Longing, and waiting.

Linerax

Nov 19, 2009
This critique thread will be a little different from the others, since I'll be having two photos up for critique in this thread, to serve as a comparison.

Comparison for critiques as follow:

Waiting. by Linerax, on Flickr

compared with

Longing. by Linerax, on Flickr

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
  • Which achieves a better effect in terms of "solitude" I wish to portray?
  • Is the cross-process effect done too strong, too "photoshopped?"
  • How is the black and white?
  • Composition wise, position of the person and the background. How can they be improved?

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
  • As mentioned above, a feeling of "solitude" and also "longing".

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
  • I don't think is necessary.. :think:

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.
  • I personally prefer the black and white version of the photo, since it tends to bring out the theme "solitude" more, however I've received comments such as weird hair and also weird facial shape from different individuals who preferred the cross-processed version.

You may now unleash your fury upon this little kid here. :sweat:

hmmm.... my first take was to go with the B&W version too..... it then struck me that the blowing hair seemed to detract from from your solitude theme ...... so I'll go with the color version with the skyward look (for answers?)

its just the picky little urchin in me.....

-the casually hunched back, the hair-over-eye and the different handclasp on the color version worked well too to the 'longing' theme while showing some face, yet preserved the subject's anonymity.

I can see what you're trying to do with the dodging of the top corners..... pity it didnt come off too well (for me) .....nvm try again .... use Layers or be there again :)

Last edited:
personally, i dun support the use of vignetting at the last image. perhaps over done...

and perhaps its nicer to see a lil more of the model's face. half of it might be good.

just my own nit picking, dun mind me:)

hmmm.... my first take was to go with the B&W version too..... it then struck me that the blowing hair seemed to detract from from your solitude theme ...... so I'll go with the color version with the skyward look (for answers?)

its just the picky little urchin in me.....

-the casually hunched back, the hair-over-eye and the different handclasp on the color version worked well too to the 'longing' theme while showing some face, yet preserved the subject's anonymity.

I can see what you're trying to do with the dodging of the top corners..... pity it didnt come off too well (for me) .....nvm try again .... use Layers or be there again
I don't know much, but whenever I imagine someone walking alone, there's always this image of a strong wind blowing her hair and she's just all.. alone.

Glad the pictures could portray the theme though! Anonymity is something I like a lot personally, so thanks for your kind words. :p

Seeing the comments made by you guys, I guess the vignetting is overdone.

We all have different perceptions of what each word means, and maybe a teenager's one is always the more dramatic one, I'll remember your critique! :bsmilie:
personally, i dun support the use of vignetting at the last image. perhaps over done...

and perhaps its nicer to see a lil more of the model's face. half of it might be good.

just my own nit picking, dun mind me:)

Yup! The vignetting is overdone, something I realized only after it was mentioned.

Nah, I wouldn't mind your nit-picking if all it does is to bring me a step higher in photography.

Thanks to both for your comments! They're greatly appreciated. :D

Since school is starting, I might not be able to reply posts soon, so please keep your comments coming and I'll check back whenever possible! :p