Looking for a decent phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartman2000

Dec 10, 2008
Pasir Ris
I used to have a Nokia 6120 Classic, which was an awesome phone that could be had for cheap.

Switched to the SE W980i on a whim, and have regretted ever since.

I am now considering the purchase of a smartphone.

1) HTC Hero
2) HTC Magic
3) Apple iPhone
4) Nokia 5530(to be released soon)

I'm mainly looking at the HTCs, as the iPhone is too expensive for me and the 5530 is mainly a music phone which I don't really desire. Wifi is a must.

I noticed both the Magic and the Hero have almost similar specs. Would like to get the opinions of HTC/Android interface users. Any issues with customer support or the operating system(bugs)?

Using Samsung Onmia II.... good OLED screen, with Window Mobile 6.x something. Light and easy to use. But touch screen no as good as iPhone. Can surf with WiFi or with GPRS.

But since I didn't own any other PDA phones before.... can't said is it better then those on your list :sweat:

For Smart phone you use two hands.. for simple phone you only need one hand to operate!

If your mobile phone bill is high, you might want to look to one special smartphone brand GEM Smart.
It makes outoing call just 5 cents[in sgp; and no air time charge]
to China is 6 cents; to Batam 12 cents [all no air time charge]
Window based.

I been using N95; then HTC; and Samsung i780 and now I am with Gem Smart.

Cheers

Let me tell you..

HTC have one problem, the messaging system is very strange.
It's like a conversation format and not a separated format for each sms.
HTC magic is NOT Microsoft OS.. It's a new OS.

If your thinking of Nokia, why not try the Nokia E-series?
It works like N-series but is much better than the N-series.

I've use E-51 and now E-75.
I'm very pleased with the E-series. :D

Let me tell you..

HTC have one problem, the messaging system is very strange.
It's like a conversation format and not a separated format for each sms.
HTC magic is NOT Microsoft OS.. It's a new OS.

If your thinking of Nokia, why not try the Nokia E-series?
It works like N-series but is much better than the N-series.

I've use E-51 and now E-75.
I'm very pleased with the E-series. :D

Yup. It's similar to Windows Mobile.

I know the E-series are good phones, especially the E71. However I would like to try out a touchscreen phone:)

stay away from the htc/android for the time being? i guess htc gonna roll out a better one since the magic/hero are like teaser for now.

try the nokia N86? or the N97?

is iphone that expensive? i think the 8GB iphone 3G is honestly going for a good price...

I wouldn't pay $549 for that phone. The 3Gs is too expensive at $798. So is the N97:think:

i don't think 8GB is 549.

sign an expensive plan... maybe a 50 bucks plan it should be 248 iirc... sorry if wrong.

Hmm. I wouldn't pay more than $300 for the phone and $30/month for a plan respectively.

Am now considering the Nokia 5530 due to its dirt cheap price(399 w/o line)

Hmm. I wouldn't pay more than $300 for the phone and $30/month for a plan respectively.

since you are cartman, you want one phone that kick ass.

saw one electronics store ad recently and both HTC TD and OmniaII were said to be free. not sure the monthly contract but worth a look. believe htc hero & magic are also available.

since iphone 3GS launch HTC price dropped significantly.

there are pros & cons with touchscreen. First con I realised was i don't find it wasy to write sms with one hand coz I cannot feel the (virtual) buttons anymore. the touchscreen is a grease magnet so if you are one of those who want a shiny clean phone, touchscreen may not be what you want.

tried N97 . it could be the test unit at the nokia showroom that was faulty or low on battery. somehow it crash and rebooted itself halfway. anyway i always wanted to try htc so I got my TD2 iso waiting for 3GS :)

Hey, Cartman2000. I don't know how you feel about Nokia. But I love it.
I have tried other brands but somehow, old habits die hard. Whatever it is that I will eventually want - touchscreen or keypad, I will always come back to Nokia.
It's very much like customer loyalty but in a inevitable sort of way, because I am so used to its mode of use. Nokia has my vote.

Hey, Cartman2000. I don't know how you feel about Nokia. But I love it.
I have tried other brands but somehow, old habits die hard. Whatever it is that I will eventually want - touchscreen or keypad, I will always come back to Nokia.
It's very much like customer loyalty but in a inevitable sort of way, because I am so used to its mode of use. Nokia has my vote.

