Looking for a backpack

Shahmatt

Apr 29, 2008
Singapore
www.snapshotbasket.com
I'm looking for a backpack - medium sized for everyday office and walking around. The main thing is I want a cushioned side pocket to put my Samsung NX10 + 30mm lens.

Normal camera bags have a lot of padding for packing many lenses - this is not necessary. The alternative is laptop bags but these are too expensive and again unnecessary padding . I'm looking for a standard backpack but with a padded pocket on the side where I can put a P&S sized camera. Can anyone recommend me a model to look at?

I'm looking for a backpack - medium sized for everyday office and walking around. The main thing is I want a cushioned side pocket to put my Samsung NX10 + 30mm lens.

Normal camera bags have a lot of padding for packing many lenses - this is not necessary. The alternative is laptop bags but these are too expensive and again unnecessary padding . I'm looking for a standard backpack but with a padded pocket on the side where I can put a P&S sized camera. Can anyone recommend me a model to look at?

Nth i can think of..

My advice is to head down to Tk Foto at funan and Cathay Photo at penisula plaza (both near to each other) to have a look and see whether any meet ur needs.

Both have the largest collection of camera bags in town.

You might wanna consider the Lowepro Fastpack 250 or 350.It can store your gears at the lower compartment and personal items(Charger/Extra shirt/etc...)at the top compartment and has a compartment for laptop too:)

You might wanna consider the Lowepro Fastpack 250 or 350.It can store your gears at the lower compartment and personal items(Charger/Extra shirt/etc...)at the top compartment and has a compartment for laptop too:)

I looked it up. This is the kind of bag I want to avoid actually. The camera I carry is very small - P&S sized. I do not need lens compartments since I am not carrying any lenses. I just need space for a couple of files and maybe a small book.

So I'm looking for a regular (non-camera) backpack but with a protected side pocket. Somehow even though it's ridiculous, something like this seems really difficult to find. Camera bag manufacturers do too much and regular bag manufacturers do far too little.

Last edited:
Nth i can think of..

My advice is to head down to Tk Foto at funan and Cathay Photo at penisula plaza (both near to each other) to have a look and see whether any meet ur needs.

Both have the largest collection of camera bags in town.

Cathay Photo has the usual suspects - lowerpro etc. which as I say is over the top.
I will try Tk foto.

seriously, if your main purpose is to carry files and book, then it will be easier to find a suitable normal bag pack then cushion the side pocket with some form of padding... Something like these:
http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct.html?tablename=domke&itemnum=722-11G
http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct.html?tablename=domke&itemnum=720-2JP

something along the line of DIY lah....

Thanks for the links. Yes at present I am DIY'ing the need. But it would be nice to find a bag with a dedicated pocket for the job.

the sweat created from a backpack alone can be cumbersome but then again there is the problem of burdening one shoulder with a shoulder sling bag

get a backpack, and get an insert.

or get a neoprene wrap.

If it is just 2 lens .. one attached and one other... you can consider using neoprene soft case....

i've read somewhere that camera bag are more difficult to chose than the camera or lens it self... :sweat:

Yes it looks as though is this the only real option. Now to find an insert.

go orient photo, and ask for it. they should have bagman ones, not horrible, and relatively cheap.

alternatively, almost every brand makes inserts, i think.

but inserts are inserts, they're just padded thingies, so i won't pay too much for them!

go orient photo, and ask for it. they should have bagman ones, not horrible, and relatively cheap.

alternatively, almost every brand makes inserts, i think.

but inserts are inserts, they're just padded thingies, so i won't pay too much for them!

All right, so around 5 to 10 dollars maximum?

1. any usual deuter (spelling?) bag with those side pockets or nets.
2. get a padded pouch and put it into the pocket. (caselogic funan got some unusual picks) or one of those neropene thinga-m-jingys.
3. hook/sew/carribina/safetypin.
4. ????
5. PROFIT!

Last edited:
where to find inserts?