Lolumina Soft-Release Button REVIEWED!!!

ahblack

Jan 24, 2014
Singapore (west)
Hi everyone!! This is my first ever review, so I hope it's good enough!!
Ok... Let' go!

Who is Lolumina??
http://lolumina.com/
A brief introduction about Lolumina...
I don't know them personally, just that someone brought them up in some other forum, and a little bit of "googling", here they are.

What is Lolumina Soft-Release Button??
Ok... from my own understanding... Currently, it is the only soft release button for non-threaded shutter release cameras (for example, Fujifilm X-T1, Sony A7 series, DSLR, etc...). For the cameras with threaded shutter release button (Leica cameras, Fujifilm x100(s), etc...), they can easily choose from a wide array of buttons from many brands (A&A, and many more that I don't know). So without wasting anymore time, here are some photos of the button.

2ynrolf.jpg

1st MO

29up10m.jpg

Gold button

sorry for the low quality photos... I guess I wasn't really well prepared enough for a proper review...

Currently Lolumina provides 2 types of buttons. (1)MARK 2, (2)MINI

2ytxsb8.jpg

MARK 2(L), MINI(R)

As you can see, the only difference is the size. MARK 2 being slightly bigger (13.5mm) while MINI being slightly smaller (10mm)
One great news, is that they have MANY COLORS for you to choose from!!
Black, Green, Red, Silver, Gold (There might be a SONY Orange coming soon as they are doing it for the A7 users!!! How nice of them!!)

Reactions: catchlights
To be continue... My own user experience!!!
A bit late liao... Go sleep first... Good night all!!!

My own USER EXPERIENCE!!!

Ok, first thing first, I shall let you guys see how it looks on the X-T1!!
Again... Sorry for the photo quality... Was using my HTC One X...

29zx0tf.jpg

24p05kx.jpg

30if1wh.jpg

Gold baby...

Nice right?? Hehehehe... Let's start with the bad things first...

View My Video

The button does in fact "wiggle" a little bit, but it's not the button's fault. As all the shutter release for camera does wiggle a bit by itself, I think that even those buttons with thread are still gonna wiggle as they are attached to the shutter release button. Some might find it as a flaw, but for me, as long as it doesn't interfere with shooting, I'm totally fine with it.

*If you are bothered with the wiggling problem, one of the member from my first MO suggested that you can choose the MINI version, so that it will be less wiggling (Thanks Victor!!)

Another thing is that the base with 3M sticker. It might be difficult for those people with fat fingers to apply it accurately on the center of the shutter release button (everyone I know says I have lady-like fingers, and yet I still find it a little bit hard to "aim"...). I made a mistake after apply the button... I didn't let it "settle" long enough, and now it tend to fall out sometimes when I take it out from my bag... My solution is press it hard for a few seconds, then put it back into the cabinet without using it. I repeat this whenever I remember, and after a few times, it sticks and doesn't fall off anymore (Touch wood touch wood...).

One last thing, is the button size, and this only happens to MARK 2 (13.5mm) or MARK 1 (15mm, they discontinued this version). With MARK 2, the diameter is almost/slightly bigger than the power ring. This means you might have a tiny winy little trouble on turning the power ring. For me, I can bare with it.

Basically, these are the problems I faced for this long. I will continue to "monitor" it and I will report it here if anything happens (Touch wood touch wood...)

Now... Here are the good things...

IT LOOKS AWESOME!!!

2887dqc.jpg

It's a BLING BLING to your camera!!! Well, for me, I always find a way to make my belong more... PERSONAL!! I bet for most of the people who's looking for a soft release button, they ARE trying make their gears more special (add a BLING to it).For this price, nothing beats it. and it does add a little bit functionality to the camera.

While shooting, it felt natural. Some said it looks very tall, and scare that it might feel odd when pressing the button, or losing the natural feeling of half-pressing the button. Well... This is really a personal thing. I've shooting with DSLR for a long time, and the X-T1 is my first jump into mirrorless camera. With the Lolumina button, it still feels natural to me (or should I say, I got used to it quite easily).

I mentioned about the size of the button in the "Bad" section right? Well, for me there's good and bad about the MARK 2. Bad being... I mentioned it just now... And good being it's comfortable. I think the size is just nice for my finger tip. I think MINI is too small for my taste (less noticeable hehehe...)

Same like yerterday... To be continue... Finale!!! Final thought/Summary/whatever you call it...
A bit late liao... Go sleep first... Good night all!!!

Thanks for the review. If you don't mind I'd like to add my own experience.

I owned it with my A7, and it helped a great deal with respect to the pressure required to press the shutter button yada yada, and it was the reason why I bought it.