Agreed. First 3 phones were Nokia, changed to Samsung when one died and didn't like it. Now I'm back to Nokia E63.

I have used Nokia my entire life if you don't count my current phone. In fact, I find SE and Nokia's S40/S60 interfaces okay. I am getting a new phone for the sake of Wireless LAN support since the W980i doesn't do it, for some reason.

Hmm, I just found a Nokia N78 at home. Think it was a lucky draw prize or something. Guess I'll use it for the time being until I am blessed with a sudden windfall. Thanks for all the replies:)

Agreed. First 3 phones were Nokia, changed to Samsung when one died and didn't like it. Now I'm back to Nokia E63.

Haha... Zexun. you are wonderful. You are a classic example of a die-hard Nokia fan.
I started using Singtel's Pagerphone when it first started in 1993 as an undergraduate about to take my final exam. I am sure people can still remember these slim phones that are hybrids of a pager and a phone that you can only call when you are within the range of a 'Call Zone'. I subsequently did several models of Ericsson in the mid nineties when I started work. Those days Nokia was a new comer in the market dominated by Ericsson. But later Nokia's innovative style captured great market share, together with me along.
I had a brief affair with O2. But dropped it not long after.
Until today, I still use the Nokia Communicator (two versions bought in 2003 & 2004) which is the one and only h/p that can send and receive fax.
My other concurrent one is Nokia E71.

Cartman2000, don't mean to OT. I am just illustrating the very interesting phenomena of customer habits. It takes a little to change these habits (changing brands with apparent new functions), but it takes a lot to keep these habits going (customer loyalty towards one brand). Well, these are my opinions.

SonyEricsson X2, or the Android-based X5. Or the Setio. :D

I have used Nokia my entire life if you don't count my current phone. In fact, I find SE and Nokia's S40/S60 interfaces okay. I am getting a new phone for the sake of Wireless LAN support since the W980i doesn't do it, for some reason.

Hmm, I just found a Nokia N78 at home. Think it was a lucky draw prize or something. Guess I'll use it for the time being until I am blessed with a sudden windfall. Thanks for all the replies:)

Hehehe... good for you.
So you are also like us, 'using Nokia you entire life'.
I have, through design or coercion (whichever), passed this Nokia lifestyle (?imposed) to my two old parents, all my children, and everyone at home.
Therefore, nowadays there is a Nokia monopoly at home.
Just like Canon is the only brand of camera for myself and all members of my family. Haha... terrible! These customer loyalty thingy...

Haha... Zexun. you are wonderful. You are a classic example of a die-hard Nokia fan.
I started using Singtel's Pagerphone when it first started in 1993 as an undergraduate about to take my final exam. I am sure people can still remember these slim phones that are hybrids of a pager and a phone that you can only call when you are within the range of a 'Call Zone'. I subsequently did several models of Ericsson in the mid nineties when I started work. Those days Nokia was a new comer in the market dominated by Ericsson. But later Nokia's innovative style captured great market share, together with me along.
I had a brief affair with O2. But dropped it not long after.
Until today, I still use the Nokia Communicator (two versions bought in 2003 & 2004) which is the one and only h/p that can send and receive fax.
My other concurrent one is Nokia E71.

Cartman2000, don't mean to OT. I am just illustrating the very interesting phenomena of customer habits. It takes a little to change these habits (changing brands with apparent new functions), but it takes a lot to keep these habits going (customer loyalty towards one brand). Well, these are my opinions.

Well, I have always liked Nokia:)

Its UI for the S40 series is by far the easiest to operate, IMO.

Hehehe... good for you.
So you are also like us, 'using Nokia you entire life'.
I have, through design or coercion (whichever), passed this Nokia lifestyle (?imposed) to my two old parents, all my children, and everyone at home.
Therefore, nowadays there is a Nokia monopoly at home.
Just like Canon is the only brand of camera for myself and all members of my family. Haha... terrible! These customer loyalty thingy...

I just wish that we customers would get rewarded for our loyalty too.

My entire family has been subscribing to Singtel since the age of the pagers. That's about..15 years? We use their Internet services too. Recently I called customer service up to request for a cash voucher which can be used while purchasing mobile equipment. $40, take it or leave it.

Heard from Starhub users that they used to give away LCD TVs to customers that subscribe to all 3 of their services(broadband, cable and mobile)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.