Local Sets

flitstoned

Mar 15, 2008
Could someone explain why everyone prefers local sets even when the piece of equipment is out of warranty.

Yes used items. Once it is out of warranty what difference does it make if local or not local

Once I heard the comment that sets purchased elsewhere would not be accepted in local service centers. I have no clue whether this is true or just another rumor with 'kiasu' emotions in the background.

I don't think so.
Once it out of warranty. All its value will be based on the condition only.
I think it's not everyone prefer local sets. Just, what you can find locally are almost local sets. Just it.

If you are willing to pay for a grey set that has no local warranty and it is much cheaper, then go for it. Those who buy 2nd hand will know what they are looking for and if the lens is a Legacy lens, all the more people will want to get it.

My question was whats the difference between a grey set and local set when both are out of warranty. Many people ask me if its a local set even though I have stated 'Out of Warranty'.

My question was whats the difference between a grey set and local set when both are out of warranty. Many people ask me if its a local set even though I have stated 'Out of Warranty'.
If the equipment is bought from a store that gets its stock from the official importers for that country, then it is an official import and not a grey set. When this item goes out of warranty, Nikon will still service it but at a cost. Eg. Official Nikon Sg item bought in Sg or official Aus Item bought in Aus through the official importers.
Grey sets are not brought into the country of sale through the official importer and will not be serviced by Nikon whether in or out of warranty. Any warranty is usually offered through the private importer themselves or third party. If out of warranty it will need to be serviced by third parties, as opposed to Nikon.
That’s the way it works in Australia and the US as far as I know. I haven’t checked specifically in Singapore but have to assume the policy is the same here.

In other words, out of warranty official sets be it SG sets or US sets of Aus sets etc. can still be serviced by Nikon Singapore, but at a cost.
Grey imports will not be serviced by Nikon Sg.
I’m not exactly sure how it’s tracked though.

Where it gets tricky is official sets but bought overseas officially through that country’s official importers that are still in warranty.
My understanding is that warranty is only honoured in the country where it is bought.
In Sg, it is treated as an out of warranty item but can still be serviced at a cost.
It is not treated as a grey set.

In other words, out of warranty official sets be it SG sets or US sets of Aus sets etc. can still be serviced by Nikon Singapore, but at a cost.
Grey imports will not be serviced by Nikon Sg.
I’m not exactly sure how it’s tracked though.
I don't know what is "grey sets" you indicated. We are not going to buy a lens from Uganda of course. If Nikon Singapore accepts overseas sets like from US, UK or Aus. So what's the difference? We are not going ask for free services even for the local set.

Grey sets are just sets not bought through Nikon’s official distribution channels. So in the age of the online shopping, purchasing eg. a HK or Korean set from a private importer importing to SG would mean that set is grey. So if Nikon Sg’s Policy is the same here, then a grey set won’t be accepted for servicing at all regardless of whether you are paying or not.
A grey set is not the same as a set bought overseas at a retailer that supplies official Nikon products to that country. Eg. If you holiday in Japan and bought from MAP camera or something, it’s an official set with warranty in Japan. Back in Sg, you can get it serviced in Sg at a cost (whether in warranty or not) but won’t be rejected.
Similarly if you bought an official set in Sg, and you move overseas to work or migration of whatever. Your official set can be serviced by Nikon overseas but at a cost rather than being rejected because it is not a grey set.

I just realised this is the general photography discussion and not specific to Nikon. So the grey policies I wrote about are referring to Nikon products.
Other companies will likely have different policies.
Eg. Olympus used to have world wide warranties but that has ceased now.