Lockers in local MRT stations / shopping centres

Lockers in local MRT stations / shopping centres?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
I don't know how everybody feel regarding this, but from my travelling, especially in Scandinavia countries, there are lockers everywhere! From their train stations to shopping malls, you can see signs pointing to lockers.

Different sizes of lockers from as small as 30x30x30cm to 50x50x100cm to tall slim ski lockers.. Normal key lock to computerized system with display that calculates long you've put your stuffs, they're everywhere!

But how come Singapore don't have such system? Sometimes i feel very tired after photo shoot and have to lug my gears + tripod around if i need to do some shopping or get some groceries.

In Scandinavia where living standards are much higher than Singapore, I pay around S$5 for a small locker.. S$18 to squeeze a big backpack + camera bag + mid-size luggage..

Does anyone shares the same thoughts as me? Having public lockers will be good?

two obvious reasons why we don't have such lockers in sg:

1. security concern: what if terrorists use those lockers to store their explosives? paris removes almost all lockers/left luggage service since the start of the terror war. in sg, we cannot even have rubbish bins in MRT stations, how can we have lockers?!:nono:

2. ppl may abuse it. ppl cannot even take care of their most precious money, how can you expect ppl to take care of lockers?!:nono:

my a bit paranoid answer to your question :bsmilie:

Hmm good answer barracuda!!

I got tired of hearing myself whining and complaining whenever i'm desperate for a public locker.. So decided to post here to (probably) get some negative comments to convince myself. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Actually with the current world terrorist situation, a lot of government are beginning to re-look at these public lockers ... They may be a good idea for the genuine users, but can also be turned into a security threat overnight ...

Ever wonder why there are no rubbish bins in some Underground Stations ... ? They are viewed as a security issue ... weather it be real threat or just pure mischieve by pranksters.

1st, Singapore too small and crowded to warrant the use of lockers.

2ndly, need to plan your day properly

3rd, if all else fails, can go home first and then go out again.

4th, Singapore transport system only caters to local travel, and the distance is not that great to need lockers, so that people can stop at every stop/centre to shop and then continue. Most tourist stay nearby enough to drop off at the hotel before heading out again.

i work in suntec , so in the beginning when suntec started out , the convention area have lockers , i remember cause i place my things there before go shopping n walking around at the nearby , then as the period goes by the lockers disappeared,

then sep 11 and london incident , those lockers confirmed disappeared.

so for the general safety of the public, no more lockers nor dusbin at mrt, a small price to pay lor ,

then my wife bomb me say i weak already , must go gym to train up or change to a smaller n lighter camera
hahahahaha :)

haha chiang!
"must go gym to train up or change to a smaller n lighter camera" :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Looks like it IS indeed the terrorist acts that deters the government from placing lockers.

The only lockers i see so far these days are in IKEA.. Those are clear plastic/glass, see through material.

By the way, when i mentioned about my travelling in Scandinavia, it was Oct/Nov 2005. There're many many lockers everywhere

Well, when I was travelling on the Tokaido Shinkansen plying between Tokyo & Kyoto (Kansai areas), I was pretty surprised that the rubbish bins were sealed and no longer in use. The result? I have to hold my rubbish till I reach my stop 3hrs later before I threw it in the transparent bins on the station platform.

Not surprising since that is the most popular bullet train route for most foreign tourists, especially ang mors.

Inconvienent and we all whine. We all say that "the terrorists are in the dark & we're in the light", detractors say that, "all those are merely for show".

Yes, we can talk the talk. But would YOU (or anyone for that matters) wanna take the risk of ur country having a bomb rip off?

If terrorists really want to bomb a place, there's no need for lockers/bins.

One way to solve your problem may be using a luggage bag on wheels kinda thingy. w simple latch on for ease of tacking steps/stairs.

Else get a car/bike etc.

We don't even have dustbins in the MRT stations, unlikely they will put lockers...

Dump your stuff in Toys R Us, they'll be happy to keep it for you

having lockers are good. beside security, the only reason is that ppl will abuse the lockers.

what happen if i keep my stuffs there for days and just do not bother to retrieve it.
unless the locker operator states that all stuffs will be remove at the end of the day.

Chiang said:
i work in suntec , so in the beginning when suntec started out , the convention area have lockers , i remember cause i place my things there before go shopping n walking around at the nearby , then as the period goes by the lockers disappeared,
yes.. bikers now have to carry their helmets. :cry: lockers at Raffles City have disappeared too.. You'll find in jb they also have special counters in carparks that offer to safekeep your helmet at a cheap rate. But non are available in sg.

Jayson_Ang said:
Dump your stuff in Toys R Us, they'll be happy to keep it for you
I've been doing that all over shopping centres where they ask you to deposit bags before entering the store. Deposit, and walk the whole day until you song, then go back and collect. Then i realised that such services are disappering.. :dunno: really have so many ppl like me meh?

some ppl like 2 buy buy buy buy till they drop... :lovegrin:

can u deliver all tis stuff 2 tis addy?

yanyewkay said:
yes.. bikers now have to carry their helmets. :cry: lockers at Raffles City have disappeared too.. You'll find in jb they also have special counters in carparks that offer to safekeep your helmet at a cheap rate. But non are available in sg.

I've been doing that all over shopping centres where they ask you to deposit bags before entering the store. Deposit, and walk the whole day until you song, then go back and collect. Then i realised that such services are disappering.. :dunno: really have so many ppl like me meh?

one of them is me loh
;p

behyx said:
Sometimes i feel very tired after photo shoot and have to lug my gears + tripod around if i need to do some shopping or get some groceries.

I guess it depends how you carry your gears.

For me on left shoulder camera bag, on right shouder tripod, on the back backpack to carry shopping, left hand carrying food and right hand carrying drink.

I can last 12 hours out in the streets. :)

auron said:
having lockers are good. beside security, the only reason is that ppl will abuse the lockers.
agreed.
Now adays you do not know what will happen..
take for example, have you guys realise how come all the dustbins are missing at all MRT stations?? - SECURITY reasons..simple as that

Status
Not open for further replies.