Status
Not open for further replies.

kex

Oct 16, 2002
beebox
www.beebox.com.sg
Hi,

i just booked a ticket to HCM from Tiger airway departing on 29th Jan

Anyone interested to join me for a mostly photography trip there ?

u can leave earlier if u wish.

Budget travelling style..

Any tips on interesting places there appreciated as well :D

kex said:
Hi,

i just booked a ticket to HCM from Tiger airway departing on 29th Jan

Anyone interested to join me for a mostly photography trip there ?

u can leave earlier if u wish.

Budget travelling style..

Any tips on interesting places there appreciated as well :D

Probably, we are on the same flight! There will be 2 flight in the morning of half an hour interval...not sure which flight you travelled. I will be back on 9th Feb 06.
Well, I have not planned where n places to shoot....will like to do more on Natural such as bird, macro and landscrape.
Btw, the first few days, I may not be abled to make it because got to spend time with my wife n their family lor..
Have you planned where to shoot? What lens youire using?

hi there!

my flight is TR 328 on 29th

i will most likely be going up Hue and hoi an for a week or so,then down back to nha trang and HCM

i am doing more street,city/landscape and architecture lei...

i will be staying in the pham Ngu lao area aka backpacker street at madam Cuc 127 till 1st feb.

i only have a standard lens with me and a zoom with my Sony T9

kex said:
hi there!

my flight is TR 328 on 29th

i will most likely be going up Hue and hoi an for a week or so,then down back to nha trang and HCM

i am doing more street,city/landscape and architecture lei...

i will be staying in the pham Ngu lao area aka backpacker street at madam Cuc 127 till 1st feb.

i only have a standard lens with me and a zoom with my Sony T9

Ohh..same flight.. since you're going to Hue, Hoi an and Nha Trang..why not you depart from S'pore to Hanoi...it is much nearer and cheaper.
Well, I'm unable to make my way to Hanoi this time and will be shooting somewhere within HCM.
Let chat during our flight to HCM...

Eh? Nha Trang is nearer to HCM. So HCM->NhaTrang->HoiAn->Hue is good cos it breaks the journey. Hanoi->Hue is one long journey.

Minlon said:
Ohh..same flight.. since you're going to Hue, Hoi an and Nha Trang..why not you depart from S'pore to Hanoi...it is much nearer and cheaper.
Well, I'm unable to make my way to Hanoi this time and will be shooting somewhere within HCM.
Let chat during our flight to HCM...

wow 30.5hr! ?

i been to hanoi last yr,so this yr go HCM--->Hue-->hoi an-->nha trang--->hcm route..

any idea whether lonely planet covers the above places?

i can only find info on HCM on lonely planet website..

Any interesting places in Hue and hoi an ??

:)

Was in HCMC for 18 days in 2004, and 2 days last mth.
But I didn't go to any of the touristy spots, except Mekong delta & Cu Chi tunnel. Went to the rural areas instead. HCMC is good for shoppers, and Hanoi good for snappers.

Just as i expected..

i'm planning to spend most of my time at the coastal region..maybe a day or 2 back HCM before coming back sin..

Any experience with Hue or Hoi an ??

If in HCM, my wife recommended to go Dalat. It's like going up to Genting....

url]

I love Hoi An!
Didn't quite like Nha Trang. I think for beach/seaside, Mui Ne may be a better choice. YMMV :)
All these places are the well-trodden path. Definitely in LP. Since you're staying in the backpackers area, you can even buy a "illegal" copy of LP on the streets!

Some photos on my website..
http://www.roving-light.com/gallery/vietnam/index.html

dalat sounds interesting !

anyway,can i check in my B+W film developer and a bottle of Fixer on board??

hey nutz,i tink i will get an original copy instead, support IP ! :)

No lah, I'm just telling you they have those there...
Personally, I go library and borrow all my guidebooks!! :)

kex said:

hey nutz,i tink i will get an original copy instead, support IP ! :)

kex said:
wow 30.5hr! ?

i been to hanoi last yr,so this yr go HCM--->Hue-->hoi an-->nha trang--->hcm route..

any idea whether lonely planet covers the above places?

i can only find info on HCM on lonely planet website..

Any interesting places in Hue and hoi an ??

