Looking for Advice on Lighting for our Product photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zigom

Feb 3, 2010
Iowa
I am looking for expert suggestions to help me choose a lighting setup for food/bakery box photography.

We sell bakery boxes over the internet and want to improve our product photos. We use a Canon EOS 350D with the EFS 18-55mm lens and office lights that give our boxes a filthy dingy appearance that must be corrected in Photoshop.

We photograph the boxes on a table that is 5 feet wide by 2 ½ feet deep with a black canvas backdrop that allows the boxes to stand out, but is a bit industrial.

It is important to our business to have a solution that is easy for the amateur to get the desired lighting. This is more a priority than price. Our workspace is about 7 feet by 7 feet (in the server room closet).
Below is a picture of our work area and an example of our product picture before Photoshop.

workarea.jpg

lightsample.JPG

i may not be a proffesional as i have only done 1 product shoot on my own before while mostly i was just assisting my boss in it.

i suggest using flash.
not the on board flash.

but external flash mounted on light stand/tripod with umbrella (soft/bounce)
i think its pretty much basic setup ?

my guess is the office lighting would be abit yellowish which added with the wrong white balance settings would make it worse

using one flash will give abit of shadow (harsh shadow if direct flash)
so can try with 2 to help eliminate.

if you dont have a flash to play around with, i suggest try setting your white balance on the camera 1st.

like i said, im no pro, just a student learning and experimenting.

hope that helps !:lovegrin:

If it is more a priority than price, why not engage professional photographers to so the shoot?

Get a contant light source, like the ones tagotech's selling. you might want to play with different backdrops, get some warm colors if it's food you're shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.