Status
Not open for further replies.

Paladin

Jan 18, 2002
SGP
Visit site
Maybe to some it is not..but need your advise on the settings you will use:

The challenge:

Standing facing an oncoming MRT at an above ground MRT station, I would like to capture a blur image of a MRT arriving into the station and then blur images of ppl walking into and out of the MRT.

What are the settings pls......

1 or 2s should be enough. but you properly need to have a tiny aperture to prevent overexposure.

I need full setting details pls...like aperture, shuttle settings, any Ex compensation etc...

If there's a magic formula, we can all throw away our cameras and forget about that perfect shot already. If you're using a digital camera, the only way is to experiment. Take a shot, preview, and try again. If you're using an analogue, take a photo, note the settings, and wait 'till you develop them and compare the photos to the settings.

Well, dial to your shuttle priority mode, set the shuttle to 1s or 2s, then take a reading on the first train ariving and shot :D. or possible dial to manual mode(if you slr/dc have the mode) after you take the reading, and set the shuttle and aperture to the reading you obtain. prepare yourself and wait for the next train. :D

This is what I tried a few days earlier...
mrt.jpg

My shuttle speed was set around 1/30 and 1/60. Too fast and was unable to catch the effect... :(

Originally posted by Richard
If there's a magic formula, we can all throw away our cameras and forget about that perfect shot already. If you're using a digital camera, the only way is to experiment. Take a shot, preview, and try again. If you're using an analogue, take a photo, note the settings, and wait 'till you develop them and compare the photos to the settings.

ya...that's what DC for...i always learn from trail and error...

luckily i am not using film camera

Trail and error safest...coz different cam, different lens, different effects...

:D

what worked for one may not worked for another. and the lighting conditions will differ. so the best way is to try out yourself.

Ah....maybe must be more specific...I wanted to see if anyone has that experience of taking such a shot and the settings...that means the shot has to expose from the time the MRT zoom into the station, then ppl start coming out and going in...That seemsa awefully long time so how to take it without overexposing the shot....

since you know roughly how long it'll take, you can adjust the shutter speed for that and adjust all the other settings to prevent overexposure. but you would be constrained by the equipment you used. you might also want to consider taking the pic when it's darker. Or use a filter to reduce the amount of light.

Dun worry so much for the setting, just bring your cam out and shoot. :) Try different shuttle setting, you'll enjoy it... :D

Originally posted by Paladin
Ah....maybe must be more specific...I wanted to see if anyone has that experience of taking such a shot and the settings...that means the shot has to expose from the time the MRT zoom into the station, then ppl start coming out and going in...That seemsa awefully long time so how to take it without overexposing the shot....

Wah that will need a rather long exposure... think at least >5s to capture both the motion blur of the train & the people. Think you need to set up a tripod liao, and probably some ND filters cause you probably wouldn't be able to find a narrow enough f-stop in the day. You try try first then tell us whether the MRT staffs got chase you away or not? :)

If you want to take just the train in motion, it would be much easier. I think 1~2s will do. Find a spot where you can anchor your hand and steady your camera. Set the camera to shutter priority and the speed to 1~2s. Then meter a train when one is at the station. Set the camera to manual mode and set the aperture according to the metering. It's also good opportunity to lock you AF at this point. Then when the next train comes in, trigger away by squeezing the shutter gently. Try a few more and choose the best one.

Hope that helps. :)

Wow..got the first part...how abt the second part with ppl coming out and going in....

If I not mistaken..
you need 1 sec for the train effect
the time needed for the train to stop to open door is about 7 sec liau..
to capture the ppl movement you will need another 3 - 6 sec..
so total atleast 12 sec!!
how to prevent over expose??

Use f/22 and a ND4 filter. :D

ND4 filters, what do they actually do?

Alternatively, use tripod, take 1 picture of the same train approaching, and take another exposure of the people going in and out,
use photoshop, and overlay them together? :gbounce:

kawan: btw you stay in marsiling! haha, the guy wif the mop in the picture is the station cleaner :p

Originally posted by quackaroo
ND4 filters, what do they actually do?

Alternatively, use tripod, take 1 picture of the same train approaching, and take another exposure of the people going in and out,
use photoshop, and overlay them together? :gbounce:

kawan: btw you stay in marsiling! haha, the guy wif the mop in the picture is the station cleaner :p

not nice leh use photoshop.. not that challenging liau... :p

FYI : I just pass by there that day .. I'm in Tampines :D

If you guys around have the "ND" filters...try and post pics leh...I also dunno what is ND filter...

Status
Not open for further replies.