Location advice: SG and BKK

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanef2.8

Feb 10, 2005
Sydney, Australia
www.pbase.com
Hello guys

This may not be the right forum to ask the question. I will be visiting Singapore from 19/3 to 22/3 and Bangkok from 23/3 to 28/3 - short break from work :)

I would like to get advice from you guys on what locations to shoot.

I want bring home a set of pic which shows the local cultural. Old colourful places are my favourite. Also if I want to shoot nightscenes of Singapore's cityscape, what are the popular places for postcard style nightscenes?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Zane

For Chinese Cultural - Chinatown (At Chinatown MRT Station)
For Indian Cultural - Little India (at Little India MRT station)
For Malay Cultural - Arab Street (Somewhere between Bugis and Lavender MRT Station)

The Merlion (our unique icon) a must take at night or day near The Fulleton.
Clark Quay - Night Life clubbing with all races relaxing on friday night (I think coz I do not club). Here you also see the nice Central Business District (CBD) view and skyline (take picture of this nice skyline at about 7pm where sky so deep blue). Both the Merlion and CBD skyline are great for postcard. Another place to take CBD skyline is at Esplanade (near the seaside) where you view across the sea and get a GREAT view of the CBD along with Fulleton Hotel. Fulleton Hotel also a nice night building with lights.

Oh yes, when you come to SG tell me I will bring you to eat wanton noodles (my mother's stall so it is free) ;)

Thanks so much ITGUY!!! Among the places you mentioned above, I've only been to Chinatown. Thanks for the advice again!!

Chinatown MRT and Little India MRT are both recently (1-2 years back?) in use after some years of construction. If you want to get more information on how to get there you can search for them at www.streetdirectory.com and it is pretty nice search engine for the streets and how to get there in details. Need films can go to Cathay Photo / Ruby Photo (Pro or consumer film also got, but must see whether got stock or not).

Enjoy your trip here.

theITguy said:
For Chinese Cultural - Chinatown (At Chinatown MRT Station)
For Indian Cultural - Little India (at Little India MRT station)
For Malay Cultural - Arab Street (Somewhere between Bugis and Lavender MRT Station)

The Merlion (our unique icon) a must take at night or day near The Fulleton.
Clark Quay - Night Life clubbing with all races relaxing on friday night (I think coz I do not club). Here you also see the nice Central Business District (CBD) view and skyline (take picture of this nice skyline at about 7pm where sky so deep blue). Both the Merlion and CBD skyline are great for postcard. Another place to take CBD skyline is at Esplanade (near the seaside) where you view across the sea and get a GREAT view of the CBD along with Fulleton Hotel. Fulleton Hotel also a nice night building with lights.

Oh yes, when you come to SG tell me I will bring you to eat wanton noodles (my mother's stall so it is free) ;)

Can i join in, for the free wanton noodles part?? ;)

that's Boat Quay for the low buildings, the higher buildings at the back are consider inside Rafles Place. i think this guy is shooting from here or along the stretch of river

i'm going to thailand on 23th, maybe we'll bump into each other at the airport on that day? :dunno:

Zane,
if you want to shoot religious buildings to reflect Singapore's multi-cultural facet, the following are my suggestions:
Chinese - Thian Hock Kheng Temple at Telok Ayer Street
Indian - Sri Mariamman Temple at South Bridge Road x Pagoda Street (China Town)
Malay - Sultan Mosque at North Bridge Road & Bussorah Street
Christian - St Andrew's Cathedral at City Hall

There are others but the above four are all heritage buildings and were amongst the oldest buildings in Singapore.

Don't know BKK enough to recommend except that if you have enough time, a day trip or half day trip to the Floating Market may be worth your while. Here are some of my pics.
Floating Market at Damnoen Suduak, Ratchaburi

Hope you'll enjoy your trip :)

Regards
EK

Thanks for those links!!

I will check out the Merlion and the Boat Quay for sure.

Yes, Quekky, I may bump into you at the airport. If you see a 30yo Chinese guy, chubby, with Lowepro Minitrekker backpack, possibly with a tripod bag and a slim beautiful young chinese lady (my wife is reading too). That chubby Chinese guy is me :)!!

ekchua said:
Zane,
if you want to shoot religious buildings to reflect Singapore's multi-cultural facet, the following are my suggestions:
Chinese - Thian Hock Kheng Temple at Telok Ayer Street
Indian - Sri Mariamman Temple at South Bridge Road x Pagoda Street (China Town)
Malay - Sultan Mosque at North Bridge Road & Bussorah Street
Christian - St Andrew's Cathedral at City Hall

There are others but the above four are all heritage buildings and were amongst the oldest buildings in Singapore.

Don't know BKK enough to recommend except that if you have enough time, a day trip or half day trip to the Floating Market may be worth your while. Here are some of my pics.
Floating Market at Damnoen Suduak, Ratchaburi

Hope you'll enjoy your trip :)

Regards
EK

Thanks for the names. I will definitely bring them with me!!

Thanks for those link to those photos. They are by far one of the best set of photos of the floating market. That gave me a lot of inspiration. I know that the floating market is quite far from the city and it starts really early in the morning. Just wondering what's the best method to get there. Some said I can go there on our own and catch a coach, but you know, I don't speak the language their so it's a bit difficult!!

Hi Zane
Thanks for your visit and comments wrt my Floating Market gallery.
I don't have the contact of the tour operator in BKK with me anymore :( but there are many that offer this itinery, either a half-day tour to the floating market which includes a long-tail boat ride to the floating market and subsequently to the Cobra Snake show. The full-day tour includes a trip to the rose gardens. You can make enquiries with the hotel. No problem with the language, the guides speak english.
Enjoy.

EK

Thanks for the info EK.

I think I will see if I can get there myself otherwise the full day tour is not a bad choice.

Thanks
Zane

Status
Not open for further replies.