Lonely Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicdow

Apr 14, 2009
[url=http://gallery.clubsnap.com/showphoto.php/photo/148082][/url]

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
I have recently been to Batam View Resort, which is kinda boring. But anyway, I have taken a few shots and this is one of the photos which I like. I'd like to know your views about the composition and post processing technique. This photo consists of 5 exposures merged into a HDR.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I want to project a lonely mood for this photo and at the same time, do not want it to look too "HDR".

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
The photo was taken in the morning and there was no one on the beach. As the water is being surrounded by water breakers, the sea looks calm and was able to cast a clear reflection.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I like the end results of the sky as it is being able to project different tones/ colours.

Last edited:
just a few gripes...
1) use of HDR here is not really to its full effect. the dynamic range of the photo wasn't much to begin with.
2) try to avoid placing ur horizon in the middle..'cuts' the photo in half.
3) i understand the idea of 'lonely boat', but the execution needs some work..the composition can be a bit plainer to project the lonely idea. feel that the structure in the bg is a slight distraction..

Agree with comments above, except that I don't really mind the middle horizon. Water/reflection looks too bright. Picture is quite significantly HDR-ed, a bit unnatural.

However, I like the painting-like quality of the picture. Lovely!

My interpretation:

Composition:
1. I don't mind the horizon in the middle :)

2. Either a lot of sand or no sand. (Crop your image to see :)

3. The boat is colorful and nice.

3. If he water breakers are not in the way, it will look really lonely due to the wide open sea.

Critics on end results of the sky:
1. Sleepy sky (maybe you are sleepy when you took the shoot :)
2. Choose the light or the dark side. Hard to compromise between the two for a natural shoot. Either more glow in the sky or more darkness to it.

Generally, the mood is not lonely, because the picture is really lovely. People love the Sun, Sand and Sea, remove one of the element (sand) to make it lonely.

Placidity_clubsnap.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Thanks for the comments. I have done a little editing which may make it more appropriate for the title.

With the original photo, perhaps if I change the title to "Tranquility", it'll be more suitable?

Thanks for the comments. I have done a little editing which may make it more appropriate for the title.

With the original photo, perhaps if I change the title to "Tranquility", it'll be more suitable?

This is very nice! This is like a motivational poster. :)

make the cropping a bit more panoramic still. you still have too much space at the top that doesn't really add to the picture.

it would, if the boat was lower in the frame, but it isn't, so.. :)

but the later version is tons better than the original posted.

Thanks for the comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.