However, contrary to ur experience, the 3M adhesive is super strong. so strong, that it remove the native shutter button with it when it went missing. One fine day, I was out shooting and the shutter button probably got caught up in a tangle somewhere, the whole thing came off and it was already too late when I realised it was missing. I lost the lolumina button, and also a part of the actual shutter button assembly.

Fortunately, my camera is now sitting at the service centre awaiting transplant.

Will I buy it again? I don't know. I was using the mark 1 version, which is bigger and may pose a greater risk to what I went thru. Perhaps I will buy the smaller one, or perhaps think of another solution to the a7 shutter pressure issue.

Thanks for the review. If you don't mind I'd like to add my own experience.

I owned it with my A7, and it helped a great deal with respect to the pressure required to press the shutter button yada yada, and it was the reason why I bought it.

However, contrary to ur experience, the 3M adhesive is super strong. so strong, that it remove the native shutter button with it when it went missing. One fine day, I was out shooting and the shutter button probably got caught up in a tangle somewhere, the whole thing came off and it was already too late when I realised it was missing. I lost the lolumina button, and also a part of the actual shutter button assembly.

Fortunately, my camera is now sitting at the service centre awaiting transplant.

Will I buy it again? I don't know. I was using the mark 1 version, which is bigger and may pose a greater risk to what I went thru. Perhaps I will buy the smaller one, or perhaps think of another solution to the a7 shutter pressure issue.

I don't mind at all!! Great that you've joined in.

Wow... I'm sorry to hear that... The problem with my unit is just my own carelessness. I took too long to apply it, and use it too soon hahaha...
I think somehow, it still depends on what kind of material they use for the shutter release button and it's surface texture. I don't know much about the Sony A7, but for X-T1, it's mostly plastic and the surface is quite matte and smooth (don't know how to explain it =.=), making it harder to stay on when freshly applied.

I read about this method, where people just put stick a rubber ring/button or something on the shutter release button. I hope you can find another solution for your shutter pressure issue.

I actually went around digging about the problem you faced, guess what? http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50680-soft-release-a7-r.html
A good read for those who are considering getting the Lolumina buttons.

Thanks for dropping by!!

I don't mind at all!! Great that you've joined in.

Wow... I'm sorry to hear that... The problem with my unit is just my own carelessness. I took too long to apply it, and use it too soon hahaha...
I think somehow, it still depends on what kind of material they use for the shutter release button and it's surface texture. I don't know much about the Sony A7, but for X-T1, it's mostly plastic and the surface is quite matte and smooth (don't know how to explain it =.=), making it harder to stay on when freshly applied.

I read about this method, where people just put stick a rubber ring/button or something on the shutter release button. I hope you can find another solution for your shutter pressure issue.

I actually went around digging about the problem you faced, guess what? http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50680-soft-release-a7-r.html
A good read for those who are considering getting the Lolumina buttons.

Thanks for dropping by!!

The link u posted described exactly my problem. Looks like I'm not alone. But then again, there's no way we can file a claim for compensation from either sony or lolumina. Haha. $10 usd and a week's downtime for a lesson learned. Ok la. I take it in my strides.

Maybe I'll just take one of those small table leg rubber stoppers (or whatever they are called) and stick it on my new shutter button fixed by sony :)

The link u posted described exactly my problem. Looks like I'm not alone. But then again, there's no way we can file a claim for compensation from either sony or lolumina. Haha. $10 usd and a week's downtime for a lesson learned. Ok la. I take it in my strides.

Maybe I'll just take one of those small table leg rubber stoppers (or whatever they are called) and stick it on my new shutter button fixed by sony :)

Yup, all had their shutter release button ripped hahaha... It's unfortunate... I think it's a good product, too bad such problem exist. Now, I kinda relief that my unit isn't that sticky LOL

Does the table leg rubber stopper come in that small size? If I can suggest, maybe 1 or 2 layers of leather cut and paste on the button? I saw people doing this for the X-T1 D-pad, looks nice!

Yup, all had their shutter release button ripped hahaha... It's unfortunate... I think it's a good product, too bad such problem exist. Now, I kinda relief that my unit isn't that sticky LOL

Does the table leg rubber stopper come in that small size? If I can suggest, maybe 1 or 2 layers of leather cut and paste on the button? I saw people doing this for the X-T1 D-pad, looks nice!

Hmm, can u elaborate on the "leather cut and paste"? I got no idea what is that. There's places selling scrap pieces of leather?

Hmm, can u elaborate on the "leather cut and paste"? I got no idea what is that. There's places selling scrap pieces of leather?

