location to photographing street/city light trails with model

Jaycelyn

Feb 9, 2015
Singapore
Hi there!

I need to do a fashion photoshoot and am thinking of having light trail effects as background for my model to pose. I dont know if it is possible.. so need some advice on that! It can be from either street/road lights, or just any similar lights effect from city lights (and then to photoshop).

Big question here is:
Where is a good location to capture beautiful lights as background in a photoshoot with a model?
ideally with the light trail efffect i want :)

clarke quay has some beautiful lights but i would love a modern and classy feel to the photoshoot
looked through some photos taken at marina, flyer etc.
But just the lights enough isn't enough to achieve what i want

Ideally I would love a location with moving lights and modern&sophisticated background
cityscapes have the feel i want to achieve, but i dont think its great to just photoshop the light trails (that'll be weird)
yet i cant find a nice street/road to capture the moving vehicle lights

Any advice and recommendations are appreciated ^-^
thank youuu

Any sample pic of what you'd like to achieve?

Yes, please show some examples of what you are looking for, so we understand what you want and able to help you better.

if you unable to find any examples, three possibilities;
1), no one done this before, you are the first one to come out with this idea,
2), it can not be done.
3), it can be done but it sucks.

Yea.. if no example and just blind guessing, then I guess you can always go to city area.. a lot of cars after office hours when people are going home.

Also read more in the land/cityscape section of this forum.. you can find nice samples & locations there.

Overhead bridge near Clarke Quay Central (going from Clarke quay towards China town) does provide an option of light trail/car trail with some decent buildings in the background. I did some time lapse and fun shoots over there. Not sure whether that will fit for what you want to achieve.

hello all! thx for all the replies! I did some quick search and found some similar effects of the light trails i wanted

similar light trails im looking for:

6980f3529d23b6bfb39978e1ecd31146.jpg

Sophie-Sumer-Dennison-Bertram4.jpg

wedding-photography-composites-1-600x475.jpg

this last one right above is actually done by combining a few shots together as stated by photographer
previous 2 idk :(
but this same photographer did mention how to do it goo . gl /Fco43q
so im wondering if thrs any good location recommendations to do this?
and hopefully a place convenient (with toilet and so on) because my model got a few garments to change

also!
the background for the photos above are ok
but if thrs a similar feel to this one below then its best
of course i dont really need a birds eye view as long as the feel is similar
i kinda just need both the building and moving light trails
37a79bb3c939317bae8e8506016d7187.jpg

in fact actually my photographer is still a student
so im not sure if he is able to do this though he can try (still yet to discuss with him)
but in case its too time consuming to capture the light trails (because we have quite a tight schedule on the photoshoot day)
is there a location similar to this one below?
a67c3aafd60afe894078ebda81ca2978.jpg

still looking through the various locations recommended on the forums around
but thanks bhairav for the recommendation :)
will visit and look into it

Last edited:
this technique is call "dragging the shutter", you need to use very slow shutter speed to capture the movement while asking your model/s to hold the pose through out the exposure time, how long is the exposure time is depends on brightness of the scene and how fast the object move from one end to another end. the models here light by are additional light, judging from the quality of the lighting on the models.

this photo is using "flash freeze motion" technique.
the photographer move together with the model, and using a flash to capture the sharp image of the model with slow shutter speed, you can see some ghost image of the model's hand and the painting on the road.

not very difficult to do, but just need a lot of trial and error.

Yes, shot separately and using photoshop make composite will have a better control.

You can try this area, is just outside Esplanade.

also!
the background for the photos above are ok
but if thrs a similar feel to this one below then its best
of course i dont really need a birds eye view as long as the feel is similar
i kinda just need both the building and moving light trails
37a79bb3c939317bae8e8506016d7187.jpg

in fact actually my photographer is still a student
so im not sure if he is able to do this though he can try (still yet to discuss with him)
but in case its too time consuming to capture the light trails (because we have quite a tight schedule on the photoshoot day)
is there a location similar to this one below?
a67c3aafd60afe894078ebda81ca2978.jpg

still looking through the various locations recommended on the forums around
but thanks bhairav for the recommendation :)
will visit and look into it

You can try this area, just beside the flower dome of the garden by the bay.
http://www.istockphoto.com/video/skyline-of-marina-bay-singapore-43238524?st=93d754e

or this, beside Esplanade looking at CBD.

http://www.istockphoto.com/video/skyline-of-central-business-district-19048095?st=93d754e

or this, at MBS

http://www.istockphoto.com/video/sk...ess-district-in-dusk-hour-55033454?st=93d754e

or this, at Esplanade Park

http://www.istockphoto.com/video/skyline-of-central-business-district-in-dusk-40848118?st=93d754e

or this, at Garden by the Bay East

http://www.istockphoto.com/video/skyline-of-marina-bay-singapore-27382841?st=93d754e