Looking for A Budding Video Cameramen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meower

Dec 7, 2003
Visit site
Hello,

I'm looking for any good video hobbyists or semi pros who can help me shoot some videos for my upcoming website. I'm not looking for a wedding photographer. This is more of a short montage for the flash intro for my site. So various angles, effects, choreographing as to be considered as well. It is not just a recording of what is happening. So the work has to be rather good. I will allow any of the materials taken to be added to your portfolio if you want. Just a weekend activity for you. Anyone interested? PM me or email at meower84@hotmail.com!! Thanks!

email to you!

i see talent exploitation.

dude, whatever we take, be it video or photos, is OUR OWN property. not something u choose to let us keep. and since it's a partially advertising site, the videographer gets no piece of the pie too? other that the so called 'bonus' of letting him/her keep the work as part of his/her portfolio? :nono:

Please do not take this as a talent exploitation. You have every right not to take it up. It has been discussed in great detail from my other thread in consumers and services and it has been concluded under Singapore law the employer owns the rights to the work and NOT the videographer or photographer. I do not want my thread to end up in another out of control argument of whether this is true or not, so please, no such posts here pls. That is besides the point. I am offering this as an exchange for your good service in exchange for any experience you may gain from this. I am a part time magician, and my requirements will be different from those by models or newly weds, mainly in the lighting, the mood (very important), the angles etc. It can be a good experience for any budding talents.

Clown said:
i see talent exploitation.

dude, whatever we take, be it video or photos, is OUR OWN property. not something u choose to let us keep. and since it's a partially advertising site, the videographer gets no piece of the pie too? other that the so called 'bonus' of letting him/her keep the work as part of his/her portfolio? :nono:

Meower said:
Please do not take this as a talent exploitation. You have every right not to take it up. It has been discussed in great detail from my other thread in consumers and services and it has been concluded under Singapore law the employer owns the rights to the work and NOT the videographer or photographer. I do not want my thread to end up in another out of control argument of whether this is true or not, so please, no such posts here pls. That is besides the point. I am offering this as an exchange for your good service in exchange for any experience you may gain from this. I am a part time magician, and my requirements will be different from those by models or newly weds, mainly in the lighting, the mood (very important), the angles etc. It can be a good experience for any budding talents.

ok.. shall not post anymore after this, but as u have said, the word there is EMPLOYER. thus an agreement/contract and money is no doubt involved. the ownership of the end products will be in the form of a signed agreement by both parties. and not all the time will copyright ownership be totally given to the employer.
anyway, i hope in then end u'll appreciate the efforts of your videographer with some angpaos lah.. after all, media, transport, and batteries cost money too. ;)

Meower said:

Hello .... Your image belongs to you, the picture or flim belongs to the photographer and videographer, ie. If the videographer do not allow you to use the items you can't use it, likewise, if you do not allow the videographer to use your image, they can't use it either.

Moreover, "employer" is define as a person who provide "Monetory or benefits of kind". Will you be paying anything to the Videographer or Photographer? If you do then you are classified as an Employer and at the same time, the terms of contract has to be melted out. If you do not intend to pay anything, aka free service, you cannot be classified as an employer, just a requester, it's up to the videographer / photographer goodwill if he/she wishes to handover the tapes / pictures to you or if he/she even bothers to go down to take your pictures / video last minute. If he/she don't wish to handover the items or don't wish to go down to take your pictures/video, you can't do anything either, You cannot sue them for bleaching of contract, not contract has been melted out in the first please. He/she can choose to destory the works he/she if he/she desired, as the copyright for the works belongs to him/her. You own the copyright for your own image, and you don't pay benefits of any kind.

Even Charity Organisation wants you to sign a contract before you are allowed to take pictures of their events, not to mention your's a money making "business".

Oh .... I remember I was in that heated discussion you were talking about, right?

blurblock said:
Oh .... I remember I was in that heated discussion you were talking about, right?

Haha yeah you were. Was surprised such an argument between so many members surfaced in my thread. Heh! Anyway I will pay a minimal sum of money, just to cover transport, battery charges, additional equipment etc but I can't afford a professional price. That is the reason why I'm posting this request here instead of flipping through the classifieds or yellow pages. Hope someone can come forward to help! Thanks a lot! It can be a good experience for you guys too! :embrass:

You pay peanuts... you're really going to get monkeys...

AS I have stated earlier, much as I want to pay for a full time professional who can do a really great job, I can't, due to budget constrains. I'm just starting out myself. So please don't be bitter about the money, if you think this is below you, just ignore this request and move on with your professional lives. THank you.

