Lonely

Status
Not open for further replies.

barracuda

Jul 14, 2002
Singapore
www.fearstar.blogspot.com
Alone.jpg

1.in what area is critique to be sought?

a) I would like to know your first thought when you see this pic
b) composition
c) post-processing

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I wanted to capture the quietness and peacefulness of the environment, and the loneliness, yet strongness of the broken chair standing.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

This was taken in a building that was abandoned almost a decade ago. In a very dark room, stood this lone broken chair, and a stray of sunlight shone on it, accenturating its existence, after being abandoned for years.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

Somehow I feel the post-processing is not very good. In addition, I think a subtle change of the position of the light may make wonders to this shot.

Looks pretty ordinary, I think composition could have been more creative. The idea's been shot to the moon and back, it's gonna be something special if you wanna make an impact.

I kinda understand the appeal of your composition, it is quite unusual to see a horizontal beam of light across the bottom third of the frame but please remove or make your copyright smaller and to the bottom right. It's like the composition was made for the copyright in mind, so it's really a waste to a novel idea. You really do need the empty space to complete the picture, as much black as you can.

If you've shot at a level angle you could have portrayed the chair in a single plane. Make it 2D, since your lighting already suggests it. And it would also make it that something special.

Just a slight distraction would be the tile lines in the background. Remove them entirely post production.

I feel you were in a unique situation to be creative, but you were/are still conservative (evident from your writeup). Explore more.

ps. Regardless, it makes a fine candidate for the 'lonely chair' series. Go bump the thread!

try to turn the chair and facing you? it makes the object more eye-catching =)

Looks pretty ordinary, I think composition could have been more creative. The idea's been shot to the moon and back, it's gonna be something special if you wanna make an impact.

I feel you were in a unique situation to be creative, but you were/are still conservative (evident from your writeup). Explore more.

Thank you for your honest comments. This really helps to explain a lot of other things. :)

try to turn the chair and facing you? it makes the object more eye-catching =)

That would work, or try positioning yourself with the light coming in from the side of the chair, that would capture more details then the current one. That would also make the lines of shadow from the chair lead to the fading brick lines in ur background. Well just my 2 cents worth...:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.