Lomography : Don't think, just shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

willyfoo

Jan 18, 2002
North
willyfoo.com
http://onezine.s-one.net.sg/_Thur/07032002/Lomography/

Check out this article from Singapore ONE...

"Lomography is about taking photographs using the Russian compact camera that has no flash yet produces vibrant photographs."

I found the rules 'interesting'...
-take your LOMO everywhere you go
-use it at any time - day & night
-lomography is not an interference in your life, but a part of it
-approach the objects of your lomographic desire as close as possible
-don't think (William Firebrace)
-be fast
-you don't have to know beforehand what is captured on your film
-you don't have to know it afterwards either
-shoot from the hip
-don't care about rules

It's all marketing man. Rueyloon's already doing the same thing with a Yashica T5 and a Konica Hexar AF. :p

and, braving the flames, to a certain extent, don't all digital photographers subscribe to the "Don't Think, Just Shoot" mentality ? ;p

/me goes and dons the asbestos underwear and Kevlar fire-proof suit....

Originally posted by Darren
and, braving the flames, to a certain extent, don't all digital photographers subscribe to the "Don't Think, Just Shoot" mentality ? ;p

/me goes and dons the asbestos underwear and Kevlar fire-proof suit....

Wah... really asking for it man...

Originally posted by willyfoo
Wah... really asking for it man...
actually, i am also taking a pot shot at myself - i am not ashamed to say that i have gone down the "just shoot, don't think" route many times (and probably will many times more in future). With digital, its easier cos there is no recurring costs (other than electricity to recharge the batteries), and you dont have incriminating negatives/slides lying around cos all the rubbish has been deleted.

And sometimes, its just like a stress releaser - for example, i take my kids out to the park, and when they are playing around, I just shoot shoot shoot - no worries about composition, no worries about exposure, no worries about technicalities...... at the end of the day, maybe one or two nice pics will come out.

oyo... after re-reading what i wrote above, ppl may get the wrong idea that i anyhow go out and shoot, shoot, shoot and hope for 1-2 good pics ... muahahaha ... err... actually, for most of the arranged photoshoots, there is *some* thought going into the pics (hee hee ... a disclaimer...).

Just visit photo.net. take a look at the pictures there.

GENERALLY speaking (there are always exceptions, of course), you can tell which photographers use film, and which use digital. The digital pictures are all the "bo liao" ones. The breathtaking ones are usually film.

Originally posted by isomers007
i also think that it's juz marketing gimmick....can juz buy an aiptek spycam or whatever cheapo cam out there.....and juz shoot..dun think...

Hey, you got a point man.. the results from such cameras are quite close to the Lomo ones (ie. CRAP)

Lomo... My firend has one... Just a fun cam... I'll rather get one of those polaroid cams (but I've already got something more fun). And with "motordrive" on most digital cam, can get similar effect by simple stitching on some image editing program.

But isn't the Lomo also supposed to produce pictures with the colours sort of tinted or shifted, to look more edgy or something?

Don't Think, Just Shoot???

I adopt that attitude the 1st day I got hold of a DC liao lor!!!!

:D

Originally posted by Flare
Lomo... My firend has one... Just a fun cam... I'll rather get one of those polaroid cams (but I've already got something more fun). And with "motordrive" on most digital cam, can get similar effect by simple stitching on some image editing program.

You are confused between the Action Sampler and the Lomo LCA.

Oh yah... hahaha... But then seriously... I'll just use my Aipek Pencam... shoot shoot and shoot... its smaller than a LOMO... and shooting LoMO at night? wow... someone has to try that...

lomo shoot at night like how huh?? can post some pics??
i wanna see!!!

Originally posted by isomers007
flare, how's de aiptek pancam?? can post sample pics? thot of buying...

Not very good.... blur at corners and requires a lot of light... Noisy if shot indoors... I'll dig them out... its in one of my CDs......

Originally posted by Flare

Not very good.... blur at corners and requires a lot of light... Noisy if shot indoors... I'll dig them out... its in one of my CDs......

oohhh...ok....thot of buying a compact one to bring anywhere...but dun want to fork out hundreds :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.