Look into my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

magiklamp

Feb 7, 2009
magiklamp.blogspot.com
3394906698_87a5065f1a_o.jpg

Hi all,

This is a casual picture I took on my dog after many attempts of taking pictures of the dog. It was never easy to engage the dog and stay in the posture for even seconds. Therefore, I only took the picture by chance which I think I managed to capture the expression of the dog in split second. For post editing, I had slightly under expose the picture. Details of the original picture are:
Exposure: 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture: f/4.2
Focal Length: 72 mm
ISO speed: 800
Camera: Nikon D40

Critique is sought on the composition, exposure and the post editing of the picture. It will be also good to hear from all on techniques to take pictures of moving objects as I usually use auto mode to do the job. Thanks.

Hi magiklamp, I think it looks just fine. You filled the frame nicely with the subject looking at the camera and placed not too centrally. Exposure and sharpness is about there too. Great intimate shot of your dog.

For more predictable results you can consider using aperture priority or manual mode and set a small f-number so that lower ISOs can be used for faster shutter speeds. A faster shutter speed is something very much needed to freeze moving subjects. If you rely on Auto mode you let the camera do the thinking, which may not be able to anticipate what you want at times.

By looking at the subject, I would try to bring out the "eyes"... which in this case, only its right eye is catchy. But a nice use of natural light to give a 3D feeling...

For me, I would also prefer a tighter crop because I saw some empty space on the right. The it would bring the "eye" more towards right, instead of too center IMHO.

Hi all,

This is a casual picture I took on my dog after many attempts of taking pictures of the dog. It was never easy to engage the dog and stay in the posture for even seconds. Therefore, I only took the picture by chance which I think I managed to capture the expression of the dog in split second. For post editing, I had slightly under expose the picture. Details of the original picture are:

Critique is sought on the composition, exposure and the post editing of the picture. It will be also good to hear from all on techniques to take pictures of moving objects as I usually use auto mode to do the job. Thanks.

nice shot if u ask me! he looks emo :) anw i always had hard time taking nice pics of my dogs. hahaha. what is this breed called again.. king charles spaniel is it?

My attention keeps on wandering from those soulful eyes to the distracting red pillow on the left. Pity....

Hi all,
Thanks for taking your time to give comments.
redtealongan: thanks for the compliment and sharing your experience in catching moving objects.
szeping, cy_j: I will definitely try to crop the picture to remove the red pillow and see how it looks like.
cherly852: This breed is called Cavelier King Charles Spaniel (CKCS). Wat a mouthful of words. :)

Very nice capture here;)
He's looking at you with those soulful eyes. Face was sharp and blurred the rest, also not unnecessarily cropping off any parts of the subject:D:thumbsup:

Cute....

The red "patch" is distracting, otherwise I think is a pretty nice shot... keep going... :)

nice work on this, i like the eye contact, and there is nothing much to complain about.

you can try using the sponge tool or layers to selectively desaturate the red patch, just a wee bit will do, overdo it and it will stick out by being absolutely colorless. :)

Hi,

I find it a rather good photo of your dog,

The King Charles have quite different eyes to most dogs and both left and right never look the same :bsmilie:

I tended to look at the dog in the face in this picture, and, quite honestly didn't notice the red cushion (or what ever)
till I read viewers remarks and re looked for it.

To some, things are critical (as the forum is named) and to others they just see the best part.

Yes, a tighter crop would help for mass appeal of an already good photo ... not too tight.

Cheers :)

3426672496_af028893fc_o.jpg

Hi all,

Thanks for the compliments. Here you are the cropped version. Not too sure if I still prefer the uncropped version. What do you guys think?

I have to agree that I did not realise the red cushion too before the comments made. Probably too mesmerised by the look as if the dog is trying to tell something.

Cheers.

Hi all,

I thought you want to sell your dog.After reading all these infor which you've post and I found that you want to have fun with your camera.

Anyway.Nice shot.Well done.;)

Hi,

Here is my try at the crop.

Your_Pal.jpg

Hope this ok by you.

I will remove it from my gallery in a couple of days if ok (it is not my photo).

Cheers :)

hello.
i think it's a lovely photo but I would personally have shot it in black and white instead.
I think the composition is fine and I wouldn't have cropped it.

Here's what I picture.
dog.jpg

I converted it to black and white and gave it soft blur.
I hope it's alright I used this. I'll remove it if you'd like me to.

By the way, it's an adorable dog.

Hi Joanne,
Thanks for the suggestion and compliment on the dog. I have never thought of using black & white. Visually, I think the white part is a bit too 'loud' for me (over expose). But, unexpectedly the focus is much obvious on the face.

Cheers.

Very nice!!! Inspired to take some photos of my friend's doggie after seeing ur photo!

Your welcome.
I do agree about the white being a little loud. But that can always be fixed with a little help from my best friend, photoshop.
Hope it helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.