Lone

frankngo

Mar 8, 2012
403980_2997170643757_1096972991_32404491_1249247508_n.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
I'm starting photography as a new hobby, so every critiques from composition, lighting, etc. are very welcome

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I was pretty upset at the time I took this photo. I wanted to share to feeling when you had to wait for something in vain, knowing it would never come

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I took this photo when I was wandering around the city area, at the bus stop outside MICA building. As stated above, I was pretty upset at the time, which I think affected the mood of the photo

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
This photo was posted without any post-processing. It conveyed my true feeling. I hope someone can relate to that feeling through the photo.

Last edited:
I can tell that you're upset from waiting for the unreliable buses in Singapore, yes?

But having said so, I think you can look at your composition again because placing that thing almost close to the center isn't very attractive. I can see what you're trying to do by making the first one sharper than the rest but maybe you could apply the rules of thirds, yes? Throw it to the left side of the frame and lower your camera even more because there's too much empty space above that "thing" (what is it called again?)

I personally think the colors are fine and I would love the thing at the front to be sharper, yes?

The photo does depict loneliness - a single entity standing out from the crowd, isolated. Maybe next time, you can go there again and try experiment with your composition again, yes? :)

Have fun~

My 2 cents
As of the mood, maybe u can try it in black and white.. will enhance the feeling
Other then that, it just look like a random shoot, most like taken with a 50mm f1.8 trying to show the bokeh~

I think it might have been better if you figured out what exactly you wanted to shoot. In this case, I'm guessing it's the absence of the bus (which is a very difficult subject). So the photo should depict the absence of a bus. Probably the best way would be to show more of the bus bay, and make it clear that it was an empty bus stop. Also, showing cars passing by might add the dimension of time, esp. if you had used a longer exposure to blur the lights of the cars, leaving just light streaks on the road. Composition wise, I agree with broylim in that the rule of thirds would have helped the photo a lot. What is necessary is perhaps to show that this is a bus stop. Try different angles next time.

Also, about the post-processing (pp) part - I think PP is actually very usefu. Esp. when using tools like levels/colour correction that don't change the photo that much (I think the phrase is 'distort the reality of the photo'). Don't be afraid to use pp if you're avoiding it just to convey a 'true feeling' or for an 'organic, untouched' shot; but of course, don't overdo it either.

Other than what has already been said, I think the use of bokeh here is overdone and may even be unnecessary. It's more important to compose and show the elements that illustrate your frustration more, ie. the bus bay.. the passing cars but no bus.. etc. A bigger depth of field may work better here.

If you hadn't mentioned about your frustration, I would never have felt that. The feeling I got was that you totally love the 1st 'safety post' (dunno what's it's called too :p) so much you are totally fixated on it and everything else is irrelevant. :p

Hope the critiques dun add to your frustration more.. do continue to shoot more and have fun experimenting with composing :) I'm still learning too.

I dun think TS was upset because of a bus...just wondering...

Last edited:
yeah not really sure what the picture is trying to show apart from demonstrating shallow depth of field. And why is the safety post lonely when there are so many safety posts in the BG? Also the out of focus plant on the right is a bit distracting, maybe can crop out?

I think TS is testing our skill of commenting. Please re-shoot and re-submit.