Local newspaper wants to purchase my pictures - Quotation help required


Status
Not open for further replies.

lynch

New Member
Oct 30, 2002
753
0
0
Visit site
#1
Dear CSers,

I am only a freelance/hobbyist photographer and was recently contacted by a local newspaper who wants to use my photo for the papers.

This is the first time something like that happened to me, and i would really love to know how much to quote.

Any journalist or fellow photographers can share with me? either here or PM, if its sensitive?
Really do need help here. Thanks!

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=1604179#post1604179
 

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Senior Member
Feb 15, 2003
16,268
0
0
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
#2
lynch said:
Dear CSers,

I am only a freelance/hobbyist photographer and was recently contacted by a local newspaper who wants to use my photo for the papers.

This is the first time something like that happened to me, and i would really love to know how much to quote.

Any journalist or fellow photographers can share with me? either here or PM, if its sensitive?
Really do need help here. Thanks!

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=1604179#post1604179
depends wat pic... and the effort u went thru for that pic...
 

jsbn

Senior Member
Jul 24, 2002
2,944
0
0
Planet Eropagnis
#4
That's constructive enuff.

How much do you think its worth to you? How hard did u go thru to take that photo? Did u have to risk your life to do it?

Ppl ask me for quotes and I give them my quote for the amount of effort I will put in.
 

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Senior Member
Feb 15, 2003
16,268
0
0
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
#5
jsbn said:
That's constructive enuff.

How much do you think its worth to you? How hard did u go thru to take that photo? Did u have to risk your life to do it?

Ppl ask me for quotes and I give them my quote for the amount of effort I will put in.
strange... was i sounding sarcastic there? :think:

anyway art is based on the value creation thats deem upon the person holding it. to some it may be a piece of worthless junk, to others it may be a masterpiece. and since somebody wanted it, you should sell him at the price where he is comfortable & felt its worth that amount, at the same time sufficient enough for yourself to feel that its worth it...
 

yanyewkay

Senior Member
Sep 22, 2004
3,924
0
0
Cons digger.
#6
my dad ever bought an 8R photo from the press and it costed him ~$25SGD.

You probably can take is as a guage and sell a photo back to them at $50SGD? IMHO, it's rather cheap.

Or you can check out what stock photography sites are charging.
 

reachme2003

Senior Member
Oct 6, 2003
3,735
0
0
#7
ask yourself how rare is /are your photo/s? gauge how 'desperate' they want your photo/s? determine your bargaining position then.
 

#8
The price would depend on:

1. Where the photo is placed? Front cover, inside front cover or in the magazine section?
2. How large the photo will be published? Half page? Quarter page?
3. Duration of the rights they want to pay for? One day? One week? One month?
4. Which country they want for the rights of the photo? Do you want world rights?
5. Do they require exclusivity?

If you let me know these details I may be able to come up with a figure.

I hope this is "constructive" enough as I'm not in the contruction business. :bsmilie:
 

slaam

New Member
Aug 29, 2004
1,548
0
0
West
naturespies.blogspot.com
#9
hmmm i think they are right
it might help if you post a thumbnail of the pic..
but then again
its entirely up to you as well.
is it very precious that you are willing to part with the rights?
or is it a one-off use of it.

honestly I think that locally photos are usually undervalued so dun be surprised if you quote too high and the sale wont go through

but then there are the other perks with the local press using your photo like recognition which may be helpful if you are thinking of doing photography more seriously
 

raychan

New Member
Aug 27, 2003
398
0
0
53
Hillview
#10
Ask for an amount you think is reasonable, eg $100-$300.

If they are really eager to have that photo, they will be willing to negotiate if they think it is too high.

After that, ask them what sort of photos are they looking for and see if you have others that may meet their requirements.
 

jsbn

Senior Member
Jul 24, 2002
2,944
0
0
Planet Eropagnis
#11
Maybe he was expecting something longer rather den just 2 lines of text for the photo he went thru to capture? :bsmilie:
 

V

vince123123

Guest
#12
How about lets say:

1. Inside the main paper
2. Quarter page of 1/8 page
3. One day (its going to appear once only)
4. Singapore (since its a local newspaper and they only want to publish it once in their Singapore newspaper.
5. No need exclusivity.

Sion said:
The price would depend on:

1. Where the photo is placed? Front cover, inside front cover or in the magazine section?
2. How large the photo will be published? Half page? Quarter page?
3. Duration of the rights they want to pay for? One day? One week? One month?
4. Which country they want for the rights of the photo? Do you want world rights?
5. Do they require exclusivity?

If you let me know these details I may be able to come up with a figure.

I hope this is "constructive" enough as I'm not in the contruction business. :bsmilie:
 

ioriroger

Deregistered
Oct 12, 2005
163
0
0
#13
lynch said:
Dear CSers,

I am only a freelance/hobbyist photographer and was recently contacted by a local newspaper who wants to use my photo for the papers.

This is the first time something like that happened to me, and i would really love to know how much to quote.

Any journalist or fellow photographers can share with me? either here or PM, if its sensitive?
Really do need help here. Thanks!

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=1604179#post1604179
ha! must be a naked foto.:nono:
 

slaam

New Member
Aug 29, 2004
1,548
0
0
West
naturespies.blogspot.com
#15
haha ok for ur conditions i would bargain for $100 and full credits..
unless its really a naked photo and you dun want to be laughed at by ur relatives for taking 'dirty' pics for the next ten CNY gatherings..
 

Zplus

Senior Member
Mar 16, 2002
2,397
0
0
19
Some equitorial, tropical isle
#16
vince123123 said:
How about lets say:

1. Inside the main paper
2. Quarter page of 1/8 page
3. One day (its going to appear once only)
4. Singapore (since its a local newspaper and they only want to publish it once in their Singapore newspaper.
5. No need exclusivity.
Sounds like a typical request from the press... Sion? Any inputs??
:dunno:
 

jsbn

Senior Member
Jul 24, 2002
2,944
0
0
Planet Eropagnis
#19
slaam said:
haha ok for ur conditions i would bargain for $100 and full credits..
unless its really a naked photo and you dun want to be laughed at by ur relatives for taking 'dirty' pics for the next ten CNY gatherings..
Ah well, naked photos and photography again.

Don't bother explaining things to ppl who know nuts abt art. Let them luff. They will think anything that's naked is pornographic in nature (when they want it themselves... deep down in their hearts).
 

V

vince123123

Guest
#20
Yeap, I'm looking forward to the inputs too :)

Zplus said:
Sounds like a typical request from the press... Sion? Any inputs??
:dunno:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom