Logos and statues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream Merchant

Staff member
Jan 11, 2007
I was wondering, is is possible to use a DI-ed image of a statue in public as part of one's logo? The statue does not appear to be an icon of a company (e.g., Ronald McDonald's statue). It's a statue in a public park.

I recall a studio using the silhouette of Sir Stamford Raffles' statue as their logo for decades, as well as the 'Raffles' name.

Last edited:
Personal opinion arh....

I think as long as no one owns the copyrights(in artwork context) to the statue or that it have expired, then no problem lor.

Another thing is who owns the copyright to the original pic whereby they get the silhouette from. If they take themselves and no one owns the copyright of the statue, then it should be fine.

As for the raffles name, i don't think it is an issue. It is after all a name, unless registered as a trademark of a particular company/institution/govt body and replicated in a similar fashion(fonts & designs) to the register trademark....

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that Evo.

Each one of our photos have rights to us.
The statue would have rights to the artist if original, just like our photos.
I am sure it would be no problem. But couldn't hurt tracking down the artist giving him an email just to let him know.

Cheers,
Hope everything is well ;)

Hey Gee!

How have you been? Switched systems yet?

I guess that's one way to look at it...

But I'm trying to put myself into the shoes of the sculptor. If I created this piece of work, how would I feel if someone uses an image of the statue, (which might be linked to my statue), and what it stands for, to represent a business? With or without permission. Or am I protected by rights, and what rights if I either did not like the association, or want to charge?

Anyone knows how copyrights work for sculptors and artists?

yeah good thanks mate, i switched systems a while ago and loving it. Havn't been shooting much recently just alot of sports. Hey, you still want to shoot some rugby? Give me a PM.

yeah another way is to think it is a public place. The statue belongs to the public now and you have taken the photo, you have rights to use that photo. It is not like a model release form or anything is needed for a statue!

hmm so many different point of views to be considered from different people. good luck!

yeah good thanks mate, i switched systems a while ago and loving it. Havn't been shooting much recently just alot of sports. Hey, you still want to shoot some rugby? Give me a PM.

yeah another way is to think it is a public place. The statue belongs to the public now and you have taken the photo, you have rights to use that photo. It is not like a model release form or anything is needed for a statue!

hmm so many different point of views to be considered from different people. good luck!

No worries.

Unless there are clear laws regarding the use of an image of someone's sculpture for a logo, it's good to hear different views.

You still remember! :cool: Would love to shoot some rugger or baseball when the weather clears up, but the longest I have is a slow 400mm. Do you figure that would be enough? Also, I'm kinda thinking of approaching sports slightly differently these days ... with multi-synced remote strobes ...

Status
Not open for further replies.