Looking for a ultra-wide angle zoom for my D750

petetherock

Oct 9, 2006
Hi bros
I currently use a 28-300 as an all purpose lens for my travels.
My hobby covers landscapes, portraits etc - a pretty wide range (pun intended)

But sometimes I long for a little more coverage when I am in the wild, and that 28mm isn't wide enough.

I don't see a lot of wide angle FX zoom lenses under 1k.

So my current choices:

1- 18-35mm Nikon 3.5-4.5G for about $810
2- Tokina 16-28 F2.8 for about $850

Are there any other choices, or suggestions?

Thanks

Thanks, but none of them fit what I posted earlier, cheers.
I only have 1k... :(

Perhaps Samyang 14mm f2.8? It's a cheaper alternative.

Thanks
I checked with Alan Photo and even these prime lenses will cost 4-600.
I reckon I am better off with the budget Nikon ..
Anyone seen the 18-35 at a lower price than $805 cash?

Thanks
I checked with Alan Photo and even these prime lenses will cost 4-600.
I reckon I am better off with the budget Nikon ..
Anyone seen the 18-35 at a lower price than $805 cash?

Since u alrdy using Nikon 28-300, u shld be naturally looking at Tokina 16-28 f2.8, but local shops with export sets, since local shops with Tokina warranty would still be selling at higher than 1k.

Nikon lenses shld be out of ur budget unless u turn to second hand market. Nikon 18-35 isnt that impressive a range either for wide angle despite boasting good image quality.

I got my Sigma 12-24 ver2 at below 1k, that was an export set bought from a local shop. Dunno if u can still find any here below 1k, so i didnt dare to recommend to u.

Thanks, but none of them fit what I posted earlier, cheers.
I only have 1k... :(

do note not all ultra wide lenses able to use normal glass filter with threads,

if this is an issue to you, than go for Nikon 18-35 or Nikon 16-35, cause you will rather save a couple of hundreds on the those special size filter set and spend it on the lenses

and FYI, spend more on lenses, you will change your camera for every two or three years, but lenses will last you for very very very long time.

I got a Nikon 20mm F/2.8 AF-D for less then sgd500 from ebay. Its not 'ultra' wide but its nice as a 2nd lens to bring along when you travel. (Do you really want to bring two big lens when you're out?)

I used to own the 28-300mm, but have switched to a 24-120mm. (Slightly wider, and I find sharper)

I would go with the 18-35G. Previously owned the 18-35D before I jumped to 17-35D.

I'll say the 18-35G is a very good upgrade from the previous version. Worth the $.

Don't bother trying to save that $5-10 by looking all around. Just get it at what you can find (IF you can find) off the shelves.

Long ago 35mm was considered wide angle, down to 24mm. Ultra-wide started at 20mm and at that time it went to 15mm.

Today I see people calling 20mm not ultra-wide; I disagree. I think the technique of handling changes quite drastically starting from 20mm. My all time favourite is still the 20mm, now I have both the f/1.8G and f/2.8D (size consideration kicks in when traveling). And also the 16-35G, which I must admit I choose over 18-35G due to the 36 MP resolution of the D800 (also because I could spare the extra cash); so I can't tell you if 18-35G is a good compromise on cost, size and performance - it probably is and I would probably be as happy with it as well. Can't tell you anything about the Tokina, although I found the 11-17DX Fisheye zoom to be sharp enough for me on D800 (that's without a chance to compare it against the 16mm f/2.8D). You'll have to choose, maybe if your regular shop will let you mount and take a few test shots, bring laptop to pixel peep.

If you don't mind not having a zoom, add AFS 20mm f/1.8G at about $930 to the list of contenders. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
do note not all ultra wide lenses able to use normal glass filter with threads,

if this is an issue to you, than go for Nikon 18-35 or Nikon 16-35, cause you will rather save a couple of hundreds on the those special size filter set and spend it on the lenses

and FYI, spend more on lenses, you will change your camera for every two or three years, but lenses will last you for very very very long time.

Best advice for any photographer!

For me a Digital Camera = Digital Trash...... cause its worthless in 3 years. lol

I tend to favor Nikon lenses when it comes to ultra-wide, save my Sigma 10-20mm f/4-f/5.6 during my early DX days.

If you have budget constraints, I'd recommend the Samyang 14mm. Cheap and good. For all the offerings by Tamron and Tokina, I'd say just save up for the Nikon 16-35mm or 14-24mm (the latter is what I'm using).

Hi bros
I currently use a 28-300 as an all purpose lens for my travels.
My hobby covers landscapes, portraits etc - a pretty wide range (pun intended)

But sometimes I long for a little more coverage when I am in the wild, and that 28mm isn't wide enough.

I don't see a lot of wide angle FX zoom lenses under 1k.

So my current choices:

1- 18-35mm Nikon 3.5-4.5G for about $810
2- Tokina 16-28 F2.8 for about $850

Are there any other choices, or suggestions?

Thanks

I borrowed a Tokina 16-28mm from a friend to try out on my 5DSR. The results were great, even with a high resolution camera. Its probably the best bang for the buck at this time. Downside, it's heavy and doesn't take screw-in filters.

I think the recent ultra wide zooms from 3rd party makers are really giving old favourites like the Nikkor 14-24mm a run for their money. The Tamron 15-30mm seems good too but it costs twice as much as the Tokina.

you guys are so evil to TS drooling on the 14-24 lenses.

to TS, don't think too much, just buy anything that fit into your budget,
else, save up and buy the 14-24.

Right now for budget and weight reasons, I am leaning towards the Nikon 17-35...

I have a plan to use it for the first time at a wedding, to take an 'all-fi' from one end of the hall and get everyone into the shot!

Will feel the Tokina when I get a chance to go down to SLS or Funan...

Right now I am looking at Alan Photo or TK Photo to make my purchase.

Have you considered a fast prime? This wedding in a hall you speak of...what sort of light? Flash?

Last edited:
Have you considered a fast prime? This wedding in a hall you speak of...what sort of light? Flash?

Thanks bro, the hall shot is just one of the many shots, so I won't be buying a single use lens. Hence the zoom lens is more useful and doesn't cost more. Unless you have a UWA lens that fits my needs and budget?