Looking for 70s 80s items

Status
Not open for further replies.

takeshi.lum

Jun 20, 2007
Hi,

I am trying to gather some 70s 80s items for an album documenting Singapore's past. I have been to Sungei Road to search for some but it seems so endless. There are so many items that I wish to own but I have limited budget. Things like the 1st generation pager and mobile phone (the water bottle or 大哥大), ring dial land phone, SLR, NS Booklet, Enlistment Letter (from 70s-90s), etc.

If you happened to have these items and you are willing to lend them for awhile, please give me a PM. I would appreciate it very much. After the shoot, I will return you the item and with a print as well. :D

Please help me with documenting Singapore's past, I realise it is very difficult to do this because everything is advancing so fast. Let's get back some of our young childhood/adulthood.

Thanks!

Last edited:
anyone can help me?

DSC_0369.jpg

i feel that this is still not nice and attractive enough.

can i ask how do i arrange the items so it will give the vintage feel? or have a better image composition.

DSC_0369.jpg

i feel that this is still not nice and attractive enough.

can i ask how do i arrange the items so it will give the vintage feel? or have a better image composition.

Spread the 4 cards neatly in a row (think poker cards), and then in another row, the bank booklets.

Spread the 4 cards neatly in a row (think poker cards), and then in another row, the bank booklets.

:think: dun it look abit plain n bored? tried it out before but i kind of dun like. :confused:

:think: dun it look abit plain n bored? tried it out before but i kind of dun like. :confused:

You might be right-- can try putting those pink Chinese cloths similar to the ones used in restaurants below to give it a nostalgic feeling, and add some bounced flash (upwards).

Its not for cataloging purposes right? So I feel there not need to arrange things neatly per se.

As for ideas on composition, I suppose you can simple google for images of e.g. credit cards and see what comes up that would work for you.

Maybe consider playing around to replicate different forms of film?

Last edited:
Its not for cataloging purposes right? So I feel there not need to arrange things neatly per se.

As for ideas on composition, I suppose you can simple google for images of e.g. credit cards and see what comes up that would work for you.

Maybe consider playing around to replicate different forms of film?

nope. its not for cataloging. its for my personal collection of Singapore's past.

i dunoe wat r the keywords to google cos some gives alot pics that are not useful.

Shoot individual close up shot with wide aperture. Can show the texture of these old items.

i wanna show the difference in all the passbooks, as in the transition frm the plain blue ones to those current ones.

i've a color tv from 1982 :eek:

can arrange for me to take a photo of it?

You might be right-- can try putting those pink Chinese cloths similar to the ones used in restaurants below to give it a nostalgic feeling, and add some bounced flash (upwards).

maybe i need to see if my ex-boss is willing to part with 1 of his table cloths =X

DSC_0357EDIT.jpg

DSC_0358EDIT.jpg

how abt the composition of these 2?

Okay for documentation purposes ba, but lighting is flat.

how abt using the built in flash? i dun hav a flash unit.

i hav used masking tapes to paste over. 3 layers.

how about a nice white background or a 70s or 80s kind of bg
and if you don't have the light, use sunlight and/or a light tent

Actually, this could be a very interesting project if you set the appropriate tone and mood for the shot.

Think 'nostalgia', then look to see what you can hammer up together for an appropriate backdrop.

No need to go into complicated flash photography - just use side-window lighting and a large piece of white cardboard to reflect light back into the shadow area.

Not exactly 70s, but look carefully from the start till about 8.5 sec of this video for an idea:

[vid]d5Tzs3SPCNg&feature=related[/vid]

no matter how many piece of tissue paper, toilet paper stick to the build in flash, it is still frontal lighting, flat and less interesting.

for more interesting lighting, make the lighting come from the side, can do like Mr Ortega suggests, Sun light, my preference is window light.

no matter how many piece of tissue paper, toilet paper stick to the build in flash, it is still frontal lighting, flat and less interesting.

for more interesting lighting, make the lighting come from the side, can do like Mr Ortega suggests, Sun light, my preference is window light.

Hehehehe ... that's what I just suggested Ben! :bsmilie::cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.