Meower said:
AS I have stated earlier, much as I want to pay for a full time professional who can do a really great job, I can't, due to budget constrains. I'm just starting out myself. So please don't be bitter about the money, if you think this is below you, just ignore this request and move on with your professional lives. THank you.

send you pm and email, but you never reply?

Everyone,

Whether this is a form of exploitation, it's up to the Meower and the other party to decide whether they agree to the terms. There are bound to have someone who is willing to do it as part of their learning experience. I think Meower has stated clearly from thr beginning that he/she has a budget.

Morever, Meower is willing to bear all the expenses. I think sometimes when someone is looking for help, you should help them lah. Soft heart I maybe but as long as Meower and the person he engaged agree on the conditions they set, I think everyone will be happy.

It may look like an exploitation to some but until you meet Meower, we should keep our minds open. I think Meower is glad too that there are some experts in employment law. Meower would not want just simply anyhow just call any Tom, Dick or Harry to shoot his/her magic show.

I think there are some photographers/videographers craving to upgrade their folio. What better way than to do something which you can learn and upgrade your skills. When we go to colleges or universities, we need to pay. So now we need not pay and still able to learn and upgrade both your skills, talent and folio.

I am not helping anybody here but just like to let everyone know that sometime good deeds is a blessing in diguise. For me I like to help people but it's a pity i am not a videographer. I do not do jobs for free either. It really depends on how you assess the situation on each job. If it's towards your advantage, grab it!

I remember helping a friend once to shoot a function for free but they paid for the films and processing. While shooting, I was introduce by my friend to some of his collegues. At the end of the day, they called me up to do some photoshoots for them. This time is paid job and it's COD as well.

So sometimes doing jobs for free is ok but I must stress that it should not be a common practice to all Photographers amd Videographers out there.

Anyway, this is just my opinion. Hope I have not step on anybody. Well if I did, I apologise for being myself lah! :bsmilie:

Moewer, hope you can find what you want lah! :sweat:

Thank you!

Thanks for these kinds words. I will be more than willing to pay for a good quality work if I can afford it. I am not looking for cheap labour or exploit good intentions but rather for quality work and people with the true love for this art. It saddens me that so many people are viewing things only in terms of money, no money no talk. There are so many rewards in this world besides money. Even the passion for your hobby is a reward by itself. I know, because I derive the same thing for my hobby, magic. I've done countless free shows myself, both for friends and charity. I did not gain any monetary benefits (even incurred losses), but I treasure the experience.

I just came back from a photoshoot, from someone I found here as well. He charged me almost nothing at all, but he did a really professional job, no slacking, no grumbling about the time and effort taken. He did it out of his love for photography.

Sadly, his passion only lies in photography. I hope to someone like him in the video world. Any offers?

Hi Meower,

I think to find a videographer is more difficult than a photographer as it involves more work than just taking a photo. Besides shooting, I think he needs to edit, cut and paste every frame. So maybe you can specify a little more in details what you are looking for in the video. How long is the duration, do you need any lighting and some other minor details you might to look into further.

I have tried my hands on on video when i was in the States studying a minor in Videography. I can tell you that it takes just few hours to shoot but a few weeks to edit a 15 minutes documentary. So I know what that is like. Even with the computers we have today which we can edit video, it will still take a very long long time.

As you know times are still not as good as before. So not to blame those not willing to do. Any guys willing to help out. Maybe you can PM Meower for more details?

Godzilla Invades said:
Hi Meower,

So maybe you can specify a little more in details what you are looking for in the video. How long is the duration, do you need any lighting and some other minor details you might to look into further.

I will be taking a short clip of maybe 3-4 mins of a montage of various moves and effects. It is basically an introduction of myself. Special effects may be needed so lighting will be required, but most of the stuff will be taken out of a studio.

ANyone willing to take up this offer?

I think if you genuinely wanted someone to help you, there should be no problem. But I think you step to too many peoples' toes when you pharse your sentence in such a matter you "graciously" give them "permission" to use the photograph / Video they had taken. In their view, which is not neccassary wrong as you are technically not an employer, you are trying to tell them you give them what is orginally theirs. I think you will be pissed off when you invented a magic trick and someone asked you to teach them that trick for free and tell you he "graciously" give you "permission" to use the trick.

There are definately people out there that is willing to help, look at YMCA or Bishan's ad when they wanted photographers, people are pouring to help for free, so much so the organisers actually got to choose which photographers can join the event. But in your case, your sentences pisses most professional photographers off.

Yup I've replied him. THanks!

Pro Image said:
Hi Meower did you check your PM? andi1704 have sent a personnal message to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.