:)

Kex if you need a Lonely Planet guide to Vietnam covering these places, you can borrow mine no problem. Just drop me a PM with your tel no. I will even include free souvenir postcards so you don't have to buy ;-)

Hue is a fairly small and compact place. I think 2 days is about enough. Rent a bicycle or motorbike to help facilitate exploring - for me, it's mandatory in order to save time and effort not having to walk too much. I got so badly sunburnt cycling around (in summer) that I needed to buy sunburn lotion. The old imperial palace ruins/Citadel, the market, er, that's about it - the entry for Hue in the Lonely Planet guide is therefore understandably short. Spend some money hiring a guide to the palace ruins. It's quite good to get a running commentary in order to make sense of the place. And then cycle or motorcycle around the OUTSIDE of the palace, within the Citadel. It's a very charming place. Oh, that funny lighted bridge does have a direction to the footpaths. If you take the 'wrong' direction, the lights can be pretty blinding - get there and you'll know what I mean. Have a meal at the Mandarin Cafe. The guilo food is excellent and the owner is quite a picture buff. He can arrange excursions to some imperial tombs from the cafe. I then got a car to take me from Hue to Hoi An, which was the fastest way to get there. There are also buses.

I spent 4.5 days vege-ing out in Hoi An (I didn't make it to HCM that trip because I found Hoi An quite charming). Nice place just to do nothing but it's admittedly very touristy by Vietnamese standards. I stayed outside the town and rented a motorbike. I had never rode one before. I figured if I could operate a bicycle, how hard is a motorbike right? ;-) Took me half and hour to figure things out going up and down the road from the hotel. It was an extremely liberating experience but I kinda chickened out on riding the bike to the Marble Mountains. Next time, next time.......

Oh, petrol is always cheaper at the proper petrol stations. The locals are kinda proud of their tailoring but be warned, most of the stuff ARE crap quality, AFTER the first wash ;-) Food is generally very good in Hoi An. The Brothers Cafe branch in Hoi An is spectacular - er, as are the prices unfortunately......

I didn't visit the nearby Champa ruins (My Son) when I was there but I plan to the next time. You should join the half-day excursion to the ruins. Apparently there's one that goes there by bus and back by boat. Sounded interesting.

Apparently at least one budget airline flies direct to Danang now. Danang airport is the nearest one to Hoi An. About 30-40 minutes by car to Hoi An from Danang.

Wow kah heng !

that is really helpful ! alrdy got a frd to get a copy of the lonely planet at borders jus now.
Thanks for ur offer anyway,i appreciate that :)

i got almost 2 wks to slowly explore Hue and hoi an, will definitely explore the entire Hue!

Looking forward to my yearly break from work..i think will be chilling out at hoi an before making my way back to HCM for some last min shopping..

Do u have any experience about checking in film developer(hc110) and fixer on board?

kex said:
Wow kah heng !

that is really helpful ! alrdy got a frd to get a copy of the lonely planet at borders jus now.
Thanks for ur offer anyway,i appreciate that :)

That's alright. You can also borrow my copy of the one to Iran if you're going there. None of my friends seem interested for some reason.......

kex said:
i got almost 2 wks to slowly explore Hue and hoi an, will definitely explore the entire Hue!

2 weeks for Hue and Hoi An is probably an overkill even for a slow coach traveller like me. I don't think you need 2 weeks for these two places. Hue is really fairly tiny. Why not travel the Mekong a bit if you have the time?

kex said:
Looking forward to my yearly break from work..i think will be chilling out at hoi an before making my way back to HCM for some last min shopping..

Hmm, I hear the shopping IS pretty good in HCM esp. for things like sports wear.

kex said:
Do u have any experience about checking in film developer(hc110) and fixer on board?

Er, no. You mean you're planning to process your film on the road? Why would you want to do that? Oh are you buying them for a friend who's over there?

I brought 120 gigs of free space the last time ;-)

i'm think of developing the sheet film at nite mah..Since nothing to do..

just need a thermometer and 2 6x8 tray..

just toying with the idea la,coz the HC-110 just a small bottle mah..

I concur!
I think Mekong is certainly worth a couple of days at least...

kahheng said:
2 weeks for Hue and Hoi An is probably an overkill even for a slow coach traveller like me. I don't think you need 2 weeks for these two places. Hue is really fairly tiny. Why not travel the Mekong a bit if you have the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.