looking for a nikon lens.. but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

modenaslim

Mar 2, 2003
Yishun Broadway KopiDiam
Visit site
helping a fren to shoot a wedding end of this month...
Looking for a lens to use with F100 ( may be use with D70 in near future)
Can anyone advise me on what lens to buy...
budget is less than S$400 (2nd hand also can)

what i had in mind is
1)AFS24-85 f3.5-f4.5
2)
3)

What other lens is good and cheap leh??
Sigma leh??...

wish to buy the lens next week and practice a bit...

Tokina AF 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 ATX Pro II. The best 3rd party lens you can get your hands on for weddings, etc. My workhorse lens when I use a F100. It's discontinued but you should be able to get it used for $400 (which is what I paid for mine 2 years ago).

Regards
CK

modenaslim said:
helping a fren to shoot a wedding end of this month...
Looking for a lens to use with F100 ( may be use with D70 in near future)
Can anyone advise me on what lens to buy...
budget is less than S$400 (2nd hand also can)

what i had in mind is
1)AFS24-85 f3.5-f4.5
2)
3)

What other lens is good and cheap leh??
Sigma leh??...

wish to buy the lens next week and practice a bit...

you can go with sigma 28mm-105mm f2.8, about $350/- new if i'm right. good enough to cover the whole wedding.
or the tamron 24mm-135mm, about $600/- new.....2nd hand at about $450/-.

This is a personal observation so should differ from your own.... the 28-70 tokina range is ok at the wide (although I note that the 28 there seems a little more than 28 when I compare against a fixe 28mm lens) its the 70 that may give you some grief. Its not enough of a tele to do decent half to head shoulder with out coming to about 4 feet of the subject then your a little too close for good flash work. I have the older version which I have retired from use in favour of a 28-85 afd nikon. I find the nikon unit a overall better performer than the tokina. If you go with the tokina check out the focusing speed - may be subjective but I find this acquires focus a touch slow for those people on the move shots.

The Tokina is a non afs lens which means should you need to micro adjust the focus point when you're on AF your done for.

The other zooms have longer reach than 70 but may have a larger lens and weight issue. If the 24-85afs does not have the same terrible distortion on the 28 size as the afd model than it should be good buy. But try it out before you put down the cash and try to testshoot before the wedding.

Status
Not open for further replies.