Long Exposure Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortichro

Jun 12, 2008
Singapore
fazrinaffendi.tumblr.com
hey guise.. im new here.. (but not really new to photography but kinda new to DSLR coz i just bought a D80 lol) Ived been looking and lurking around the internet for Tips and techniques into taking Long Exposure Photography.

Well they do have alot of good tips and techniques but i wanna hear from you guys too on whats best for Long Exposure photography and also whats the longest (bulbsetting) exposure have you guys taken?

shooting the trail of stars at 25 mins ,with fisheye lens ,f stop @f16 ,iso80 .

1) what do you mean what is best for long exposure photography? there are so many factors to consider. you can be creative with anything.. long exposure is a subjective definition, and is quite relative. for example, 30 seconds may be long exposure for a landscape, but 1/10 second can be deemed to be long exposure for people photography for some.

2) longest exposure that one has taken - why do you care? all you need to know is that if you take a picture exposing it for 10 minutes, then the camera will take almost equivalent amount of time to "record it down".. so make sure you have enough battery life to do so.

the longest i have taken is 16 minutes. it will change night time to daylight. colour are almost the same as in daylight except it is noisy.

you must find a place without street light.

I haven done anything past a minute yet.

I have seen someone on Flickr using some ND filter to expose more than half a day ( on film )

Ryan

I kinda agree with night86mare's points too, though I wouldn't put it quite as harshly. Haha! =)

I think you need to be more specific about what you mean by "what's best" for long exposure. And as for longest exposure, well, put it crudely, what do you care? Haha! It's like normal photographs. I don't really see the difference between landscape shot at 1/500s and one at 1/100s, if the aperture is compensated for in each. What I'm trying to say is, in photography, what really matters is the final image. Sure, different exposure timings will have different effects on different scenes. But seeing as to how you have yet to tell us what you're interested in shooting, we can't give you a rough gauge.

So what're you interested in shooting? =)

the longest i have taken is 16 minutes. it will change night time to daylight. colour are almost the same as in daylight except it is noisy.

you must find a place without street light.

How did you get around the problem of the CCD/CMOS heating up during the exposure and the occurence of thermal noise even at low ISO? The longest I've done is about 6 minutes, after which thermal noise causes hot spots all over the picture.

smallest f-stop can do the trick . the wont burn .

I don't think there's much we can do, except to work in cooler weather. Sensor heat up is sure to occur. Perhaps try the long exposure noise reduction in certain models/makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.