Locations for gold coast

teeteng

Mar 22, 2009
Dear clubsnappers...I'm heading down to gold coast this coming December for holiday and hopefully take some nature photographs. Planning to head to the nature reserves for "inspiration". Do any of you have any advice on the terrain and the conditions for photography. More specifically, whether the hike in the nature reserves tough or it is easily accessible. I will be covering a few main areas...surfers paradise, tamborine mountains, bryon bay, sunshine coast and Brisbane. I will be there for 6 nights.

Any constructive is much appreciated.

Reproducing my email conversation with a friend and fantastic photographer, Anthony:

>>

Head south from Brisbane and you hit the Gold Coast, about an hour away. It has a few good headlands like Burleigh, but the further south you go, the better it gets. Another 15 minutes or so on and you get to Fingal head... One of my absolute favorite places. If you are looking for one single place to go and leaving from Brisbane, this is the one I would recommend!
Fingal Head 1
Fingal Head 2

Head another few minutes south from there and you have Cabaritta and Hastings point...
Cabaritta and Hastings 1
Cabaritta and Hastings 2

From there, you get to Byron Bay.. about 1 hour 40 from Brisbane. The headland is superb and you get a good view back across the bay towards Mt Warning...
Towards Mt Warning

If you're keen to have a couple of days away from Brisbane, you could base yourself at Byron. It has a world wide reputation for a reason! From there you then have easy access to Broken head and Lennox head which are about 15 to 20 minutes south again. Broken head has always been a favorite, and I've recently shot Lennox for the first time... Let's just say I'll be spending a lot more time there!
Lennox Head

From Byron, you can also head 20 minutes inland to shoot around Mt Warning. The climb up Mt Warning is excellent.. around 4+ hours return and a good work out with a chain climb to reach the summit... fun in other words! The views from the top on a clear day are well worth it.

>>

Took his advice for the road heading north, well-spotted coastlines
I'm betting his advice for the south would be the same if not better
Cheers and have fun!

Reproducing my email conversation with a friend and fantastic photographer, Anthony:

>>

Head south from Brisbane and you hit the Gold Coast, about an hour away. It has a few good headlands like Burleigh, but the further south you go, the better it gets. Another 15 minutes or so on and you get to Fingal head... One of my absolute favorite places. If you are looking for one single place to go and leaving from Brisbane, this is the one I would recommend!
Fingal Head 1
Fingal Head 2

Head another few minutes south from there and you have Cabaritta and Hastings point...
Cabaritta and Hastings 1
Cabaritta and Hastings 2

From there, you get to Byron Bay.. about 1 hour 40 from Brisbane. The headland is superb and you get a good view back across the bay towards Mt Warning...
Towards Mt Warning

If you're keen to have a couple of days away from Brisbane, you could base yourself at Byron. It has a world wide reputation for a reason! From there you then have easy access to Broken head and Lennox head which are about 15 to 20 minutes south again. Broken head has always been a favorite, and I've recently shot Lennox for the first time... Let's just say I'll be spending a lot more time there!
Lennox Head

From Byron, you can also head 20 minutes inland to shoot around Mt Warning. The climb up Mt Warning is excellent.. around 4+ hours return and a good work out with a chain climb to reach the summit... fun in other words! The views from the top on a clear day are well worth it.

>>

Cheers and have fun!

wow this is amazing information! i didnt know that brisbane/gold coast have such amazing photographic opportunities!

been to brisbane, gold coast and bryon bay before but it was more for adventure/realaxation and less of photography. guess i will check out these places the next time i'm back. there!

Great pictures...thank you so much for sharing. Will definitely check out these spots...Cheers mate

>>

Fingal Head 1
Fingal Head 2

Cabaritta and Hastings 1
Cabaritta and Hastings 2

Towards Mt Warning

Lennox Head

>>

Cheers and have fun!

Are there any other clubsnappers who have explored the wonderful landscape around Gold Coast? Any precious advise will definitely help to enrich my photography trip.

I quite enjoyed the trails around Springbrook National Park.
The trails weren't really tough, and lots of lush greenery to explore. Quite a good macro hunting ground :)
It's not far from the main Gold Coast beach area.
Really depends on where you'll be based. Will you be spending the 6 nights in one location?

ZerocoolAstra said:
I quite enjoyed the trails around Springbrook National Park.
The trails weren't really tough, and lots of lush greenery to explore. Quite a good macro hunting ground :)
It's not far from the main Gold Coast beach area.
Really depends on where you'll be based. Will you be spending the 6 nights in one location?

I'm staying in beachcomber at surfers. Spring brook is one location n thinking of going tamborine as well. I'll stationed in the apartment for the 6 nights

I'm staying in beachcomber at surfers. Spring brook is one location n thinking of going tamborine as well. I'll stationed in the apartment for the 6 nights

Tamborine quite worth going. There is an old town up there which looks like it belongs in a European alpine region from the 19th century :)
Gotta plan your timings if you are going for a serious photography trip. Sunrise is SERIOUSLY early in Dec ;p

Last edited: