Loneliness

Status
Not open for further replies.

vocalmind

Apr 23, 2009
DSC_7036.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
framing, angle of camera, etc

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
to understand how to deliver emotion in the photograph

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
my first TFCD shoot 6 months ago, not really thinking of something during the shoot, but now i thought this pic can convey a message of loneliness.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
lots of distraction of the composition, may not work if converted to BW.

Composition: Poor

Expression on models face: Fair

Posture: Terrible. Leg positioning is awkward and very trite.

Exposure: Not good, despite the heavy PhotoShopping there's still exposure blow out on the models skin, which is marked and noticable, especially on the RHS of the face and arms.

Setting: Way too cluttered to make a good shot conveying loneliness.

Very few redeeming points with this shot. While not quite a snapshot it's not far off. For this to work properly you need a more desolate location and should probably shoot from a low to parallel with the models face vantage point. While her expression is not bad it's still as much an "in thought" shot than showing any real loneliness. having her hold a photograph or doll etc with that expression will work far better.

Keep trying, you will get it eventually but loneliness is not a subject best faked.

Last edited:
agreed....
TS: if by loneliness, you mean "longing for someone distant", then a photograph pf that person in her hands would probably convey the message better.
She looks 'bored' more than 'lonely'.

When I saw the title, I immediately expected a photo almost completely devoid of elements except the subject... lo and behold there's moss on the ground, some rocks, a bench, a plant, and even a distracting wooden background.
Not to mention the awkward leg position, which... hmmmm, I don't like.

Thank you for the sincere comments. Will keep a look on your pointers next time.

if you are intending to convey loneliness, the location, the model's expression, etc - none of it works at all.

that aside, just taking this as a photo with a poorly thought-up title... there is much to improve.

1) messy cluttered picture in general, meaning you have loads of things competing with your central subject - i assume it's your model
2) utterly weird pose
3) that skin DI is way bad - the tones suggest that she is glowing from within with a soft light, since the light source is unidentifiable
4) also oversmoothened - just look at the hands and face, she has become a wax doll - advice is to keep it easy, hiding flaws is fine, smoothening out is great, but not until it has lost all texture

Status
Not open for further replies.