Looking at freedom...

tzufli

Mar 6, 2012
1.In what area is critique to be sought?
Composition, Light Balance, where your eyes focus on the shot

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
a piece of art that sparks a feeling

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
4-5 pm on a beach with bad overblown skyes.... i started thinking about a hdr moment but even after processing it just didnt'e seem interesting at all.... but going to black and white from hdr...
even though it defeats the porpouse of hdr ... managed to get more information in the sky than i could of going to black and white from one of the exposures...
I am a fan of water sports so for me it gives a sense of freedom ...

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
My first time posting pictures online for people to CC ... I am curious seeing other opinions other than my friends.

Additional Info:
Camera Canon 7d
Canon Lens L 17-40mm
Focal Length 17 mm
ISO Speed 100

daredevil123

Staff member
Oct 25, 2005
lil red dot
I do not really understand your title, "Looking at freedom" and how it relates to your picture.

In most pictures, placing the point of interest in dead centre is usually not the best way to frame things. And the boat on the left of the jetty is really a distraction.

I would hesitate to call this art. You need to understand what is artistic vision. Having that final image in your mind before you hit the shutter button. From your own description, this picture seems to be the result of a chain of "this doesn't work, so lets try this PP method to make something out of this picture".

foxtwo

Mar 11, 2004
singapore
Your piece is similar to a previous member's work, http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/critique-corner/1053381-sungei-bishan.html. Read what I wrote there regarding how to express emotions in landscapes. In your image, it would look much better if a human figure (silhouette) was at the far side, maybe even in the midst of jumping off. If freedom is what you want to portray.

Composition wise there is perhaps too much emphasis on the foreground, and not enough negative space at the top. The first log is a bit too in your face for my casual liking. Unless there is a hidden meaning or subconscious significance behind it? Something like being supremely stuck at where you are (foreground), and not being able to be at the end (far side)? Maybe it was just a coincidence or that this decision spoke to you in some incomprehensible manner. Whichever the case, the important issue is to have a strong concept so that upon execution you can concentrate on the techniques, and having a final result that most (if not all) of your targeted audience will be able to resonate to.

I would clone away the boat, there's enough 'water' material to work with. Use the pen tool to path along the vertical logs, they're dark and small enough that you don't need 100% accuracy. I would try to bring more detail back into the vertical logs as well, the first 3-4.

Cheers & see you here again soon!

Last edited:

foxtwo

Mar 11, 2004
singapore
I've had a further thought regarding the concept <=> composition. Your focus point and DOF dictates what the subject is and what is important. If you want to say you're 'here' and not 'there', then placing focus point at the first few logs with a large aperture to 'blur' out the far end would serve to help say, this is where you are. A slightly blurry or dreamy vision is also a popular method to express a fantasy, or imagination. This would work less well with a mid-high viewpoint, so your current low viewpoint will work well to place emphasis on the 'here'.

Food for thought.

Top Bottom