Long lenses in public places...

Status
Not open for further replies.

agape01

Feb 13, 2003
Somewhere Out There
Visit site
Not sure whether has this perception been discussed in the forum yet...

Other than using really long and large photography lenses for the pupose of shooting sports and birds, does anyone think that there will be a problem if the police catches you with one for public events?

Taking into account that you are not the official photographer or press photographer.

I am aware that in some countries like the US, it might be considered as a terrorist act with the reason of attaining information on government buildings even if the images are for your own personal use.

I am merely wondering...

Wah, on the other hand, if someone using a super wide angle to take arial shot of the city, would that be worse...
I am also wondering...

agape01 said:

Other than using really long and large photography lenses for the pupose of shooting sports and birds, does anyone think that there will be a problem if the police catches you with one for public events?

Taking into account that you are not the official photographer or press photographer.

I am aware that in some countries like the US, it might be considered as a terrorist act with the reason of attaining information on government buildings even if the images are for your own personal use.

I am merely wondering...
Wah, like that how? Spend thousands of dollars, buy an AFS VR 300 f2.8, still must explain to the police when we want to use it? Although I don't have one, but, jia lat hor ...

Astin said:
Wah, on the other hand, if someone using a super wide angle to take arial shot of the city, would that be worse...
I am also wondering...

It has happened to a long time professional photographer. It didn't surprise me that he was put into panic mode for a period of time, but the bottom line is this.

In this age of terrorist threats, what can be considered by something trival by one party but something dangerous by another.

Astin said:
I am also wondering...

wider than Google Earth? :sweat:

Honestly, stopping people with cameras in public does nothing or very little to increase security.

It's a measure that is used to calm the masses, to show that something is being done about the situation. Nothing more, nothing less.

A persistant and well-organised terrorist will have very good plans in place that probably doesn't require someone to blindly take photographs of a public place, which everyone can see for themselves. If they are not well-organised and our intelligence agencies still cannot stop them then I have nothing to say.

Singapore is a tourist destination. Are we going to stop all tourists with a handycam from filming these places? Are we going to tell all of them to erase their tape/memory card/film on the spot?

I appreciate the people in charge are trying to do their jobs but sometimes I wonder if any common sense has been applied to it.

LazerLordz said:
common sense thrown down the drain..
If they had any, it won't be called Singapore.

Wayang y'know? :bsmilie:

Still remember I was carrying a 300 f/2.8 + D1H, 2 years ago in Sungei Buloh, one little girl commented, "wah, very big", now I think the little girl would go "mommy, terrorist!!!" :bsmilie:

should all mobilephone with camera ban here? how abouut banning all mobilephone as it can trigger bomb? ....:sweat:

Like how they stop people photographing buildings?

Anyone can take pics from far, especially of tall office buildings.

Like stopping people for taking pics of Millenia Tower and Esplanade?
They are landmarks. There are thousands of pictures of them on internet.

agape01 said:

I am merely wondering...

Its not a crime to bring cameras in public, let alone expensive DSLRs and quality lenses. Haha. Just bring along your NRIC. Or better yet, wear a clubsnap tshirt. Be prepared to say "I'm from clubsnap you know. Quality photos. Everytime."

hee

engowen said:
should all mobilephone with camera ban here? how abouut banning all mobilephone as it can trigger bomb? ....:sweat:
Please do, then I don't have to find a non-camera phone to use temporarily while I go back for reservist, it's a chore to go back camp, and they want to contact you using your handphone and you can't bring it in because of a blardy camera on it.

Why can't they have phones without camera :rolleyes:

Something like this?
-
Zenit_Fs-122_b-jpegnn.jpg

Astin said:
I am also wondering...

what about using macro lens for up close and personnal view of the pillers and columns?:think:

well,

so long as we are law abiding citizens, th epolice and th e guards will respect our rights as artistic photographers.

but taking into account current security measures taken by Singapore for certain zones, there is aneed for photographers to observe this rule.

well, carrying around big gun-cameras will raise eyebrows.
so just watch where you aim that lens and if in doubt itz always better to ask permission.:)

john

espn said:
If they had any, it won't be called Singapore.

Wayang y'know? :bsmilie:

Still remember I was carrying a 300 f/2.8 + D1H, 2 years ago in Sungei Buloh, one little girl commented, "wah, very big", now I think the little girl would go "mommy, terrorist!!!" :bsmilie:
Now today you carry 600mm f/4 and D2X and the big girl also will shout to her bf, "wah, see that bad man carrying Axe and bazooka!"

:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.