beijing and then train from there .... Save a little stress and have more time to enjoy XinJiang ... it is a very big place to see even in 2 weeks ....

think there is no straight train... well, according to the website. to be sure... well, go to the train station? Haha.

I believe it should have, but i dun knw the website will show anot. Let me go check it out

Well, you said time is not a factor for you & your friend but planning to go for only 2 weeks? Your route makes sense only if you would be spending time in the various stopovers, which 1 month also not enough :)
Xinjiang is absolutely wonderful place to visit; Do yourself, your friend, and the place justice - spend quality time there :)

Anyway, someone's looking for kakis in Sep....
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=278281

yes, time is not a factor for us. i said 2 weeks, but if it takes longer to enjoy the place, we jolly well will stay.

nuts:may i know the primary mode of transport around Urumqi and its costs? By the way, i saw your gallery. Love it!

In Urumqi itself, its buses & walking :)
For transport out, eg. to Tianshan or some of the northern towns/cities etc, there are some buses available which is relatively cheap, but for flexibility and convenience, we (abt 7 of us) rented a mini-van and driver for a 2 week trip up north.

Train to Kashgar is abt 500+yuan for a soft sleeper.

yes, time is not a factor for us. i said 2 weeks, but if it takes longer to enjoy the place, we jolly well will stay.

nuts:may i know the primary mode of transport around Urumqi and its costs? By the way, i saw your gallery. Love it!

- i think u need 4 weeks..

- try hard sleeper instead of soft sleeper on train.

- sleeper ticket are hard to buy, u need to understand the schedule of how they sell the ticket.

- since u r not going to kanas, try kashgar and tashkurgan (forgot how to spell...)

ENJOY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.