Local Pentax Pricing for K5IIs (and cameras) - We need better

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007
It took a long time for me to make up my mind to write this post.
I typically believe that we should be reasonable, with our expectations on local pricing.
After all, the distro and sellers got to make money.
Then we also get local warranty.
There is overseas shipping and GST so that adds up.
Finally, there is the hassle of dealing with defective goods if buying overseas.

But I look around today at overseas prices and I feel that I've got to get this off my chest.
The current pricing is just too bad compared to overseas prices.

Look at the K5IIs

Amazon JPN - Y80,807 = $1024
So all in (GST, Shipping ~S$50) = ~$1146
Amazon.co.jpF PENTAX ƒfƒWƒ^ƒ‹ˆêŠáƒŒƒtƒJƒƒ‰ K-5IIsƒ{ƒfƒB K-5IIsBODY ƒ[ƒpƒXƒtƒBƒ‹ƒ^[ƒŒƒX: ‰Æ“dEƒJƒƒ‰

Amazon US _ USD1079 = $1332
So all in (GST, Shipping ~USD50) = ~$1480
http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-5-16...?ie=UTF8&qid=1366156280&sr=8-1&keywords=k5iis

Here its ~$17xx.
There's also a bundle with a sigma lens, but lets be frank, how many ppl want that lens.
If its a $150-$300 off any other Sigma lens (or a better selection), then we're talking.

In the US, they have pretty lax return laws to cater into costs.
In JPN, they have probably the most direct of servicing support and impeccable Japanese service.
So we have neither here, but we pay the most.

To the APDS rep who sees this post, I'm not trying to tell you how to do your job.
Don't get me wrong.
I'm concerned and trying to give some feedback from the ground.
There are lots of factors thats going against the number of Pentax users from growing :

1. Pricing as shown above
2. Pricing of competitors
-the D7100 is now newly launched at 24mp no-AA filter, etc and its already at $14xx.
The K5IIs of course holds itself well if not better (if based off samples on DPReview), but D7100 is a just launched camera and we should really at least be matching price.
(In retrospect, I feel bad for those of us who trusted Pentax pricing locally from launch price till now)

This also applies to the K30.
Fantastic camera, probably best in class all things considered (handling; features; interface; WR; peaking; IQ; etc)
But we need a parallel importer (formerly emjay) to give us a good price of $6xx and perhaps help pull in newbies on a limited budget.
(BTW, also have to wait for a nobody and lightweight photographer like me to write a review on it and post it on Clubsnap and PentaxForums)

I just hope, pricing can be better and this will help the number of Pentax users grow.
Eventually, its going to be more profit for the distro in the long run, so no one looses.

Last edited:
It took a long time for me to make up my mind to write this post.
I typically believe that we should be reasonable, with our expectations on local pricing.
After all, the distro and sellers got to make money.
Then we also get local warranty.
There is overseas shipping and GST so that adds up.
Finally, there is the hassle of dealing with defective goods if buying overseas.

But I look around today at overseas prices and I feel that I've got to get this off my chest.
The current pricing is just too bad compared to overseas prices.

Look at the K5IIs

Amazon JPN - Y80,807 = $1024
So all in (GST, Shipping ~S$50) = ~$1146
Amazon.co.jpF PENTAX ƒfƒWƒ^ƒ‹ˆêŠáƒŒƒtƒJƒƒ‰ K-5IIsƒ{ƒfƒB K-5IIsBODY ƒ[ƒpƒXƒtƒBƒ‹ƒ^[ƒŒƒX: ‰Æ“dEƒJƒƒ‰

Amazon US _ USD1079 = $1332
So all in (GST, Shipping ~USD50) = ~$1480
Amazon.com: Pentax K-5 IIs 16.3 MP DSLR Body Only (Black): Camera & Photo

Here its ~$17xx.
There's also a bundle with a sigma lens, but lets be frank, how many ppl want that lens.
If its a $150-$300 off any other Sigma lens (or a better selection), then we're talking.

