Local newspaper wants to purchase my pictures - Quotation help required

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynch

Oct 30, 2002
Visit site
Dear CSers,

I am only a freelance/hobbyist photographer and was recently contacted by a local newspaper who wants to use my photo for the papers.

This is the first time something like that happened to me, and i would really love to know how much to quote.

Any journalist or fellow photographers can share with me? either here or PM, if its sensitive?
Really do need help here. Thanks!

You really need to ask them to see if payment is offered in the first place. They will pay if your picture is worth it, like say pix of the tsunami and are very exclusive.

It really depends. Why don't you post the pic here, 250 pixels length is more than enough.

I was once approached by some govt, they expect FOC but credit to you, so need to check.

Any big organisation would expect you to give them the pictures FOC. If you truly believe in your stuff and believe that it is really good then you should sit down and have a negotiation with them on your payment terms. Many a times clients give in when they realised that they can't get away with talking me into giving them the pictures FOC. Of course there are those who refuses to pay but then why entertain them?

markccm said:
the last time i was approached, they did not offer to pay, just credit the picture to me thats all
Wahhhh nobody even wants my images :(

I was not even contacted when they published my photo in ST. Not even credit. They simply scanned from the print. Damme... Luckily I was shooting for a national event and alot of ministers involed.. So LL...closed one eye... If not I'll make a big fuse out of it!

:nono:

I remember viewing your beautiful pics on Panasonic forum. Those beautiful traffic and highway lights. Hope I am not wrong. It may not be those pics, but you surely has that standard!

Thumbs-up to you.

Hey Lifeworld,

wow you still remember those highway pics? LOL those were so long ago, coming to almost 1/2year soon. But erm, really, im still have lots to learn still.

To the "old birds" who are acting as "young birds", and everyone else who helped (LOL): Thank you so much fellas. You guys have helped me tons, though it may seemed to be just a sentence or two. or at least, I've learned how the market for such stuff works.

In the end, like most of you had said, they expected the photos to be FOC, but will however give credit to you. Unless the photo is something like tsunamis, or something really unusual that not many people would have, then its definitely worth going into a negotiation table.

The photo they requested is really nothing special. In fact, out of my entire gallery, I wonder why they chose the worst one. (scratch scratch) So, I decided to give them that one pic for FOC -- so now at least I have a grandfather story to tell to my grandchildren that Ah gong once upon a time had a picture printed in the local chinese newspaper. ;p

In return to you guys, I would like to share my humble gallery. Its actually a concert held in my school, during the HIP (Honor Intellectual Property Alliance) launch. Truth be told, I wasnt the official photographer. I just merely finished my lessons early, and went to take some photos to destress. Only had my camera + kit lens, didnt bring flash. So was rather limited.

The photo that the local news wants is the first one on the gallery. I know, beats the hell out of me.

http://links.smu.edu.sg/home/kelvin/gallery/SCREAM/

Critics are also welcomed. : )

Did they send a reporter and photographer down to cover the event? How did they find out about your shots and who contacted you? Editor or reporter?

Still hazy about how the entire situation came to be about.

P.S: Quite a good coverage you have there. Well done.

Well done ,Lynch. Your effort was good.

Zerstorer said:
Did they send a reporter and photographer down to cover the event? How did they find out about your shots and who contacted you? Editor or reporter?

Still hazy about how the entire situation came to be about.

P.S: Quite a good coverage you have there. Well done.

Yup, same here, how was your photo noticed??? As for my case, another CSer saw it and notified the govt.

Can ask how you did the gallery? Quite a nice looking flash thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.