Looking for a better zoom

Status
Not open for further replies.

alieniverson79

Sep 14, 2008
Tessensohn
Hello...Need some opinions from all the fellow CS ppl...

I currently owned one Canon 1000D and one Tamron 17-50 F2.8. I am now thinking of getting a zoom lens to take candid shots or portraits...etc. I am looking at these 3 lens.

1. Canon 70-200 F/4
2. Sigma 50-150 F2.8
3. Tokina 50-135 F2.8

Can I seek your expert opinions these 3 lens will much suited for me? Thanks.

If you post three t-shirts that you want to buy, or three pairs of shoes that you want to buy and ask us which will be more suited for you, the answer is most probably "how should we know?" Another analogy I can think of is putting the names of three ladies, and asking which is most suited for you to marry.

Take the same thing and apply it for lenses. You are going to be the user of this new lens, so at the end of the day, no one here will know which is more suitable for you. Get what I'm driving at? You need to know what situation you will be using the lens under, because we may all use any of the three lenses you have listed, for all purposes, that may even differ from your usage. Person A says the first lens is good, person B says the second one is the best he's ever used, and person C says the third lens is built like a tank, and you are none the wiser.

My suggestion is go out and find a way to try all these lenses; go to a reputable shop, get your hands on and try. Some shops won't mind you bringing it around the shop to shoot, and that will pretty much give you a feel of shooting indoors, under not-so-good light. If that is one of your applications, you will find the answer to which is less/more suited for that application, and so forth.

How is the 17-50 limiting you? What are you looking out for specifically, cost, IQ, weight, etc?

Thanks for the swift replies. Guess i got just schooled for posting questions on this forum (newbies).

Status
Not open for further replies.