Looking for a Nikon DSLR that works with old lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wants2beLink

Nov 14, 2009
Well, topic basically. I bought an FM10 a few years ago as well as a few lenses for it and since it decided to break on me I decided to move on to a Digital camera. Does anyone know of any Nikon cameras that would work with the RMC Tokina 70-120mm lens, and the Nikon series E 50mm lens?

For FM10, the lenses you have must be either AI or AIs. They can all be mounted on any Nikon DSLR.

Using the consumer DSLRs (D40/x/50/60/70/80/90/3k/5k), the MF lenses will only work in 'M'anual mode. No metering, you'll need to set aperture from the aperture ring, and shutter speed using the camera dial.

On prosumer and pro bodies (D200, 300/s, 1/h/x, 2h/s/x/xs/ 3/x/s) you get metering in all modes. Shutter speed set using the dial, and choice of setting aperture using the aperture ring or camera dial.

Of course, no auto-focus at all using MF lenses.

On prosumer and pro bodies (D200, 300/s, 1/h/x, 2h/s/x/xs/ 3/x/s) you get metering in all modes. Shutter speed set using the dial, and choice of setting aperture using the aperture ring or camera dial.

Of course, no auto-focus at all using MF lenses.

Nope, I believe you only get metering on "A"perture priority and "M"anual mode, not "P"rogram mode and "S"hutter priority mode.

Actually, if you only have these 2 lenses, you might wanna just go for a lower end body like the D90 or even lower, depending on how much you want out of the camera.

download any user manual from one of those to read the official word

D200/D300/D300S/D700/D2/D2X/D3/D3X

Oh yes, thanks for correcting. Metering only for A and M modes on prosumer/pro bodies. Haven't touched one in months liao!

Nope, I believe you only get metering on "A"perture priority and "M"anual mode, not "P"rogram mode and "S"hutter priority mode.

Actually, if you only have these 2 lenses, you might wanna just go for a lower end body like the D90 or even lower, depending on how much you want out of the camera.

Well, topic basically. I bought an FM10 a few years ago as well as a few lenses for it and since it decided to break on me I decided to move on to a Digital camera. Does anyone know of any Nikon cameras that would work with the RMC Tokina 70-120mm lens, and the Nikon series E 50mm lens?

But are these 2 lenses so wonderful that it makes more sense to buy an advanced Nikon DSLR, rather than get a lower-end (and cheaper) model and forget about these lenses?

If you buy a D300/D700 over something like D80/90 or even D60/D3000/D5000, simply to make use of your old lenses, it doesn't make much sense to me.

Last edited:
Well, I've been asking around as well as posting here and from what I've gathered the D90 works with them so I plan on getting that. Thanks for the input guys, it's been really helpful.

Oh yes, thanks for correcting. Metering only for A and M modes on prosumer/pro bodies. Haven't touched one in months liao!

Haha! No worries!

Older manual focus lenses can mount on D90, but cannot meter, so you have to manually meter. If that's what you mean by "can work", then older lenses can work on D5000, D3000 also.

I'm lazy to meter manually, and I want to venture into prime lenses, but want it cheaper, so I got myself a D300. Haha! But that's a personal choice la... If only Nikon made a D90 or D5000-sized camera that can meter with AIS lenses... *dreams*

Status
Not open for further replies.