Sorry... wasn't very clear myself hahaha... Here's a link to what I mentioned
http://www.fujix-forum.com/index.ph...ton-leather-stickers-mk-ii-improvement/page-2

Well, I don't really know where the leather is sold, you might need to dig around.

Hope this helps!

Sorry... wasn't very clear myself hahaha... Here's a link to what I mentioned
http://www.fujix-forum.com/index.php/topic/21978-diy-x-t1-d-pad-button-leather-stickers-mk-ii-improvement/page-2

Well, I don't really know where the leather is sold, you might need to dig around.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, I'll try to figure out a DIY solution. Hopefully other users of the lolumina can also share their experience :)

Here comes the... FINALE!!!

Originally, I was going to end this review by the button being highly recommended for everyone.
But... Due to the recent inputs from silvermoon1407, I have changed my mind.
So this is the summary of my review...

Pros
1. Cheap, inexpensive, CHEAP!!!
2. A great (the only...) option for cameras with non-threaded shutter release button
3. Nice accessories for cameras, many colors to choose from (PERSONALIZE YOUR GEAR!!!)
4. Added functionality to camera, "it helped a great deal with respect to the pressure required to press the shutter button yada yada..." - silvermon1407 ;p Sorry can't help it hehehe...
5. Great customer service from Lolumina team, kudos to them for changing the delivery cost for international buyers. Did I mentioned that they included a hand-written thank you card inside the packaging?? Although they got my name wrong...

Cons:
1. Slightly covers the on/off power ring of the Fujifilm X-T1 (for MARK 1/2 only)
2. Not that easy to apply the base accurately onto the button (maybe it's just me...)
3. Possibility to damage camera's shutter release button (as quoted by silvermoon1407, this is due to the shape of the button (with "wing"), it's easy to catch on things like strap or bag, and accidentally ripped off from the camera)
4. Still an early product, despite having many color options, I wish they can come up with different shape and design for the button (in some way can avoid damaging shutter release button).

Final Thought:
I would totally recommend this to all my friends. I think it's a well-thought product, and I'm really enjoy using it. I think we (FUJIFILM X-T1 users) deserved more choices of accessories, and this is definitely one of it.

So that's about it! As promised, the review of Lolumina Soft Release Button! I know this is a far cry from a proper review, but I hope you guys can still enjoy it and benefit from it. If you have any question that is not answered in this review, please feel free to leave a message down below, and I will try my best to help you. As for other Lolumina button users, please by all means, feel free share your thought with us, so that people can know more about the button as I still think it's a great product made by a very dedicated, passionate and hardworking team who love photography.

I shall end this review with more photos provided by the people from first MO. Thank you all, and have a great day!!

23mr5hu.jpg
2lt59wg.jpg

SONY A7 with Gold Button, MINI version (credits to Celina, many thanks!!)

20utywy.jpg
2n20e4k.jpg

FUJIFILM X-T1 with Red Button, MINI version (credits to Peter, many thanks!!)

THE END

Updates on the photos!

Well, the quality of the photos (from my HTC One X...) just don't do Lolumina justice, so I decided to update the photos! (managed to redo the shooting with my company's A77 secretly in my office :sweat:)

fyzi93.jpg

The dials... How can you not love them?!

nt5p1.jpg

Not too big, not too small...

2w7008h.jpg

Dial Dial Dial... Dials!!! And the button of course...

al6vqd.jpg

And 1 last angle!!

That will be all. Thank you all for your time, and have a great day!!

Thanks bro Ahblack on helping to arrange the mass order for this Lolumina soft release button! I could not wait 72hrs till it settle to 100% bonding strength as recommended and took it out after 48hrs to try around my room.

I must say that the shutter feel on my Sony A7 now is much better even I have not really familiar that much with the height of the new shutter release with the Lolumina. Now at least I can feel a little bit of the half press as well as the full shutter release press which hardly felt before. Since now I don't need to press too much in the shutter release button, I feel less shake. This is the first time with the A7 I can shoot with my 40mm lens at the speed 1/60s quite comfortable (previously I rarely shoot lower than 1/100s to avoid the shake when press down the shutter release).

Overall I must say that it is very good for A7 owner to try this Lolumina.

Here is some of the photo with of the Lolumina gold mini on my A7 (taken with the Ricoh GR and Raynox DCR250).

15554166950_5487be3bb4_c.jpg

15553546678_3df2e81eea_c.jpg

15553545768_724882b61d_c.jpg

Thanks Chipvn for the review! there's a good thing about not letting fully bond, because some said the bond was so strong that it took out the shutter button when it got caught!!

Great shots!!