Lock the Lens Release Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Ow

Mar 27, 2006
Hi,

Is there any aftermaket attachment which can disable the Lens Release Button when I sling the camera around when I am out? This to prevent my lens from being stolen....

Reason : My dad went to China and his lens got stolen when people started crowding around him pushing him to buy postcards and stuff.......

Any advice?

Thanks again

Regards
Andrew

Simple solution.

Sling it to the front.

Well in reality it is not as simple as to sling in the front. In fact the camera was sling at the front when 4 people actually surrounded my dad literally pushing the postcards and books to his chest. Had to shrug them off, say NO, and at the same time take care of his other valuables, passport, ... etc and I guess this was when it happened.

Any other valuable advice?

Simplest is to tape the button down with several layers of duct tape.

But the best way is still to ensure that all valuables are stored tucked away, hold cam/bag high up, turn body sideways and move away from the mob.

Well in reality it is not as simple as to sling in the front. In fact the camera was sling at the front when 4 people actually surrounded my dad literally pushing the postcards and books to his chest. Had to shrug them off, say NO, and at the same time take care of his other valuables, passport, ... etc and I guess this was when it happened.

Get a P&S camera, or even better, a disposable film camera.

Now,try to remove my lens?! :cool:

Woah... in tat case, they may even cut off the straps and pull it off anyway...

I think its still better to take good care of own belongings rather then relay on other security device.. :cool:

Thank you for the replies and suggestions. Have been searching the www and realised that the same stunt was also played out in Russia... same mode some method. I guess these crooks are all waiting for us to take out our cameras....

http://journals.worldnomads.com/george/post/9432.aspx

I am going for the gaffer tape option! It is not the best solution, but better than nothing.

When my dad called to break the bad news I was also shocked that this can happen? The usual reactions of WTF? You could have....? Why didn't you....? You mean people take you lens and you still dun know...? It took a while for me to gather my thoughts before I realised that I guess no matter how careful we are safeguarding our precious assets, we cannot stop the envy of other people around us when we take out our equipment. So if some thugs want to steal, rob or snatch; we really do not have much options...... Your LIFE or your CAMERA? --> Yes some of us can be really proud (like me) and dismiss the possibility of this happening; but at different points in our life we have also not lost our house keys, car keys, wallet, handphone, ... etc.

To the naysayers --> Good Luck!

To my dad --> Thank god you are alive! Came back fast and take care of your grandchildren! :) Luckily I dun have to go Giordano buy white colour t-shirt (somemore during the GSS)...... Are you going to stop over HK for shopping? You got PM....

Status
Not open for further replies.