In the US, they have pretty lax return laws to cater into costs.
In JPN, they have probably the most direct of servicing support and impeccable Japanese service.
So we have neither here, but we pay the most.

To the APDS rep who sees this post, I'm not trying to tell you how to do your job.
Don't get me wrong.
I'm concerned and trying to give some feedback from the ground.
There are lots of factors thats going against the number of Pentax users from growing :

1. Pricing as shown above
2. Pricing of competitors
-the D7100 is now newly launched at 24mp no-AA filter, etc and its already at $14xx.
The K5IIs of course holds itself well if not better (if based off samples on DPReview), but D7100 is a just launched camera and we should really at least be matching price.
(In retrospect, I feel bad for those of us who trusted Pentax pricing locally from launch price till now)

This also applies to the K30.
Fantastic camera, probably best in class all things considered (handling; features; interface; WR; peaking; IQ; etc)
But we need a parallel importer (formerly emjay) to give us a good price of $6xx and perhaps help pull in newbies on a limited budget.
(BTW, also have to wait for a nobody and lightweight photographer like me to write a review on it and post it on Clubsnap and PentaxForums)

I just hope, pricing can be better and this will help the number of Pentax users grow.
Eventually, its going to be more profit for the distro in the long run, so no one looses.

Fully agreed..!!! In business point of view, a company should not only look at short term profit margin but rather long term/strategic view of of profit margins by enlarging it's market share. By heading towards a win win situation for Distri to Retail (B to B) and Retail to Consumer (B to C), it's not just profits alone but also promotes the brand awareness to existing and future to come users aka Pentaxian.

My two cents, for what it is worth .

First , its good to see APD taking out a large size advertisement to promote the PENTAX brand. Kudos for that .

However in the sea of Canon and Nikon , and even Olympus brand, greater awareness for the PENTAX brand needs to be created.

Competitive pricing is one.

There is also a need to showcase the what the K30 , K5s , can do , in terms of photography. One possible and direct way , perhaps is to hold a mini photo exhibition of pictures ( especially those from our award winners ) , in a mall or shopping centre . This will provide a brand exposure and platform for the PENTAX brand to reach out to more potential users.

A large community can then see actual pictures and hopefully will make a mental note of the brand for consideration when buying a camera.

Actually are other brands also having a significant premium over overseas prices? If not, then even less case for any explanation distro can give.

I always find BnS pricing is more attractive than anywhere else. :)

Here's a comparison. :bsmilie:

D7100 on Amazon.com : USD 1196, before shipping + GST and all that already $14XX
D7100 on Amazon.jp : 116,935 Yen, before shipping + GST and all that already $14XX
D7100 locally : $14XX

K5 on Amazon.com : $14XX
K5 on Amazon.jp : $11XX
K5 locally : $17XX

:bsmilie:

the 645D pricing diff is even more ridiculous, it's around mid-500K JPY in Tokyo, which is like 6K plus, in SG it's almost double.

the k5 iis in jakarta is around sg$13xx, local Indonesian warranty.

I guess we are back to the days when we bought our Pentax stuffs from amazon.

I need e-offers.sg to start selling K-5IIs...:bsmilie:

I almost committed to a K-5IIs and then this bundled deal came out! Why should I NOT have a choice whether or not to accept that Sigma lens? I rather save that S$160.00.

Last edited:
Not just the Pentax cams - with the new GR coming, I really hope APD hears us out!

LMAO!!

To me, don't say Pentax local pricing. Another factor that I see is 3rd party support. Guess the price for Sigma 30/1.4 by them? A ridiculous price of $7xx!

LMAO!!

To me, don't say Pentax local pricing. Another factor that I see is 3rd party support. Guess the price for Sigma 30/1.4 by them? A ridiculous price of $7xx!

We are not living in an era where everyone is naive and ignorant. Keep giving lenses that are irrelevant, are simply just gimmicks. Can we change the format already? Should have come up with better gimmicks already. Marketing techniques of the 80s...

I do agree we need better pricing.

