London BABY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poledra

Sep 7, 2002
Near the Clouds
Visit site
Hey all.

(Adam Goi knows how to cast Resurrection :D)

I'm going to London in mid-June and I need to think up of an itinerary for the 8 days I'll be there.

(I'll reach London at 5am on 12th June and be on the homebound flight on 20th June 5pm.)
I'll probably be staying with my aunt during the trip.

Does anyone know what places are good? I need to keep in mind the fact that my mum will be coming with me as well.

Thanks in advance!

Make a day trip to Cambridge :thumbsup: Go punting :)

kiat and i should be around... but i should be busy with my report... haha final year... but i am sure u will have fun... where does your aunt stay?

Scare me.. I thought Poledra got pregnant... :bsmilie:

Ah London, a place I called home for 4 years. :-D

I'd suggest the following to keep your mom happy and you'll be able to find some interesting things for yourself too:

1. Camden & Chalk Farm market on weekends - lots of funky things to buy.
2. A day trip to Brighton for the kitsch factor. Actually Brighton's quite nice in summer and it does give a sortta san francisco-ish feel in some ways.
3. Portobello market - nice and slightly more "upmarket" compared to Camden.
4. Sloane Square, Chelsea and Kensington have a few nice shops, the V&A museum and some good bookshops. Walk along the Thames from Albert Bridge(best seen at night but hey, it's summer, long days short nights) towards Chelsea. You'll love it!
5. Tower Hill/Tower Bridge. There're some nice cafes along Tower Bridge that you absolutely must go to. The place is beautiful, more so at night.
6. Canary Wharf area is quite nice at night too.

Have a good trip. ;-)

Bring more photos back!;)

Add on:

7. Greenwich is a MUST see. Take the Jubilee line to Canary Wharf then change to Docklands Light Rail to Island Gardens (that's the last stop during my time, things might change now so check!). I know there's Cutty Sark and Greenwich now so you might wanna stop there instead as it saves you the trouble of using that long underground walkway. You absolutely have to walk to the top of the place and enjoy the view from there. :thumbsup:

8. Covent Garden, lots of shopping, lots of nice boutiques, lots of nice shoes, lots of nice cafes, Longacre branch of Dillons, lots of art books, nuff said.

9. Leicester Square, lots of theatres, lots of tourists, chinatown. There's a nice tucked away cafe called Apogee when I was there. I really loved that place. If you're there, perhaps you can go there but in Summer, al fresco's the way to go and Apogee isn't al fresco. It's sortta in a small alleyway on the way to Chinatown, still a nice place all the same.

just to add on to what G-man said...

borough market near london bridge is very nice... Chinatown should be gd fun for your mum...
and also in case she misses chinese food... erm... Hyde park? Can go watch musical also... very nice... buy some last min tickets.... gd luck...have fun.. post more pics...

not the cheapest place to be...

Can go watch EPL match or hang around at SOHO:D

Many things to see and do there, strange thing is that you can walk for miles and you won't get tired at all, tt's how I felt.

Watch a play!! That's one of the things you must do in london. Top notch unlike the stuff we get here. :sweat: I only know the clubbing locations in London (My place of stay during term breaks) was studying in Cambridge :bsmilie:

If you really want good chinese food in London, make a trip to bayswater.

Royal China -> Nice Dim Sum

Mandarin Kitchen -> Nice lobster noodles

Four Seasons -> The BEST Roast Duck in the world (Trust me but it's fatty)

If shopping for sports wear (football jerseys for relatives) go to lily whites in piccadilly circus

1) Oxford and Regent Street - high street shopping
2) Buckingham Palace
3) Westminster, Big Ben
4) Kew Gardens - must see if you are interested in botany
5) Natural History Museum, British Museum
6) Harrods in Kensington

If you want to try cheap, reasonably good quality and awful service Chinese restaurant food, you can try Wong Kei in Chinatown. During peak hours, you don't get to choose where you want to seat and you'll have to share table with others. Also, chances are that you'll get sarcastic remarks if you have a second order or ask for fork and spoon. No preferential treatment for anyone. Great experience!

Klose said:
If you really want good chinese food in London, make a trip to bayswater.

Royal China -> Nice Dim Sum

Mandarin Kitchen -> Nice lobster noodles

Four Seasons -> The BEST Roast Duck in the world (Trust me but it's fatty)

If shopping for sports wear (football jerseys for relatives) go to lily whites in piccadilly circus

for your info... last year... magic wok (3shops down the road) poached 4seasons "duck chef" haha... both shops are VERY Good... esp roast duck... the lobster noodles i have always wanted to try....yummy.. ;p

londonray said:
for your info... last year... magic wok (3shops down the road) poached 4seasons "duck chef" haha... both shops are VERY Good... esp roast duck... the lobster noodles i have always wanted to try....yummy.. ;p

:bigeyes: :bigeyes: but the duck is still yummy right? The kebab stall down the road is apparently one of the best in the area :bsmilie:

Go to the museum, it's awesome to see and you can spend a couple of days in there. Visit Hampton Court. It is a bit out of the way (zone 6) but it's worth seeing if you are into gardens and old castles.

Some photos from there:
http://fuzzbox.smugmug.com/Travel

Oh and don't forget the palace. Well worth seeing.

1)St Paul's quite photogenic from the outside... not worth it to go inside. Try taking St Paul's from across the river via the Millenium Bridge.. lots of good angles.

2)Pack a picnic lunch and spend an afternoon lazing in Hyde Park or Kensington Gardens

3)London at night is fantastic, especially along the Thames.... remember to bring a tripod.

4)A walking tour which we always use when conducting walkabouts for freshies goes something like this: St Pauls -> Cross Millenium Bridge -> Tate Modern -> Along South Bank towards Waterloo ->County Hall/Waterloo/London Eye -> Cross to Westminster/Big Ben -> Trafalgar Square -> Leicester Square and Chinatown -> Picadilly Circus -> Covent Garden.

Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.