Lonely Cat

twoic

Jul 14, 2010

Lonely Cat by twoic, on Flickr

This was a chance photo of a stray cat that hangs around the vicinity of the HDB block I live in.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

Mainly in composition. I felt that the seat divider spoilt the photo somewhat so I did some PP to try and put the focus on the cat. Was this a good idea?

Also, what type of settings do you think will work in this kind of candid, low light conditions? I used f/5.6, 1/15s at ISO800. Camera was on aperture priority mode.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

Trying to take better candid/chance photos, starting with the composition and settings used.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

As mentioned above, it was a very quick photo taken of the cat before it moved away. I wanted to portray the loneliness of the cat - it was loitering around the lift lobby, hoping for someone to feed it.

Hope to hear your views. Thanks!

Hey i like this! A gush of freshness!

I know you couldn't ask the cat to move to its left a bit. But if the seat divider was in the centre, it would have helped to "emphasize" that there was nothing next to the cat. Also if you can tweak the contrast just to make the seat just a little bit more visible, it may help.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
love the minimalism :). and the detail of the cat against a background of nothingness. and also the expression of the cat that you can't quite put your finger on. like at that split second it decided that he was going to ignore you. haha!
nice shot!

nice, can i have it at at least 1920x1200 to use as wallpaper?

@Eworms

thanks! i would have preferred the divider not to be there - I was thinking of cropping it out of the photo, but the effect would not have been nice.

@geckoliz

can you PM me your email? i'll forward it to you :)

Cute cat!;p

btw, would a portrait looks better than landscape? if landscape, then probably should try to have more space on right so that the separater is right in the middel + crop some of the dead space on top...just my input..anyway, I do like the look of the cat...not frightened or anything...rather relaxed...

@ovaltinemilo

on hindsight i think i agree with you that i should have left more space on the right. it didnt occur to me when i took the fleeting shot to not zoom in and crop out the unwanted areas later in PP. mmm, i've tried to crop it into a portrait but i think landscape looks better. but i guess it's up for more experimentation :) thanks!

I like the pic. A lot of feel in the picture.

What I feel can improve the picture is to go for a wider view, so the full 2 seats are shown... that will give an empty feeling better...

thanks for sending me the pic!

:thumbsup: as a cat lover, i really love the minimalistic concept in this photo.

yes, it does make for a good wallpaper doesn't it? ;)