However, I got to acknowledge APD is working hard to promote Pentax as a brand. In SG, it's hard to fight against the top brands locally where SG people are mostly brand conscious.

Consumers are also really price sensitive. Even though they bundled with a free lens, not everyone would be inclined to it. At least the deal should be you get the K5 at a reasonable price, and you can purchase the lens at a value price. The pricing now is not even making us competitive with the big brands.

But in my mind, it's weird that APD is not really pushing for K30 into SG Market. Pentax KX was the model which started people into looking into Pentax. Currently, we are losing the entry market tier badly. We have such an outstanding K30 but it's not penetrating the market.

Lastly, I hope RICOH Pentax work some magic soon. We are deprived by them for not giving us lots of stuff. :sticktong

e-offers.sg.... Where art thou..?

Japan online is selling at S$1017 for K5 IIs Body, +S$75 GST , + VPOST shipping S$58 there about = S$1150,
What is there to think about ? a 18-55 WR lens cost S$165 in Singapore shop !
SO if Singapore shop can deal at S$1315, it would be good.

But we are all waiting for the Pentax DSLR announcement ISN'T IT ! That is why everyone still Wait and See.

But we are all waiting for the Pentax DSLR announcement ISN'T IT ! That is why everyone still Wait and See.

Dude... I think you forgot that EVERYONE includes new DSLR owners and people who is considering in getting into Pentax.. Not only us few regulars lei..

The main aim is, even normal consumer knows how to compare price.. Don't tell me you want the local Pentaxians to be us only meh? -_-"..

I've yet to own a Pentax or Nikon gears, but i seem to take liking towards these 2 brands.
For months, i've been comparing Pentax & Nikon gears, reading review on websites & so on.
I've favoured on Pentax gears more than Nikon, due to the many pros that Pentax gives.
However, the cons are such that Pentax gears are not easily available & local price is
more expensive compare to oversea. Some lenses like the DA* 55mm is very expensive.
Lastly, It's difficult to have third parties support as well.
I believe that this high pricing is due to no availability of alternative sources in sg.
Clearly, if Emjay could bring in more Pentax gears it would offset the local price to a
more reasonable level. f u look at the Technogadget webstore, grey set of Nikon D7100 is
priced at around $14XX, the same price selling in local store. This shows that with local
grey set around, prices are going to be more competitive & reasonable.
I dont't know how long could Emjay survive, by selling K30, 2 kit lenses & some accessories.
Hope that Emjay could do better & Pentax gears are more reasonable to buy. i definitely love
to have a Pentax......

see and wait but don't bite the bait ............ :think:

....wait and see, only makes one more itchy ................ :bsmilie:

I've yet to own a Pentax or Nikon gears, but i seem to take liking towards these 2 brands.
For months, i've been comparing Pentax & Nikon gears, reading review on websites & so on.
I've favoured on Pentax gears more than Nikon, due to the many pros that Pentax gives.
However, the cons are such that Pentax gears are not easily available & local price is
more expensive compare to oversea. Some lenses like the DA* 55mm is very expensive.
Lastly, It's difficult to have third parties support as well.
I believe that this high pricing is due to no availability of alternative sources in sg.
Clearly, if Emjay could bring in more Pentax gears it would offset the local price to a
more reasonable level. f u look at the Technogadget webstore, grey set of Nikon D7100 is
priced at around $14XX, the same price selling in local store. This shows that with local
grey set around, prices are going to be more competitive & reasonable.
I dont't know how long could Emjay survive, by selling K30, 2 kit lenses & some accessories.
Hope that Emjay could do better & Pentax gears are more reasonable to buy. i definitely love
to have a Pentax......

Last time OP used to always bring in grey sets...

Some people started chipping in everytime there was a thread on OP saying that they were not honest and their sets were grey, blah blah blah, IIRC. That was when they stopped doing so.

So in some ways, sometimes we dig our own holes. :) I think grey is fine, as long as the decision to purchase grey is done with open eyes and with the knowledge of the implications. We should have a choice, but well, the market serves what the market demands, and that's how it's played out. :)