looking for a DSLR equal

Newphotographer2

Oct 29, 2011
Northampton
I am left handed and my right is very limited . At the moment i use a DSLR which was a xmas pressie .however DSLRs are desinged for right hand people . I have difficulty using it . So i am looking for a smaler camera & lighter that would be easier to use with the left . If i dont get a dslr would like it to have good picture quaity and use in manual mode .
Any help or ideas

All the mirrorless, high-end compact cameras, rx1, rx100, etc, come to mind.

Nobody here can tell you what will work best for you, it's better for you if you go to the shops, test some cameras and shortlist first. After you have the shortlist, Google for the reviews, then buy the one that works best for you.

I decided to go to my local camera shop tomorrow and have a poke around .

I am left handed and my right is very limited . At the moment i use a DSLR which was a xmas pressie .however DSLRs are desinged for right hand people . I have difficulty using it . So i am looking for a smaler camera & lighter that would be easier to use with the left . If i dont get a dslr would like it to have good picture quaity and use in manual mode .
Any help or ideas

Most, if not all, cameras are designed to use with right hand, at least for pressing the shutter release.

If ur difficulty is with weight, then of course the mirrorless systems comes to mind. But if ur difficulty is with right hand ergonomics, then there's really not much help. Maybe touchscreen and articulate screen helps?

Or simply just get used to right hand operations.

I am left handed and my right is very limited . ...... .however DSLRs are desinged for right hand people . I have difficulty using it .....

Don't understand why you got a problem.

The left hand supports the weight and focusing ring if you're in manual. This is the only thing that requires some dexterity. For a left hander, you're on home grounds.

The right hand only needs to press the shutter. For settings, index finger or thumb on the 4 way controller can't be that difficult.

Don't understand why you got a problem.

The left hand supports the weight and focusing ring if you're in manual. This is the only thing that requires some dexterity. For a left hander, you're on home grounds.

The right hand only needs to press the shutter. For settings, index finger or thumb on the 4 way controller can't be that difficult.

Can't agree more..

*I'm a left hander too. My only issue is the right thumb rubbing against my spectacles.

i'm a purely left handed and i prefer mirrorless instead of DSLR...since most of DSLR have dual control with right hand....
i think NIKON FF is more left handed friendly since they have some custom button on left side next to the lens...(i'm a Canon user and ex Sony mirrorless user)

*my 2 cents*

A Lytro camera may solve your problem. The shutter button is right in the middle, so it doesn't matter which hand you operate it with. But it is not a dslr or equivalent. A whole new world and perspective to experiment with though.

TS, maybe you can try out a model with touchscreen. Instead of using the shutter button, you can use the touchscreen to take the shot with either hand.

TS might be disabled with his right hand. Let us be more open on the solution rather than assuming. :)

You can buy a remote trigger!
Hold up your Dslr with your left hand and fire of your shots using your right hand. You don't even have to raise your hand. You can keep your hand in your pocket with your trigger!
Hope this helps!

You can buy a remote trigger!

Yeah. Mirrorless with a remote trigger + pistol grip.

Check out what this guy did: He got a remote trigger and worked it into a makeshift pistol grip:

[video=youtube;duCYVeG6fe4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duCYVeG6fe4[/video]

Video is fairly long. He describes what led him to figure something out (hand injury). You can see the actual gizmo starting from 5:30.

----------------

The other solution I've read about is to use a camera equipped with a battery grip upside down. Downside is you'll need to flip all your images in post, but it's a fairly simple thing with today's software (lightroom), you can set it to be done upon import by default. Plus, all the onscreen info will be upside down too. It would be cool if camera manufacturers allowed it to be flipped. A mirrorless camera that suits this might be the OMD-EM5.

LeftHand%20DSLR(1).jpg

via: http://raoulisidro.com/page12.htm

Last edited: